Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steelhog, Jul 7, 2020.

1. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Truer words never spoken.

UmnumMAN likes this.
  2. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Seriously though, I’m no knife fighter nor do I pretend to be but if I’m ever in the unfortunate position where I do need to use one to defend my life odds are it won’t be with a hawkbill, kerambit, clinch or the like as those styles do benefit from some modicum of formal training to use most effectively.

UmnumMAN likes this.
  3. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    my friend, PEPPER SPRAY, nobody wins in a knife fight/altercation

UmnumMAN likes this.
  4. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    I said the same thing lol

Spray and run

Using a knife to stab someone to death up close takes a level of brutality I'm not sure just anybody can handle

5. Billy The Blade

Billy The Blade

Jul 30, 2014
    @craytab (Quote)
    "The tasman might seem like a good idea but the hawkbill really limits you to draw and slashing cuts."
    -I am disagreeing with with your assumption that a hawkbill cannot be used effectively as a stabbing weapon, which it can, and does not limit you to draw & slash cuts.
    Once the tip makes contact, the thrust behind it will penetrate.
    Again, training with whatever one decides to use/carry, etc is important.
    B.T.B

6. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    Get her an air weight S&W .38 and a well fitting holster that won’t flop around.

7. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    While I do agree with all of your points, it sounds to me that this is for a person that does not and will not have training with the weapon. It sounds to me like I poke em to get away type of situation.

People with zero training are very effective at stabbing people with the standard pointy objects we find in life, knives being a top choice. Happens every day all over the world throughout human history. Bring to mind the phrase "stick em with the pointy end". Sometimes, simple is best.

8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    A little Roger LCP .380 ACP with a clipdraw is what she needs. It only weighs 9oz. I always carried the Keltec version running and walking and one day it saved me.

9. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998

Microtech UTX 85 or 70. Nothing better for a lady runner to defend herself. Just the way the blade breaks out is intimidating. Perfect size. Great knives to boot. The bright green with red splashes is lively. Training for it is also a great work out (Krav Maga).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    W. Anderson likes this.
  10. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Add me to the list of those who do not advocate a knife as a self-defense tool. That said, I’m sure as hell not carrying a gun when I’m running 10K+. Strolling around, sure. Running...that’s a big nope.

I used to only carry a phone, but on one occasion last year I really needed a knife (to cut something, not to stab anyone). I tried several options, the vast majority of which I found completely unsatisfactory. I finally settled on a Spyderco Dragonfly clipped to the waistband of my shorts. The clip holds very securely, and anything bigger flops around too much and annoys me.

craytab likes this.
  11. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    I got stung by a bee while on a run and was really glad to have a knife on me so I could easily scrape the stinger out.

91bravo likes this.
  12. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    A Sabre pepper spray with a clip for the running shorts and a Delica.

And always a phone.