1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Laredo Bowie

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Boru13, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 25, 2000
    Apparently my search abilities are lacking.

I know there are several versions of the LB... the Carbon V and SM are marked but how can you tell the difference between the SK-5 and 01 versions?

2. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Hmm...Sk5 model only came in brown "cocobolo style" pakkawood handle and brown leather sheath.
    The 01 comes in black micarta handle and securex sheath. I think, anyway...

3. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I believe the O1 versions are marked, but the SK5 versions are not

4. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    There were some O-1 versions that had the brown "cocobolo style" handles

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  5. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Been trying to find a clear picture, but no such luck. But the O1 models will be marked like so opposite the Laredo Bowie side:

Cold Steel
    Taiwan
    O1

6. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 25, 2000
    Appreciate the info everyone.

What Ken posted above is what I picked up the other day.

For some reason I was thinking the SK-5 versions were made in China and the one I have is marked "Taiwan", that's what got me curious as to the steel type.

7. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    After Carbon V went away, they did make the SK-5 models in China for a year before switching to Taiwan

Boru13 likes this.
  8. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    We need a 3V bowie.

9. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    All black, hardware and everything and a fine black leather sheath. Call it the "Harvester of Sorrow" .

Man with no name likes this.
  10. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    The Chinese produced Laredos (China Dolls) used Japanese SK-5 steel and had handles with the same size and feel as the Carbon V versions. When production first switched to Taiwan with the same Japanese SK-5 steel and a price increase, the handle sizes varied greatly between knives, but was fixed later. I extensively tested the Chinese produced Laredos and hung the name "China Dolls" on them because of their excellent performance. Anyone who has actually used one has agreed.

Dream on. All that would only raise the price point, which CS has tried to keep constant.

Kels73 likes this.
  11. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    Dreams are free so I will.....

12. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    I do like the name, comes off of one my favorite albums of all time. Cool idea too, my carbon v trailmaster is close to a "harvester"

[​IMG]