1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Leather Thread! Masks and Sheaths for Axes

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by ithinkverydeeply, Aug 29, 2019.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    This is one I made for a customer. They wanted a belt sheath for a Rinaldi Trento hand axe. It has a swiveling belt loop.

[​IMG]

2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks for posting that info.... and, actually, for sharing your idea of using root barrier.
    From the distance that HDPE sheath looks like black leather.

Meek1, Yankee Josh and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    It takes on a nice industrial kind of look to it as it ages and scratches over time. Tough as nails stuff.

Meek1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I got a bunch of discontinued leather samples for free from a high end furniture store today. Ask around in your area, it won’t hurt, they are great for banging out simple masks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of those reds might look good on a fire axe.

FortyTwoBlades, Meek1, Fmont and 6 others like this.
  5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I only ever make masks for my axes. I try out different shapes but they're always variations of the same thing. I still wanted to contribute to the thread though so here's some photos. I made this one last evening for the legitimus connie. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The positive side to making simple masks is that every axe I have that is hung, 130+ at this point, has a mask! Here's a few of those; [​IMG]
    I have several axes that deserve a custom made quality sheath. Hopefully this winter I'll get inspired to take a long time with one and make something nice. These masks are all tight fittting and don't budge so that's good.
    I'll keep checking this thread for my inspiration!
    ITVD's sheaths are really something else... There's a few other guys on here who make some killer sheaths too but I just can't remember who at the moment... Hopefully they'll post and remind me!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Mack, DB_Cruiser, Meek1 and 5 others like this.
  6. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I like it. Simple. Practical. Functional. There is beauty in utility.

plumberroy, A17, Yankee Josh and 4 others like this.
  7. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I made this for my double bit, out of harness leather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made this one for a Vaughan 28 oz, framing hatchet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made this one for the Vaughan 8 0z. mini hatchet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O.B.

DB_Cruiser, Meek1, Travbud1 and 6 others like this.
  8. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I finally tried sewing leather. And I used welt construction for the first time. I purposely made it really snug. It barely fits but that's exactly what I wanted! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also have never burnished the edges either. I used water and the round part of an old file handle. Then I went over it with wax. It was a very simple sheath which is why I decided to try something new. I'm Happy with it!

Mack, DB_Cruiser, Meek1 and 9 others like this.
  9. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    And happy you should be! It is useful, user-made, solid, and pleasing on the eyes.

*I feel like I can see the bevel of the tool in the sheath.

Meek1, A17, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thank you!
    You can see the bevel! I thought about wet forming it because I've never tried that either. After all it was a night of firsts. But there's not really much shape to form to and it fits plenty snug the way it is.
    In case anyone is wondering, I didn't know this before this evening, and i thought I'd share it for that reason. If double stitching the thread length is 2.5x the linear length to be sewn. I had to look this up but can verify that it's good info. Just to save someone else the trouble of guessing or trying to find the right info. Ended up using 100" of thread for a 7" x 3.5" sheath. Also carnuba wax isn't the best for final burnishing... it's what I had and I'm impatient!

Meek1, A17, Fmont and 2 others like this.
  11. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    As I said before it isn't as pretty as many here but it is simple and easy to make . I just finished my first double bit version for my Cruiser axe I will post a picture soon

Meek1, Fmont, Trailsawyer and 2 others like this.
  12. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Well done Josh!! Finishing up the edges nicely makes a big difference in the overall look of a project. Did you make a stitching horse for yourself?

13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Being my first time stitching I didn't know I needed one. But after pinching it between my knees while sewing I can see the advantage of having one! That makes your legs cramp in weird places after awhile!
    I used a small dremel drill press for the holes. I need to get a few more items now that I'm doing something new. :confused::D
    Do you use wax for the edges? If so what brand if you don't mind sharing?

Meek1, Travbud1, A17 and 2 others like this.
  14. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    For sure! A chisel shaped stitching iron to punch your holes is preferable and you can only get your girlfriend to hold the thing for you so many times. :D

Unless I am leaving something an unfinished natural veg tan to darken with age I will not burnish the Edge. If I do burnish it, I just use water, and a wood burnishing stick to shape it. Then a little of the same regular beeswax I use for stitching to seal the edge.
    [​IMG]
    But that’s not what I typically do. Usually I am staining and sealing the leather and in those cases I am using Eco-Flo Edge Flex Paint on the edges applied with a rolling application tool.
    To prep the edge before painting I’ll moisten the edge just a little with water and shape it with wood. Then I’ll roll on a couple coats of the edge flex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  15. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Just do 4-6” at a time to get it in the sweet spot while it’s still wet.

Meek1, A17, Fmont and 1 other person like this.
  16. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    These are the ones I've made in the past year or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    You guys are all so damn good at this. I was okay with the collar I most recently made for a Plumb Connie. I cut the pattern and tested it, drilled some holes with brad points to try and get them as clean as I could. I had put collar in a cup and let it sit near the fire for a while until it was warm, and then I tied it on. Stretched a little more than I anticipated, but it fits real tight.

I need to do a lot more research into the proper procedure before I sink a lot of time into something ambitious. But there are a lot of axes here that have long since deserved something better than lots of duct tape and cardboard. And I've been putting it off too long!

18. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Real nice work! What’s the formed leather project behind it? Earbud case?

Fmont and Meek1 like this.
  19. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Thank you! The formed piece is a keychain slip for a Vic Classic. I've been making a slew of them to give to friends and family for the Holidays this year. Stocking Stuffers. Here's a finished one I did for my wife. She was the test subject and she likes it. I am doing a few now with a vinegaroon black which looks pretty sharp.
    [​IMG]
    Also wanted to add that I find your work inspiring. You make some fine stuff! Thanks again for your kind words!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  20. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Thank you for the kind words! That is a cool little design and your stamping work there is quite sharp. That’s some tough seeding in there.

Fmont, Yankee Josh and Meek1 like this.