1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Leatherman Tools in hot water!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by SkagSig40, Nov 16, 2004.

1. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    That is exactly right, and we pay for our actions.
    If you went to the link, most the firms who signed the paper against Bush and for Kerry were in the "Hiking Yuppy's" industries and not entirely immersed in the shooting sports. REI type folks from Ore and WA. Who is Black Diamond?

munk

2. Ben Arown-Awile

Ben Arown-Awile Banned by Moderators Banned

Aug 29, 2001
    "We are an employee-owned company made up of climbers and backcountry skiers who are committed to designing and producing the best equipment imaginable. Input into our design process comes from all corners of the world—the gear you use is the result of ideas, experiences and inspiration from a global family of climbers and skiers we trust. Because we're located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah, in the same day we can test an ice tool concept on the Scruffy Band, ride tele prototypes in the Cottonwood Canyons, and torque a shoe design on granite. The bottom line? Black Diamond gear is envisioned, designed, and manufactured by climbers and skiers with a mission—to make the best climbing and backcountry ski gear on the planet."

I haven't climbed for over 40 years and I never will again, but I do remember the soft pitons. Want to know more?
    Go here:

http://www.bdel.com/about/origins.html

3. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    Yeah look at the left wing loonies, hell if they had their way Kerry might be president.

Nothing like a good ad hominem to make a guy feel better huh?

Ever heard of the Gun Control act of '68? They have all the information they need already. Every year many FFL's get an inspection that is pretty comprehensive. The ATF auditors crawl through the bound books and compare entries against the 4470's. The gunshop I used to part time at had one in 2002, they crawled throught the books for three weeks. By the time it was over they had whatever they needed to do whatever they wanted. Don't forget that all the purchases are called in (and of course no one maintains that data, we are assured that it is not retained, even had the head of something or another P.O. some washington elitests that wanted it maintained vs the law as written), and that when an FFL goes out of business they have to surrender all the 4470's and other paperwork that they accumulated while in business.....

Anyone want the info let me know and I'll email you some of the bad bads they gigged them for. Stupid stuff.

4. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    The ATF got in trouble in the past for keeping 4473's past the age of destruction. But this repeats itself, every decade it seems. The last time it happened they got a court to agree with them that it was too late to change- their computers were already programmed. No, I'm not making this up.
    Anyway, I used to manage a gun store. I've got so many 4473's out in my name I'm probably filed.
    On the instant check? My name comes through in tenths of seconds. I must be in there somewhere.

Fortunately, most my friends are in too.

munk

5. SkagSig40

SkagSig40

Feb 1, 2001
    Munk you speek well and have a clear head on your shoulders! Sometimes I let my anger get the best of me. What makes me upset about this topic is that Leatherman who makes knives and tools for sportsmen, hunters, campers, hikers, mechanics ect. betraide all of us who believe in this way of life. His vote for Kerry was a stab in the back. Let's just say Kerry was President and guns were banned and kerry had a bill on his desk for the next step to outlaw "all knives and tools resembeling knives" or something like that. You can bet the farm he would sign it and Leatherman would be s*** out of luck.

Just because his product is not at the top of the list does not mean it never will be and if he and others keep voting that way all Americans rights will slowly keep vanishing! He and all Americans have the right to vote how they want. I just pray they will wake up and see the intentions of the people they think are going to better the country before it is to late. I put pro 2nd ammendment canadates above all else because the way I see it is that tis represents FREEDOM more then anything else...it covers a lot more then guns, it covers knives, multi tools, cars, jobs, money, homes and just about everything else in this great country. Let's keep it that way.

(sorry for rambling its late and I'm very sleepy!) Good nite! ;)

6. Ben Arown-Awile

Ben Arown-Awile Banned by Moderators Banned

Aug 29, 2001
    Elections and the two party system is nothing more than a ritual devised by the ruling class to keep the masses divided and let them believe they have some control over their destiny.

The same people have always been in charge. Both Bush and Kerry can trace their lineage to the European Royalty, specifically the House of Windsor.

So just because we fought the Revolutionary War, it doesn't mean we won. Some of the rules might have been changed, but the players and the game remains the same. And the People are never the winners.

7. Mr.BadExample

Mr.BadExample

Sep 11, 2002
    The guy supported Kerry because of Bush's awful record on the environment. Big deal. As was stated, I'd rather buy a product made in America. I voted for Bush but I will buy Leatherman unless he starts supporting Handgun Control Inc or similar.

8. spiraltwista

spiraltwista

Nov 29, 2002
    Well if I just bought things due to the makers politics or morals etc instead of the quality of there products, I bet id just own a heap of s+*t.

Spiral

9. cliff355

cliff355

Apr 19, 2003
    ---deleted---

10. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    He did not just vote- he put his large name recognition behind an adverstisment. Because of that, he takes what repercussions there are. How many of you understood or particpated in what happened to Smith and Wesson?

Khuks are not far behind guns in terms of limits and possible law restrictions; just ask the Australians.

It's not about Ketchup. Free speech works both ways.

munk

11. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Regardless of what Tim Leatherman's stand is politically I will keep buying his products over Gerber as long as he is in business. We shall see if his little nod to Kerry affects business in the long run. Personally, i doubt it will. People are fickle and forgetful for the most part. Tim makes a great product that i personally like better than what Gerber makes. Both are good, but Tim's is more to my liking. Simple as that, for me.
    This kind of reminds me of when i switched ketchup brands during the race. It had nothing to do with Kerry or Bush, but the first time i heard Kerry's wife open her mouth (right before she repeatedly stuck her foot in it) I could not stand that woman. Heinz has always been my ketchup of choice, but after listening to that shrew go on and on about herself (when she was supposed to be going on and on about Kerry) i had had enough. I bought Hunt's ketchup. I have since learned that I *hate* Hunt's ketchup more than i dislike Ms. Kerry. as soon as i finish off the God awful stuff, I'll be back to Heinz even if it lines a grouchy detatched woman's pocket.
    The bottom line is that you all have your freedom to buy what you want to buy and support whom you want to support. Like Yvsa, I did not vote Bush because of being pro-bush. I voted Bush because Kerry wouldn't tell me where he stood or more importantly how he was going to get there. You all make good points. So what's the argument? Buy his stuff or don't buy his stuff. What's the hubbub?
    As far as having a fill in the blank type section on the ballot, didn't one of the Norse countries have something like that for a long time and Donald Duck was always the 3rd most popular with something like 3% of the vote? Nader can't even get 1% here. Beaten out by a cartoon duck.

Jake

12. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003

Buy a store brand or else Red Gold if it's available in your area...

13. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Is there a problem with Gerber? I know they bought a Japanese knife line- maybe I have it backwards; the Japanese bought Gerber?

Which reminds me, who does make the best multi tool?

When I worked in the gun shop guys would come in with field experience- Lineman, electrical workers, plumbers- and there was a concensus but for the life of me I can't remember who won.

As for ketchup- Heinz is outsourcing; everyone is. That is a problem for both parties to think about unless we all wish to become Wal Mart Citizens.

munk

14. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    I agree with you 45-70. I know i should try different brands, but i eat WAY too many hamburgers and french (or freedom. take your pick) fries to be unhappy with my ketchup. I'll probably buy Heinz again, but at the rate i'm choking down the Hunt's, TH-K will be long dead before i need more. I bought a big ol' bottle of this stuff at Sam's Club. There's like a gallon of the gunk there;) Another thing i look at is this: If everyone in the country got pissed at TH-K and everyone stopped buying Heinz ketchup...she'd still have billions of dollars. A personal stand means something, but so does enjoying a good burger.
    Don't get me wrong, I fully support everyone's freedom to voice their concerns. But i'll still buy her ketchup...i just won't vote for her husband;)

I say screw the whole thing. Put Ah-nuld in office like he wants;) Ooo and Jessie the Body as VP. sorry, bit of a drift.

jake

15. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Unfortunately, Arnold loves the AWB.

But which multi tool is the best?

munk

16. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    How can any guy that has made a career out of making movies with approx 472 machine guns per square inch support a ban like that?? Never mind. I'm not a gun guy, but i'd like the freedom to be one if i choose so. Munk, i think a lot of people like Victorinox' Swiss Tool the best. I've never handled one, though. Personally, Leatherman's stuff just feels built better to me. Gerber makes a good product with a high gadget factor, though. I kind of see the two companies as Victorinox and Wenger. Vic makes a better tool fit and finish wise. Wenger makes a good tool, but not a polished but has a higher gadget factor.

In other words, both Gerber and Leatherman are good.

Jake

17. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Between leatherman and Gerber one was alleged to last longer. I think it was Gerber.

As for hollywood action heros- most of them are anti gun. And why not? They've demonstrated irresponsbile (albeit fantasy) gun handling. They think that's what guns and knives are. If you own one you'll start stabbing and shooting.

munk

18. newdovo2

newdovo2

Sep 7, 2004
    :D
    too funny!

19. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    A woman is just a woman, but a cigar is a good smoke.

munk

20. richardallen

richardallen

Oct 15, 2002
    Well it's interesting to say the least. If someone decides not to buy a product any longer, why ramble on it on the internet for such a long time ? Why not just stop buying it ? If you decide not to buy anything, that's fine with me, but why state it in huge bold letters ?

Apart from that,I think it's way over the top the way these guys are behaving. It all seems to be about gun conctrol. I understand this is a big issue to you americans, if I'd be allowed to own a gun it would be a big issue to me as well. Still I wonder, if there were two candidates, and one of them was pro gun control, and the other one against gun control, but advocates killing non-christians (for instance), I wonder if maybe he'd get enough votes just because of the gun control thing.