1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Leg Vise Fair Price?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by cjweaver13, Jul 13, 2018.

1. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    Looking for some relatively quick opinions. Came across a Columbian 4.5" leg Vise on Craigslist. Guy doesn't think it's hardly been used and is asking $120. Trying to gauge if that's fair as I don't see anything to compare it too that size. eBay put it in the ballpark if not maybe a little better Everybody by me is trying to sell 6"-8" for upwards of a $1000. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    I say thats not bad price if in decent shape. Typically I give no more than 100$ when find a decent vise. but will offer alot more if its pristine like new, extra large or something else special about it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    Does like new include rust/patine but grips still have the hashtag serrations in them?

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    In that condition I would say $75-125 is the range. I just gave Steve one that is pretty much identical to that one.

I see the folks who list these at $500-1000 and think I should offer them some of mine at half price.

5. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    haha yes some pricing has blown my mind. In some instances it comes to over $10 a pound

6. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    I also have one like that and I paid like $60 for it. But Stacy is right for a little leg vise like that the prices are typically over $100 now. I see about 50 of them every september during the Quatstate tailgate sale here in Ohio and that's usually what they go for.

I have two both came from guys that had no use for them, which saved me some money.

-Clint

7. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    What's this Quatstate tailgate you speak of? Ohio is a hop and a skip away if I should come out

8. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Yes, thats about right. Rust/patina is ok. You can always give it a scrub, clean & oil its screw, nut, pivot and thrustwashers.

My criteria for ”good” means nothing missing or bent and still works.
    I sometimes buy damaged or parts missing vises too but only if basically scrap price.

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The best deal is a vise with a missing/broken spring. You can make one from $2 worth of 1084 1/8" bar stock.

10. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    I ended up picking it up for $100. Good condition based on what you all have said. All of the hashmarks on the trips are there, threading is perfect, and it's complete ready to use. I'll try and get a couple of close ups later.

11. Wild Bill 1

Wild Bill 1

Aug 7, 2013
    It looks like you will have to make your own spring .Not a big deal
    . WB

12. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    It has the spring in it. Picture is fuzzy I uploaded but if you zoom in you can see it. It's a U shaped one rather than diagonal I've seen on others

13. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    You got a good deal.
    Appears that Columbian is a newer model. Note flat end on the screwhead, and (if its original)the mounting tab is simply formed plate. Dropforged steel jaw & leg. Whats arguebly better than wrought vise.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  14. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    That mounting plate seams alittle flimsy and so does the spring. I love my iron vises. Thy can take a beating and not flinch. I got one for $25 and the other forlike $75 I think. I love themlunting platesthat use a tapered key that you hammer and it snugges it right up tight.

15. Jonathans

Jonathans Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I paid $90 for my 5”er at an auction. 8” vises in good shape normally sell for $800 to $1200, IF you can find one.