1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Let’s see some Bark River knives!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PastorK, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
    Understand herisson; I also understand that this board doesn't think too much of Mike's history; two sides of every story. And his knives? Yep "honest good" Been using them for years and have a number of them.. They are that good and then some... If some have a "bad aftertaste" well then don't buy , we others will. Just an effort at honest clarity on my part as well. Seriously... And I'm done

2. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    They can be good. Honest good? Ehhhh......[​IMG]

3. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    His history is "pissy" at best. The knives are "really good". So, here we are at a cross path. The knife is a special item. It doesn't only cut your food or your enemy, it does also break open crates, doors, shutters and some packages. So, you want a reliable, trusty tool. Backed by a maker you trust (cough, cough). Yes, that's how it is.

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Backed by the maker is the potential issue. I have heard tales. But in general I buy a knife and unless I break it or it falls apart, I have no dealings with the manufacturer/maker and never have. When I was a kid, I broke the blade on my Case Barlow slip joint cutting some pine. I was heart broken. I sent it back to Case and they sent me a new one. That won me over to Case for many years. Now I see some issues with Case slip joints from time to time and I generally won't buy one unless I handle it at a store. I suppose I can do that now with Bark River knives in terms of handling with KSF fairly close by and the big East TN knife store being within driving distance as I visit the Smoky Mt NP reasonably often. Both carry Bark River knives. They however are not the first knives I look at when it comes to fixed blades.

5. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    You are very level headed. It's a good point to start. In my book.

6. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    My last one on this, and I'll let the folks get back to posting pics of their BRKs. Like I said, if the character of a maker is a nonfactor to you, it's cool with me.

Anyway, when BRK puts out an entire production run of clinkers, they will fix them. So, you can say that about them.

22-rimfire likes this.
  7. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
    Yep (cough, cough or not) BRK's are a company I trust and use and will continue to buy from... and I cut more than "some packages and food"...

Michaux

HKGuns likes this.
  8. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Too much fuckery, whatever you do about it is too much fuckery. End of story. So many brands are awaiting your attention. Waisting time with BRK is just that. Waisting time. Good knives, crappy owner, done... Go look elsewhere, the internet is so wide...

9. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2015
  10. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    I like the fire. Even if it's a dumpster fire...

jfk1110 likes this.
  11. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
    Yep... end of story... You waste your time where you want... "fu..y ?" Me and others will do the same. For sure the internet is wide and long ... Go find your maker... me? I got mine.... And yep this thread has turned into a burning waste; as I knew it would here.

Michaux

jmh33 likes this.
  12. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Folks have expressed their opinions and some of the regular haters have not participated. I find that okay. I know what the haters will say in general. My last knife (a week or two ago) was made by Arno Bernard. I could just as easily have chosen a small Barkie, but I didn't and in fact they weren't even considered. I envision one more small fixed blade for potential edc carry..... don't know when that will happen but I would like a small fixed bladed knife made by LT Wright. I am not crazy about convexed edge knives and that is what you get with BRKT.

13. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
    Yep; convex edges... and why?

Michaux

14. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I generally sharpen my knives on a bench stone and you have to really pay attention on convexed edges on a bench stone. Stropping is a better method for them, but I seldom get out my strop. I like "sharp" but it does not have to be hair popping sharp for me to be satisfied.

15. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
    Well, that's okay too...

Michaux

16. HKGuns

HKGuns

Jan 28, 2019
    Bravo-1
    3V / Black Canvas Micarta
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  17. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    I like the big bark river choppers, the tough steel, and the sweet convex grinds. I made some offers for a couple but have been turned down so far. This thread is for appreciating bark river blades, and I can't afford one yet, but I'd like to see some pics, so post 'em up!!!

18. Michaux111

Michaux111

Apr 28, 2015
  19. steelhog

steelhog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I actually really like BRK. I have never quite understood the distain for Bark River and Mike, although it has been this case on BFs for as long as I can remember. I have had nothing but good experience thus far.....

For those who have past knowledge of the issues can someone PM me or link an older thread that calls the issues many have problems with. Also even if there is a bad past - do those bad practices continue to this day? Is it beyond forgiveness? I still don't quite understand the issue so hoping for some info.

Aryan29 and andgrin like this.
  20. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    The more I look at this, the more I like it. Maybe that is the Bark River heat treat system? I know they farm the heat treat out....

CVamberbonehead and BigKurtHaze like this.