Let's go Canoeing!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by JGON, Jan 25, 2014.

1. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    Well I don't know about ya'll, but this winter up here in Wisconsin has been a real B$*@#! Above average snowfall + below average temps = NO CANOEING.

Do we have many paddlers here? Up until this winter, I had gone canoeing 35 of the last 36 months... the last two winters before this one didn't hold me back, but this one has caused me to have to pump the brakes on it for a while. I was just looking through some old pictures, and thought I'd share one of my last trip... This is the Vernon Marsh in Southeastern Wisconsin... It's a huge, hidden marsh with only a very tiny channel leading to it off the Fox River. I've taken 3 people here, and all 3 times I told them to keep their eyes peeled for the channel into the marsh and all 3 missed it. Unless you know where to go, you'd never know there was a whole other world back there. There is a labyrinth of reeds that you can paddle through for hours... days even. The handsome stud in the bow is Lucky the Canoe Dog, my loyal river companion.

If there are any other fiddle-paddlers here, give me a shout!

JGON

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Tribial

Tribial

Sep 11, 2013
    I have been known to paddle the kickapoo a little bit. And before that the Huron in Michigan. It is a terrible winter here in WI (and everywhere). Burning through lots of wood and worried about propane in the coming months. Definitely not as hard core as you though! 35 out of the last 36 is dampened impressive. I am lucky to get out 5 or ten times in a summer.

3. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    Whereabouts are you? Kickapoo is on my list for this summer... "The Crookedest River in the World".

4. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I love canoeing, but haven't been in some time. Now, I do own a sweet Gheenoe that we pulled out of the river and re-fiberglassed. What a boat. 13.5' long and you can stand up and pee over the side with no worries of tipping it. Draws around half a foot. I have a little 2 horse pull start motor to go on it. I love that setup and I don't have $200 in it.

5. Chapel

Chapel

Apr 2, 2012
    I prefer to canoe in the Adirondacks in upsate NY, Saranac Lake reigon. I also canoe a lot in the Hudson Valley where I live. I bought a nice solo canoe last year made by Placid Boatworks located in Lake Placid NY. The canoe is called the Rapidfire, it's 15' long, weighs 26 lbs. and flys across the water. I also like to bring my dog along though he is less than half the size of yours. I hope to do some extended canoe/camping trips this year, maybe a week instead of one or two nights.

6. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    We have a Mad River we use on lakes and rivers. We use sea kayaks when the kids aren't with us or when out on the ocean.

Our dog is an English Setter and he gets a bit restless in boats... He doesn't get to go with us in the canoe ;)

7. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I have an Old Town Guide 147 that I love. I only get it out about 5 times a year, but I enjoy every second of it.

8. RRaconteur

RRaconteur

Dec 7, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Adirondack Guide Boat design that originated up that way. But one will remain out of my price range for a few years yet, so I'll probably end up with a canoe in the short term.

9. dcycleman

dcycleman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I kayak the ct river

10. treeshaker

treeshaker

Dec 11, 2013
    i purchased a mad river hybrid 3 years ago, new craigslist $120.00. always had standard canoes. At 54 this is great, unreal fast and can really set up to fish. 3 man capacity, over 950# wt cap. and at 58 lbs i can go alone and portage with ease, I love river scanning. many many veins off Catawba river that open into 25-200 ac. "duck Ponds" ft to 10 ft deep. Most you will never see unless you are under the river bank trees and brush. I always carry my cell, in W/P, floating bag, and got a SPOT locator on line for 45$. It works because I have cked my path on my computer.. Stuff happens. BTW I love your dog, Mine passed DEC. 2013. from 6 months on regardless of weather, I paddle 12 months, even at 20-30 degrees, she never missed a trip. Damn, i miss that dog. great thread. Catawba runs NC Mtns into SC Ocean. have had mad rive in ocean many times as well, can stand up, but I will not

11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    This thread is really great. Pics!

12. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    There are many lakes here, so I am planning on picking up a canoe...but even if I had one right now, all of the local lakes have ice fishing camps set up on them right now :)

13. Tribial

Tribial

Sep 11, 2013
    I am between lacrosse and viroqua. The kickapoo was really really shallow this year. Scratched the bottom of the canoe a bit. It is fun though. We usually do a stretch around wildcat park.

14. troutfisher13111

Mar 30, 2006
    I have some great up close pics of mute swan taken from my canoe. Just can't seem to find them...

15. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    Not our canoe (we were using kayaks at the time)
    [​IMG]

There is a Bushfinger somewhere in this mess :D
    [​IMG]

16. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a BWCA guy... wifey and I paddle a Souris River Quetico 17. Great tripping boat for that kind of thing.

17. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    Here is another one from the kayaking days... I sold the kayak to buy a canoe so I could take the dog. I miss the performance of the kayak, especially in open water, but I wouldn't give up the ability to take the dog for performance. Some people find it to be a bit dicey, but I love winter paddling. And I mostly love being able to paddle the same area and see it during all 4 seasons... during high water and drought. Fall is great too, but there is just something about winter paddling to me that I love. You can see all the animal tracks by the waters edge, and there is nobody else out there.

JGON

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. Chapel

Chapel

Apr 2, 2012
    The ability to take my dog is the same reason I use a canoe as well JGON. You should check out the canoe I mentioned in my previous post (http://placidboatworks.com/rapidfire.html). You sit in it like a kyak and you use a Kayak paddle. You will not be able to keep up with a good ocean kayak but you will not be far behind. It is big enough for you, your dog and a weeks worth of supplies, you can get spray decks as well. It's very fast, light and stable. The only down side is the cost.

19. dcycleman

dcycleman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Nice, yeah I'm in the market for a canoe in the spring. I'm not letting go of my kayak though, wilderness systems tsunami 165. Same reason - dog.

20. troutfisher13111

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapel, those canoes look very interesting. Are they durable?