Lets see some Hinderer action

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by marcus52AR, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Pupdawg

Pupdawg

Mar 22, 2020
    No skinny non-flipper yet. I want one though.

2. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    Easy enough to disengage without thumb damage, but firm enough to be 100% reliable. They leave the shop with a well tuned lockup.:thumbsup:

mongomondo and JAB like this.
  3. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I haven't seen anything like that before. There's is a 3" skinny linerlock but that's about it.

4. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019
    Mine seems on par with all my other high end knives.

mongomondo and JAB like this.
  5. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019
    Anyone know the dimensions of the liner on a Xm-18 3.5" skinny. I don't have calipers. @Keyman may know, he seems really good on those things. Thanks in advance. Just need the total thickness

6. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    0.05”

ErocSD likes this.
  7. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Hinderer's manufacturing tolerances during the Gen 4 era was a hit or miss affair. I cycled through three Gen 4s before I found one that had perfect detent and lock bar tension. I still have it and the action just gets better with age. It's the favorite in my Hinderer collection.

I also have three Gen 6s and the lock bar tension on all three are excellent. Based on this experience and what I've been reading on the forums, Hinderer appears to have improved. I'm very pleased with mine.

Pupdawg, mongomondo and ErocSD like this.
  8. dburpasaurus

dburpasaurus Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 31, 2016
    There was some discussion on action / detent on the flipperless models so thought I would add this small action vid to maybe help people that were on the fence. I've owned a half dozen flipper hinderers and they are great, the detent on the gen 6 / tri way XM's is well tuned and deployment is reliable. That being said my latest flipperless model is my favorite hinderer action of any I've owned. Added benefit of being a little easier to pocket as well. Detent overall does seem tuned a tad lighter than a flipper model (comparing with my tri-way eklipse right now) but stud deployment is pretty snappy and flicking the fuller tab is easy and reliable.

https://imgur.com/a/aZVFWp2

sharp_edge, ErocSD and JAB like this.
  9. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Thanks for the info on the non flipper. Really interested in those now.

10. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    1F89626E-F60C-47BA-A806-2A89BE286DB2.jpeg Slicer goodness

11. Twinsdad

Twinsdad Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Baby backs and skinny slicer 23B1644E-56AB-4479-B82F-8372DD0C73C4.jpeg

12. Pupdawg

Pupdawg

Mar 22, 2020
    Yeah my flipperless fullered spear is like that also. Perfect detent easy to deploy with thumbstud, spidey, or fuller flick. Put mine on Teflon and while it’s not as drop shut as it is on bearings I really love the feel. Blade still flys open just a little softer but so smooth.

https://imgur.com/a/acsK8cM

13. alliuse

alliuse Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I just picked up a nonflipper fullered spearpoint as well. The deployment is great and it is drop shutty. However, swapping to the Teflon washers sounds like a good idea. Without the flipper tab I have been bitten several times when closing the knife :(

14. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    2020 tabs have been up since yesterday. Stonewashed are already gone. Get them while you can.

15. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Very nice! :thumbsup: I could no longer find any stonewashed fuller blade with bronze anodized lockside on DLT website anymore. Or maybe this is not a DLT exclusive?

What is "2020 tabs?"

BTW, does anyone know if RHK will likely release some new skinny XM-18 3.5" variant very soon? I plan to buy a RHK folder within two weeks or so.

16. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I am eating a baconator
    98CA9276-146B-402F-975C-5C6B1DF89BDC.jpeg

17. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    sharp_edge likes this.
  18. dburpasaurus

dburpasaurus Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 31, 2016
    It was a DLT exclusive but maybe they are gone now.

sharp_edge likes this.
  19. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
  20. Pupdawg

Pupdawg

Mar 22, 2020
    Oh yeah I’ve been bitten. Even on Teflon if your pivot screw is adjusted so the blade falls you’ll get bit if you’re not paying attention. Mainly when closing it with the knife vertical and you disengage the lock bar too far back from the blade tang=bit. Lol

alliuse likes this.