Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sunnyd, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice work! :cool: :thumbsup:

2. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    @Reaper AL sent me this self-designed Nicholas Nichols knife a couple of months ago, and I've been enjoying using it so much in the kitchen, I might take it along on my next camping trip :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It didn't turn out too bad.
    I couldn't find my epoxy, so I just peened the brass pins to secure the walnut scales.
    [​IMG]

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Speaking of Green Rivers here's my rendition of one of their very large butcher knives. I call it The Competition Carver. I had two orders for one of these and both guys were competitive BBQers which is how I came up with the name. Shipped those two out and since I was making two thought I might as well make three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its 18 inches in overall length with a 12 inch blade. Steel is AEB-L stainless at 63RC, with a brass bolster, a cocobolo spacer and elk scales. I've received rave reviews back from the other two guys. For one it has become his most used kitchen knife not just a carver. He says he can slice tomatoes so thin with it that you can see through the slices. My wife, Nichole, test drove this one for a while and she loved it too and wants one in a matching box elder to match her santuko:

[​IMG]

One of the things she really liked about this knife was being able to use it as a spatula too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heck of a pizza cutter too. I cleaned it up after we used it for a while and it'll go to our ranch cook, Brother Bill.

5. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    @Horsewright: Dave, thanks for the “in hand” pics to really show how capable the carver is. Killer knives :thumbsup:

6. Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown

May 22, 2011

You folks really like your steaks rare.

cbach8tw and CVamberbonehead like this.
  7. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's a big one Dave :) Here's an old Joseph Elliott I use in my kitchen :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet and thanks!

Ya bet just burn em a little and call em good!

[​IMG]

Did have a friend of many years that passed away a couple of years ago. We'd go to some restaurant and he'd order his steak "blue". The waitress/waiter would almost always ask what that was and I 'd tell em show it a match and call it good. He'd get his steak and I'd tell him; "Hawkeye, I've seen cows hurt worse than that get better." Those two ribeyes got a good searing, our own grassfed beef btw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah buddy, I've made one machete that was bigger. These three are the biggest knives outside of that machete I've ever made! Thats a cool one. Some similarity in design for sure.

9. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I have a friend who was always saying stuff like that. "Just wave it over the grill." So when I actually, literally, showed it a match and waved it over the grill and put the raw steak on his plate he had to say, "Okay, maybe cook it a little, like sear the sides for a couple seconds." :p

Anyway...y'all have some nice fancy kitchen knives! :):thumbsup: Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! Funny story Dave (and great pics) :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, this one is even bigger, use it in the garden rather than the kitchen, blade's a foot or so long! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Nice bunch of knives Rachel :) :thumbsup:

11. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    :D Thanks, Jack!

Jack Black likes this.
  12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The complete set of Camillus Sword Brand Deluxe Indian Stag fixed blades from the 1970s-'80s, #1011 through #1014.
    The big #1014 "Grand Canyon" is over 12 inches long, and the little #1011 "Blue Ridge" is a slender 8 inches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Fantastic set of hunting knives there. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

black mamba likes this.
  14. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Church knives for Easter!
    [​IMG]
    The cleaner one is 12", the grubby one 11.25".
    No, I guess I won't really take these into the office and offer to use them.

15. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    I think this fits here. Just call it a bowie with a hanging hole :D
    [​IMG]

16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Old Hickory 14”, 10”, 7”

0FEB9E89-D0C9-4A05-BC57-1C563E7B0BE0.jpeg

17. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Great bullnose butchers. Are those dogs going to fetch some meat for you?

Henry Beige likes this.
  18. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    The size of the Schrade 165 really puts those lamb splitters into perspective!

scrteened porch likes this.
  19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    The table is set for rabbit stew. If they don’t come through, it’ll be beans and wieners.

scrteened porch and Jack Black like this.
  20. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    How embarrassing. That is what I just had. Gaaah! It's snowing. Again.