Photos Let's See Your Open Carry Pics

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ribbonz, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Ribbonz

Ribbonz Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 28, 2020
    You need a concealed carry permit to carry a knife with a blade 3" or longer in my county, but you can open carry all you want. I've always just carried small legal knives, but now I'm considering open carry for the first time and would like to get some ideas. So let's see your open carry pics.

Eversion likes this.
  2. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I don't open carry even though it's legal where I live. I don't see any sense in letting a criminal know who to shoot first...

3. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    I agree with Robert and it is also legal where I live. Open carry of firearms just draws negative attention from people and law enforcement or could be more dangerous to you in a violent encounter. Knives are similar but to a lesser degree. If you live in the boonies, like me, nobody bats an eye if you have a large blade visible. Even still I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    But we all know every perp runs once you whip out your Crocodile knife and say, “That’s a knoife.”

Eversion and Owen K. like this.
  5. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Not if they have guns.

DangerZone98 and cbach8tw like this.
  6. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Unless you really need a large knife, it really isn't worth lugging around.

7. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should hold ya for a bit!

91bravo, jbmonkey, rover and 13 others like this.
  8. Stickgunner

Stickgunner

Nov 2, 2013
    It all depends on what I'm doing, but its easy enough for me to grab a belt and go outside. That puts blade, pistol and whatever else is needed exactly where I want things. I don't typically go into town this way, but have on occasion. If I'm out in the woods or mountains, its just about guaranteed I'm wearing something similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Terry M. and jfk1110 like this.
  9. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
  10. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I sometimes carry a small belt knife but I do it discretely. I wear it high on a Tek-Lok and usually in concert with a flannel, jacket, or other cover garment. We've already got some good advice on why but here is mine:

1. In a dangerous situation in which people might have to defend themselves, why tip your hand to the bad guys?

2. There are lots of people who have little to no experience with guns, knives, or even basic utility tools. Many of these people have had their worldview shaped solely by media. That includes negative depictions of guns and knives, both in fiction and on the news. It also includes propaganda that incites fear of such tools and disdain or hostility towards the right to carry them and those who do. While I'd love to see those folks properly educated on the subject, there is no value in making them uncomfortable at the supermarket. In fact, fear and ignorance can be a dangerous combination. Since safety is the goal of carrying an emergency defensive tool, it makes sense to keep it concealed.

Nystagmus, Boombats, Alsharif and 4 others like this.
  11. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I’m discreet, I never carry anything with over 7 inch blade.There are places it’s ok, and places it’s not.

A Buck 110 is the smallest knife I’ll carry, usually on my belt for all the honest world to see.

Seriously IMHO the OP should do whatever it takes to get the concealed carry permit, and carry a gun for protection. CARRY IT CONCEALED. Always carry never tell.

12. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006

This ^ couldn’t have said it better

Alsharif and Chronovore like this.
  13. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    It was covered why a ccw permit is not an option for the OP in another thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/disabled-veteran-no-guns-allowed-ccw-for-knife.1748485/

eveled likes this.
  14. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I don't have any pics of my own, and Horsewright has already posted anything that I'd be able to show, but I will tell you that I carry a Dozier Personal Utility or a Bradford G3 pretty often. Most of the time here in GA I'm in cargo pants and a t-shirt. I don't tuck my shirts in until Sunday, so whatever's around my waist is covered by the shirt. The Dozier and the Bradford are very discreet under a t-shirt.

Both of those are small FBs with horizontal carry sheaths. I've found the 10:00 carry position to be the most useful for me. I can reach the knife with either hand and it's out of the way until I want it. I've also found that these blades (3"-Dozier, 3.5"-Bradford) do everything that I need a daily carry knife to do, so I don't need to try to fit anything larger on my belt. I added an Armatus kydex sheath for the Bradford so it would sit a little closer to my waist, like the Dozier does. I'm happy with both of them for a small FB carry.

If you want to carry a larger FB, there's quite a few sheath makers who work in leather or kydex that can set you up with a horizontal or angled cross-draw sheath for almost any knife you want. I prefer either of those to vertical carry because it's easier for me to draw and replace my knife.

15. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg This one has a 9" blade.

jfk1110 likes this.
  16. Stickgunner

Stickgunner

Nov 2, 2013
    You leave part of it hanging loose out the front of your jacket? That must be one super stout zipper!!

17. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    It’s a Titanium knife. The zipper supports less than half the weight.

18. Stickgunner

Stickgunner

Nov 2, 2013
    I'm not sure in how many places that would qualify as "open carry". With no actual means to see or identify that it is a knife, I'll base my thoughts of it not being open carry on a similar statue in the city I work as a cop. Granted, I don't personally care unless the carrier was some POS who was engaged in otherwise illegal activities (robbery, ag assault etc).

Only the OP is aware of where he lives, and so he is the only one in this thread aware of his actual laws. However, most LEO, using the reasonable officer standard, would not see it as "open carry". I would strongly encourage the OP to see what the law is for his jurisdiction before deciding that concealing a weapon is openly carrying it.

Just something else to think about.

For the guys posting that the OP should get a firearm, I'm missing where that was an option for this thread. All I see is him looking for "open carry pics". He may or may not be looking at a knife as a weapon, but it is a fact that that vast majority of us use as knife as a tool on a much more regular basis than we do as a weapon.

19. Stickgunner

Stickgunner

Nov 2, 2013
    Here is a pic of me using a different belt setup with open carry blade (and obviously additional weapons). The reason that blade is towards the inside , as opposed to the outside (meaning behind) of the holster is that I don't have a need to look for my blade to remove it from its sheath, or to resheath it. One handed use is often needed when I'm cutting my way free from things, or am already holding something that needs to be cut. Please excuse the low quality image, its a junky cell phone low light pic.

[​IMG]

jfk1110 and Terry M. like this.
  20. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I tend to agree with you, and almost never carry a knife or firearm openly, but I'm not sure there is any real data on whether open carry encourages or dissuades conflict. I would generally think the latter. But like the "two is one" mantra, paracord bracelets and racking your gun with the rear sight when your hand is wounded, whether open carry causes or prevents conflict is mostly in the realm of hypothesis and mythology. In other words, we would be hard-pressed to find any examples of open carry promoting conflict rather than dissuading it. If I were looking to boost someone's wallet, I would not pick as my victim the guy with the 12" Bowie knife or S&W 686 on his belt. But yeah, I don't do it because I prefer to blend in and be invisible.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Grateful, rover and GB940Rookie like this.