Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Gh0zt36, Aug 29, 2020.

1. studio

studio

Jan 14, 2007
    Opinion: Superior firepower and aggresive posture allows a group to control the tempo of the engagement. Fancy way of saying more rounds downrange equals more hits on target.

2. Houlahound

Houlahound Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2017

With respect, that hasn't addressed my query, I probs didn't explain it well. Never mind.

You would be filling the target full of holes, an explosive projectile would make the target disintegrate with less overheads and more capacity....at least how I see it from vast experience and training competence watching Hollywood war movies.

3. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Killing something is only part of the goal. Another important factor is to control the engagement. If I am firing a one minute stream of controlled bursts, you can rest assured that everyone close to the point of impact is taking cover. Which gives your side a better opportunity to advance.

n2s

4. Houlahound

Houlahound Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I am talking about those big BRRRRRRT guns like on an A-10. Never seen one used to make the target duck behind a tree, it's more like annihilation everything time.

Again I am only speaking from arm chair experience watching Hollywood movies and YouTube clips.

5. deovolens

deovolens

Dec 25, 2004
    Our unit was a (Kassel)few miles from the iron curtain where a few millions of Warsaw Pact were stationed. We had the Vietnam war then and several terrorist groups would like to kill "western allies"
    You had the Bader Meinhoff group , the RAF =Rote Armee fraction, the CCC =Cellules communistes combatants.
    At every moment all the tanks, jeeps, trucks were ready to start. Life ammo was there. Then we had alerts you never knew if it was for "real".
    We were lucky, the US soldiers in Nam had a much harder life.

6. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    It's the prohibition effect. The people are told they can't have something, and that automatically increases the desirability of such as a reflective response.

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    The original post was in October 2020 with nothing posted by OP since then. Where did he spend his $1000?

Survival is a function of tools/skills/physical and mental health.
    Suggestion re skills.
    1. the basic ergonomic movements in knife fighting/sword fighting/kendo/escrima are the same.
    2. if you desire the basic skills, the easiest instruction to find is basic escrima. Within a couple months, you can have the basic movments down and then it is up to you to imagine scenarios and your reactions to them.

Suggestion re other skills
    1. you should consider seeking instruction in situational awareness. I mean beyond taking an animal tracking class from Tom Brown.
    2. there are classes that you have to seek out in individual and group mantracking, the use of optics and seeing in rays instead of scanning.
    3. when the young American plains Indians first went on raids, they did not participate. They did not fight. They observed. They were instructed. you should consider finding people who will teach the basics of situational awareness and then go on from there to teach yourself.. forget the hoary mantra of "don't take a knife to a gunfight". learn how it might be necessary to do so and how to do it.

Crag the Brewer likes this.
  8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    He didn't make it. Press R for respect.

9. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    Someone is always posting the wisdom about not bringing a knife to a gunfight or putting a lot of rounds down range is best.
    Ok. Example 1 - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nypd-84-shots-brooklyn_n_55ec4b31e4b093be51bbb978. 83 of 84 shots missed by trained police officers.
    Example 2. Rural Nevada. Perp hides behind mother with shotgun at front door and fires 4 rounds at male deputy and is about to execute him with shot #5. Female partner puts 12 of 13 rounds into the perp.
    Giving a person a gun or a knife does not impart skills. Today, I gave the following knives to three sets of family relatives: Moras/Shrades/Smith and Wesson/Saks/Kershaws. Not one of them will ever pay for training or even attend a free class. When shtf, if they place some in the family car now, they will have a usable tool . That is all. Or, if I happen to be there, I will a tool I know how to use.

10. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    Alright. So back towards a more serious sort of discussion related to this topic.

If a person found themselves in this sort of situation, where fleeing from danger wasn't an option and they had to shelter in place, what course of action does the average person take? Those who have blacksmithing skills, and access to good quality steel that can be heated and hardened aren't the average, everyday person. What about those of us who don't have such at their disposal? What does a person do when all they have access to is mild steel plates and crappy pine wood to work with?

As we've seen in the last year, once supply chains break down, getting the stuff you need for best results is no longer a viable suggestion.

11. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

War hammer, war club, and pine pitch flamethrower and pine pitch fire grenades.

WValtakis likes this.
  12. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    If I knew how to do a private conversation, I would tell you.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    An analysis was done of the mode of death in the unfortunate Burundi situation. I am not going to post the statistics. The overwhelming number were from machete strikes trailed by hoes. Few gunshots. Very few by grenades or hanging.