Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    @rcs86 beat me to it, but I owe you guys a picture showing what I think of the GEC secondary market prices and safe queens (that's a bit tongue in cheek as I have a few safe queens myself, lol)!

That's a BEAUTIFUL Waynorth Sepia TC Barlow in a delicious, organic Honeycrisp apple (only the best for a Waynorth). :D
    [​IMG]

The Smooth Autumn Gold Bone TC Barlow also came in the other day (Osage should be here tomorrow!). Pretty dang sweet knife!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I must be getting lucky because the fit and finish on mine is about as perfect as can be... Same with the Sepia Waynorth barlow that came before it. No gaps, great centering, good transitions to the bolsters... Just great. The edge could be better I suppose, but I like to put my own edge on knives and honestly Hogue is one of the only companies that puts an edge on their knives that I am good with.

Lockup is about as flush as can be when open. I'm holding at a bit of an angle, but you can't even get a fingernail to catch on the backspring. :)
    [​IMG]

And when closed
    [​IMG]

A bit proud in the half-stop position, but come on...
    [​IMG]

Also had a #47 Micarta Viper come in the other day after a lot of hunting. Thanks @AnW! I'm loving it as much as I knew I would. I'm such a sucker for a wharncliffe and a swayback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a bonus shot of the #74 Ironwood Mustang. I just ordered some Micro-Mesh sanding pads, so it will likely be looking a bit different soon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    It was at coppertail brewing co. You should try their free dive ipa if you get a chance. Pretty good! Cigar City is my favorite of the bunch though.

Quiet likes this.
  3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Excellent breweries for sure. I was an El Catador member for the first 10 "generations" of it. I do like them.

Also, uhhhh...knife content to keep this party on topic: I'm carrying my Maher & Grosh #29 today! No pics as yet, still early here! :D

Jiki and mcc850 like this.
  4. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Bad idea :thumbsdown:

One person sends them an email and they read it. Two people send emails about the same thing and it might even get mentioned in a discussion. Five people send the same request and they know someone is prompting them and it just chaps them off that they are getting played. ;)

5. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I am starting to feel GEC is mocking those of us that are facing follicle challenges in life with these combs. Their lack of sensitivity is astonishing, do they think bushy haired 20 year olds are buying these things?

The fact is that GEC should go after the big money - quit making knives and combs and just make a video game about collecting GEC knives - it would be a much more violent take on Grand Theft Auto 5.

6. rcs86

rcs86 Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter Platinum Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Here's my mail call from last night! I am loving the Cocobolo I received. Now to decide which one is for me and which one for my son....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spaten, JOELSM, sunknife and 21 others like this.
  7. H. Chinaski

H. Chinaski Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Stunning cocobolo - especially the one on the left. Congrats!

My Cocobolo should be arriving today!

rcs86 likes this.
  8. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I agree, seems more hipsterish. To me it’s more the name, the etch and, the labeling that make it more hipster. I still like it, though. I also like the beer and sausage and carry that one regularly; but the beer and sausage has a bit more utility to it. I probably won’t try to get this one, but only because it’s not really in the budget after getting a TC Barlow a couple weeks ago.

9. Agree to disagree?

If it's a good idea it will stand worthy of it's own merit...

Regardless of the amount of emails.

Still, your opinion holds weight and you've got my respect.

I'll not mention it past this point; but I will send reminders every month or two!

:D

10. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I'm carrying this new to me (bought on the exchange at cost plus shipping, not everyone has lost their mind, #starvetheflippers) 29 today also. The hidden gem of 2019 IMO. I am revisiting the 29 threat, going back always makes me chuckle about the things everyone worries about before they even get the knife. "It's going to be a brick", "3 springs are silly it should be a split back", yada yada yada..
    Then you get it in hand, and it is just a great little knife, punching way above it's size.

[​IMG]

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I want a Beard Scout... it's just cool looking. :cool::thumbsup:
    I doubt I'll have a chance at one, at least not at a price I'd be willing to pay for it.

Quiet, tmd_87, mrknife and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I hear hand written letters work too...;):D
    [​IMG]

13. Yeah...

Rub it in.

;)

Guess I'd better up my membership and start a ISO thread...

Geez!

tmd_87 likes this.
  14. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Oh if only that logical thinking were appreciated in 2021.... :D

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  15. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    They really do! Beautiful knife. I would love to track down one of the coffeehouse acrylic SFOs. I have missed every one I've come across, but hey, maybe one day!

r8shell likes this.
  16. So you're saying you don't appreciate customer input???

Oh, the horror!

Joking, of course.

I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with Joe Public anymore...

Just a few unruly mechanics and most of them are new enough to not realize I'm all bark and little bite.

Quiet and knifeswapper like this.
  17. Hope it's ok to quote from other threads here...

Super appropriate; Sal's response to flipping (discussion was about the PM2 black tanto):

Thread relevant content:

[​IMG]

Spaten, Pt-Luso, KnifeandEasy and 5 others like this.
  18. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    Thought i'd love it. Never had a punch on a knife, because i never thought i needed one, but heard they are useful. But then when i got one in hand... it did not resonate with me. Very heavy. Awkward size. And it turns out I really do have no use for a punch. Single blade version would interest me. Not sure it's possible to mod.

JohnDF and Jiki like this.
  19. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I asked Bill to pay me a consulting fee for my great ideas. I'm still waiting for a reply.

He makes good knives, but is a master at negotiation.

KnifeandEasy, Will Power and mrknife like this.
  20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    My #29 is a favorite user, for sure.
    [​IMG]
    To each his own. I like using the punch for scraping and poking holes in stuff. That saves the edge on the main blade for slicing. :cool::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]