Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes. I don't let it get to me any more. Usually just shake my head, and move along. I was just explaining WHY I don't look for many GEC's any more. I'm on a stand by list for one of the bloodwood 38's, but if it doesn't happen, I just don't care. I have more knives than I will ever use as it is. Missing one more pretty toy is no big deal to me.

edit: speaking of too many knives.... I touched up the edge on my 2019 forum knife yesterday, and I think that may be the sharpest knife I own, with the possible exception of my two Otter Messers.... but MAN, that thing is a brawny razor blade...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    CelloDan, t.willy, bigfish64 and 3 others like this.
  2. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Loving this new 85 crown lifter- thanks GEC and Mike (CK)!

[​IMG]

3. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I hadnt thought of the similarities of gec and ammo. Suppliers of both become almost instantly out of stock as soon as they get a whiff. What you can find, is marked up so high to price any rational person out of the ability to buy. Only the rich can afford inflated prices of gec and ammo, yet they are both normally priced for the average joe.

Tadeusz123, Murphjd25 and 555 like this.
  4. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thank you, John!

JohnDF likes this.
  5. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I like the almost orange color of these scales [​IMG]

TFBraden, JOELSM, Spaten and 23 others like this.
  6. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    My focus shifted back to modern folders a few years ago, and looking at GEC "from the outside" it feels surreal to think back to the time -- not that long ago, really! -- when it was possible to just...browse through GEC knives in stock at dealers. :eek:

I've held onto my sole remaining GEC, my beloved stainless Viper, through many rounds of thinning out my collection. I can't even imagine trying to track this knife down these days.

[​IMG]

TFBraden, Spaten, Fox79 and 24 others like this.
  7. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    GEC's "Whats Happening" has been stuck in time for a while. Is there one more SFO going on again?

tmd_87 likes this.
  8. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Someone :rolleyes: had been mentioning a CK 85 SFO. But that is purely speculation and unfounded jibber jabber that you see on the internet.:eek::oops:

9. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I gave up telling my wife “but this is GEC’s LAST SFO” a while ago. Not that I will probably be able to get whatever is being made if that’s the case.

10. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Oh... yeah Wharn... you can't make that plea too early. Bargaining chips are also important.
    GEC knife collecting is political!!!

11. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IMG_3304.jpg
    Here we go!

TFBraden, Fox79, 555 and 21 others like this.
  12. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Where is @Jiki with the GEC insider info on what color the jig bone 38s will be?:D

Fox79, t.willy, Mass1632 and 2 others like this.
  13. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    We need to know!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Fox79, Pt-Luso, mcc850 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Come on now, there are GEC employees that are not allowed in the dye/jigging room.
    Now if I had to guess, (I will because it's the internet) a dark chestnut or antique brown.

Oh and I'm still predicting a 73 or 83 after the 38s. I will have to go back to the Ouija board after that.

15. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Ya done good there. That wood is fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Spydergirl88 likes this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    A #73 or #83 slip joint would probably get me off the fence... locking models would not.

17. rcs86

rcs86 Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter Platinum Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    OK, so I really appreciate that I am still alive after my wife saw this mail call today.... A huge shout out to @tbode1 (Terry), for selling me all of this group except for the Esky Zulu, which came from @marsturm (Paul). Once again, I just love that Blade Forums members help each other out. I'm excited for these to get some pocket time!

[​IMG]

bbfish, Spaten, Buckibbq and 22 others like this.
  18. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    I'm not sure there could possibly be a better mail call than this! If yiou remain married, then all I can say is Well Played Friend, Well Played!

19. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    The 2019 forum knife is the very best of them all IMHO. :D:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Quiet, sf fanatic and Old Engineer like this.
  20. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Nice work! There are a lot of nice knives there, but that ebony crown lifter is a grail knife for me.

rcs86 likes this.