Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    well the whittler configuration could work- thinner bottle opener, thinner awl, beefy spear (but really a wharnecliffe or clip would be interesting, too). Over all thinner package where it counts.

I think most of us are past that point :D

2. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I see the 2020 Rendezvous is cancelled. I wonder how GEC will distribute their Rendezvous knives - sell them, hold them, ?????????

EngrSorenson likes this.
  3. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Maybe they just will not produce them if the traditional get together is not happening?

,,,Mike in Canada

4. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Hopefully they'll just give them out to the customers based on distance from the factory. At 20 miles away, I think I'd be in the top 3. :p:D

5. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I wonder if I stand a chance at 4,630. :D

Rookie82 and EngrSorenson like this.
  6. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Id think they're already made.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  7. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I saw elsewhere that they were not. But you never really know.

8. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I’m agonizing over those Northfield #44’s from 2018. Ultimately I never pull the trigger because I’m not the biggest fan of some of the design choices, however inconsequential they are. I just love the look of Brass on brass on brass with rich browns and yellows for handle covers. Brass bolsters and cocobolo look so sharp.

Anyone know if there’s a rationale why we don’t see brass more often for bolsters and shields?

Dadpool likes this.
  9. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'd say get one while they're still available. The only problem for me was two blades. They are a dream knife. IMG_6240~2-1024x690.JPG

10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I can't believe nobody is trying to guess what the new "secret" pattern is going to be...

EngrSorenson likes this.
  11. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    I’m not a fan of the brass look but if you like it, why not try one?

EngrSorenson likes this.
  12. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I hope to Jesus that it’s anything with a caplifter

Matt Bernier and blademan 13 like this.
  13. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I had one (the jigged bone tidioute), and they are beautiful, but I didn't like two aspects: 1) they are heavier for their size, 2) the big squared butt wasn't comfortable in my hand (medium sized), making a bit of a hot spot where it sat in my palm.

EngrSorenson and joeradza like this.
  14. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    --- withdrawn

15. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Beautiful specimen. Part of the reason is the only remaining available choice (direct from dealer) is in bone, which is great, but it's not the same as what you have pictured there. That's gorgeous.

The other thing I don't particularly like is the location of the secondary nail nick with respect to the curve of the handle. There's not a lot of room left for kick-filing before the nick is buried behind that little "hump" of the gunstock shape.

After having a few knives that aged terribly with sharpening, I guess I'm just hyper sensitive to that kind of thing in a knife I'd care about.

I guess what I really want is GEC to make more brass-bolstered, dark wood-covered knives so I can buy just the knife I'm looking for. A guy can dream!

It's a complete shot in the dark with GEC, but I'll play! I'm going to guess two things:
    1) it will be a small to medium sized pattern, because of the #12, #23, #29, #86, #92,#93 and #97's in recent history all being ~4" closed or larger. a safe bet is either 3" or 3 1/2".
    2) if it's some pattern we're all going to get excited about, I'd guess perhaps a doctor's knife or sow belly.

JohnDF likes this.
  16. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    That's an good point- I do tend to use my pinky finger to tuck the end of the knife into my palm. I'm sure I'd get over it if that was the only issue I had with it, but that's for bringing that up.

JTB_5 likes this.
  17. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    No problem. There have been many a time when I've been tempted to try again, but I always go back to thinking that I already have my Eureka jack, which I know will get pocketed more often.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  18. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Brass stinks and can leave your hands malodorous.

Tadeusz123, r8shell and GaiusJulius like this.
  19. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I don't get the infatuation with the caplifter [​IMG]

dantzk8, akaMatt, gaj999 and 2 others like this.
  20. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I don’t either. But it’s a sickness I cannot cure. :confused:

[​IMG]