Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    You save money or are able to redirect funds to your other hobbies? ;)

2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    watches! in fact im due to let some knives go for a new watch soon ;)

Fox79 and LastRodeo like this.
  3. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    When one door closes, another one opens..........

4. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    LOL I bought a new pickup. It's amazing how much stuff you need to add on and how much it costs. And ammo. It's getting scarce and more expensive when you find it. I've got a years supply, but I'm wondering if that's enough ...

5. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    I feel like they should implement some rule on the exchange where you can only claim 1 knife at a time. Then have to wait an hour or so to put in a claim on another.

KnifeandEasy, bbk357 and EngrSorenson like this.
  6. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be hard to police. I think it's fine the way it is. But it is frustrating when you arrive to a sales thread with no photos at all and they are all already sold in the first two minutes. Pretty crazy.

KnifeandEasy, Fox79, bbk357 and 3 others like this.
  7. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Yeah, that's my internal debate. Nothing illegal about it, and if it works, it works. I just hate it because I think GEC, or at the very least the distributors, deserve the money, if there's money to be made. At the very least perhaps we can agree flipping is a tacky.

I know there's a lot of honorable people, in this community and elsewhere, who even go so far as to donate knives to others. It's a cool phenomena that I love to see. On the other hand there's folks who would take advantage of a situation.

8. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    I have to agree. However, It's a difficult situation and hard to find a fair resolution for both the seller and the buyer.

9. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I agree its tacky. I can understand an inflated price if its a knife that hasn't been on production for a while and there aren't that many around. I've paid more than I should have for a couple (three? ok, maybe four) knives, but I can't understand people who would pay a grossly inflated price the next day after they've sold out o_O

Or in the case of GEC, I see inflated prices on knives that are still available from dealers. That I truly don't understand :confused:

tmd_87, mrknife, EngrSorenson and 2 others like this.
  10. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I am about to do that.... my red/black carver finally got back from rehab, and they are all in one place now.

and, I'm happy to say that GEC's warranty service was impeccable. Secondary blades are tight and wobble free... I dealt directly with Joan Mae Howard, and everything went just like clockwork. Great company... if anyone had any doubts, that is...:rolleyes:

11. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    The only GEC I've picked up off the secondary market was my 35 churchill not too long ago and just my luck there are rumors the next run will be a bunch of 35s! I have no regrets though, its one of my most carried knives and is an AAPK SFO. Plus the seller actually listed it at a reasonable price.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    hornetguy, JonMcD and EngrSorenson like this.
  12. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    that door's always open unfortunately. thought it was closing for a bit but an offer came up that I couldn't refuse

EngrSorenson likes this.
  13. staxnet

staxnet Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2011
    2006, I believe. I base that guess on fact that 2016 Rendezvous Knife was the 10th Anniversary knife, but I suppose that might be the GEC 10th Anniversary, rather than the Rendezvous 10th Anniversary. Now I am talking myself out of it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    mbkr likes this.
  14. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    buying GEC here on the exchange was frustrating last winter when I tried to quit traditionals. Now it’s even worse. There is always a few people that scoop up all the good within a min or two. I want to say “good for them” but after months of seeing the same person get them all, I am bitter.

15. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    lol
    That’s an amazing collection

EngrSorenson likes this.
  16. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I've wondered about that. I think they put it out at an inflated price, and then once the knives dry up at the distributors, they're the next game in town. In the mean time, if they get a bite, they get to sell the knife at the higher price.

My own experience was great, as well. They're a great company. I'm very happy to hear your PC has been rehabilitated!

This pleases me. greatly.

... are you doing business with Don Vito Corleone?

mbkr likes this.
  17. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Folks, please take the sales discussions to Feedback.

Will Power, Ramrodmb and mrknife like this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I agree... But they were collecting dust too.

I wish they'd at least require a membership to purchase on the Exchange.

btb01, Matt_WY, KnifeandEasy and 9 others like this.
  19. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Knife content

[​IMG]

TFBraden, staxnet, mbkr and 14 others like this.
  20. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    @Jiki that's beautiful. What is that... a 66 in acrylic? what'd they call the acrylic? I don't think of blue and brown going together, but it works.