1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

List the worse axes, hatchets or tomahawk on the market today. Ones to avoid

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Evian, Aug 21, 2011.

1. shecky

shecky

May 3, 2006
    Welcome, nickzdon. I apologize for the uncouth behavior exhibited toward Best Made Co. based on no particular offense committed against any Bladeforum member at all. This has been a sadly needed lesson in civility for us.

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Maybe the original poster of this thread could have the decency to either lock it or at minimum changing the wording of the thread name. ;-(

Robin

3. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    Right on, Robin!

Howard

4. Ravaillac

Ravaillac

Feb 14, 2005
    Well Best Made axes probably don't deserve the title of "worse axes on the market today", yet that shouldn't refrain people to point annoying facts.

5. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    There are Proper places for this type of thread and even that site wouldn't allow a thread like this one. the best made ax company does NOT deserve this type of treatment. The thread name is WAY out of line IMO. It should be closed.

Robin

6. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    We shouldn't allow threads about the best axes or hawks, either.

In fact, no feedback on axes or hawks should be given in this forum.

Very inappropriate.

7. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Wait, so no feedback should be given on axes, hatchets, or tomahawks, on an axes, hatchets and tomahawk forum?

I dont get that. What am I missing?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    My Friend. I'm not trying to be the board censor, just fair. This is a WIDE open thread that specifically asks for the Worst, not what people think of as the best. I am all for threads that are balanced and based on experience with the piece.
    There are two forums that allow negative critiques BUT they Must be based on fact. Even if this thread had a name change it would protect a company from being slammed for painting their handles pink or whatever. There have been many hits on this thread, who knows what damage could be done to best axe company.

Very best regards

Robin

9. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    I agree with this. Our great country gives us the right to voice our opinions and have freedom of speech. But there is a good way of doing it, and then always a better way. Wording sometimes is everything.

10. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    I believe that CP was saying that if we can't talk about what's "bad" we shouldn't talk about what's "good" either. It's logical, although a bit extreme.

11. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    I think that the responses from nickzdon have put Best Made Co. in a better light BECAUSE of this thread.

12. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    No problem, I'll drop it. However, Like I said, if the OP had asked for knowledgable input based on use and testing it would be different, he didn't. I never said or suggested that we don't give feedback on axes hawks or hatchets that don't meet the grade AFTER testing. The ONLY axe company to be mentioned was Best axe Made by Council. I agree that Best axe has helped their position but why should he have to defend himself because of this poorly worded thread?

I'm finished.

Best regards

Robin

13. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    Do not feed the trolls and they will go away. I agree Robin, when I first read the title I thought it was very inappropriate for the caliber of the fine folks here.......Randy

14. trailmaker

trailmaker

May 15, 2011
    In this whole thread I only see one inappropriate post, and it was made by yours truly. I regret the comment and apologize for it. I was wrong about Best Made and I think in the end it was good of Nick to chime in a civilized manner and tell us about the company.

I think that in general, threads of this nature can be helpful and informative as long as the tone remains civil.

15. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

16. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    Well, I'm just going to comment on why I said what I said.

It was to show a dichotomy of thought, and that's the nicest way I can say that.

The OP asked "What axe, hatchet or tomahawk did you buy that was a big waste of money and why? What happened? How much did that bad boy cost you?"

Sounds like he asked for knowledgeable input based on use and testing (that is what that "and why?" part is all about).

Yes, the comment about Best Made was a bit out of line, as it seems the poster did not buy one, nor use it, but based their opinion on price versus perceived value, and so didn't really answer the OP, because there was no performance review (and why?) to bring about that opinion. That's water under the bridge.

However, the loudest protests were not about that, but that the question of what to avoid should never be asked. Why not? It's better to let someone waste their money on a bad piece of gear than to call out the maker of that bad piece of gear?

If that is the case, that the worst crime that can be committed is to offend someone, then it's only fair that good reviews also be confined to the Reviews and GB&U forums. Other wise someone might get offended that you liked someone's piece, but didn';t put someone else up on that same pedestal.

If we are going to claim maturity, then we should be mature enough to talk about deficiencies as well as strengths and give good, accurate feedback when asked.

I just want everyone to look at what they are actually protesting, which is not the trollish responses, but rather tha very asking of the question. There is something very wrong in that.

17. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    CP, thanks for your comments and what you say is totally correct IMO. Honestly, my beef is with the title of the thread not the information that he was asking for. Folks who test axes, knives etc etc should I believe deliver the good news as well as the bad. I believe the people who do reviews on this forum have always done that. Again, my beef is with the wording of the title and the potential for harm to a person or company when even mentioned in a thread with this title. I felt bad for Nick having to come here for the first time to defend his company, although as others have said he did a great job of explaining what they do at Best axes and I believe improved their "position" with the folks here.
    Again, thanks for your comments

Very best regards

Robin

18. Evian

Evian

Jul 19, 2011
    Wow! A whole lot of nothing!

19. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    i'll give my 2 cents;
    anything that has 'MADE IN CHINA' on it...