Longterm Review: Fallkniven F1

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Beansandcarrots, May 2, 2019.

1. Pilot1

Pilot1

Sep 24, 2005
    A Fallkniven F1 in VG-10, and zytel sheath has been in my flight bag for at least 14 years. I've used on some camping trips as well. It is a neat little, compact knife that will do most everything a knife should do, from food prep, to wood splitting and everything in between.

Nice review.

2. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Was that squirrel related to Wolverine by any chance? Adamantium bones maybe?...

3. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Great review!

4. joe90

joe90

Aug 17, 2001
    Really like reading reviews like this one... especially how the knife now looks. Awesome!

5. vic2367

vic2367

Sep 15, 2006
    nice review,, regret selling mine ,, such a great blade

6. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    Read this review and now thinking of getting myself a Fallkniven F1, never had one before.

7. GlockMonster30

GlockMonster30

Nov 19, 2008
    Great review. I need one of these!

8. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The little thread that could...

Fallkniven does make nice knives and they can be had at reasonable price points with a little searching. That said, whenever they come up for sale on the exchange, people blow right past them. I think it's because Fallkniven doesn't make the latest greatest tacti-cool flipper zombie slayer. Whatever :rolleyes:. People who pass them by without giving them a second thought in pursuit of the next best thing are overlooking some great knives, and the F1 is certainly one of them. IMHO, you really can't go wrong with any Fallkniven knife. You just have to find the one you like best. And when you do, don't be surprised if a lot of potential "buys" on your radar go by the wayside in favor of your new Fallkniven. Yes, they are that good.

Pilot1 and Lee D like this.
  9. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Nice review. Thanks. Someone else in these pages recently opined similar misgivings about the handle and suggested replacing it. There were examples posted.

10. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    While I've always admired the Fallkniven blade and handle design, I've never understood why they use laminated steel. There are so many excellent steels. Why go laminated, especially with VG10? I don't think its about cost savings, Fallkniven knives aren't cheap. So where's the beef?

There are some awesome knives in 3V or Cru Wear or Elmax. So, why would I buy a laminated knife using VG10?

I've got several knives in 3V and the only steel I think could be much better is Cru Wear for fixed blades. JMHO

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  11. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
  12. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Great Review!
    A real world user report with the kind of mishappenings that occurs in real life.
    I'm also guilty of using a steelhammer on the end of a H1 and recognise the marks in the soft outer laminate.
    All my FK's have held up well even when they have been abused.
    My favorite F1 is the 3G with custom staghandle.
    IMGP5845 (1).JPG

IMAG0169.jpg
    Yes, I bang on that knife with the orange mallet in the pic.

Regards
    Mikael

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  13. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    @Mikael W
    Sweet knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who did that handle for you?

Mikael W likes this.
  14. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks!
    I'm a tool user so I do my rehandlings myself.
    For this one I managed to get the Sambar Stag from a supplier no longer in buisness.

f1-4.jpg

Regards
    Mikael

Lee D, d762nato and on_the_edge like this.
  15. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    VG10 is a good steel for rough use. Even better laminated. Some of their knives use other steels.

Fallkniven knives are actually made in Japan and for that reason they use premium Japanese steels.

16. sluggyslugworth

sluggyslugworth

Jan 28, 2010
    What a lovely review. I love my F1/A1!

Beansandcarrots likes this.
  17. zakjak221

zakjak221 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Great review...my f1 & A1 do a great job.