1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for 5-6 inch fixed all round camp/hiking knife, weight is a concern.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by elbowtko, Dec 1, 2012.

1. elbowtko

elbowtko

Sep 24, 2006
    I primarily looking for a knife with these specs.

5-6 inches actual cutting blade length (highly prefer 5.5 inches)
    Full Tang, (full stick tangs are ok, provided they are durable/thick)
    Plain Blade (stainless or carbon is ok provided there is toughness.)
    At least 3/16 stock
    Here is the difficult part: blade weight w/o sheath. 12oz or less. This takes out the BK-2.
    <100$

I will be using this knife as a do it all camp knife. I want enough length to get decent batoning, however light enough to not make the excuse of not carrying it on hikes.

Here are a few knives that I feel can be contenders:

BK-10 (12oz), whenever they start producing it again which I heard will be revealed around show shot 2013), I like it, but for the cutting length it posses, it weighs the most. 75$? perhaps.

Cold Steel SRK (8oz), lightest of the bunch, however made of AUS-8 and a non-radiused stick tang which could be a point of failure aka not as sturdy as the rest. 75$

Ontario SP 46 (10oz), Crappy sheath that is too long for its own good. Medium weight of the bunch. Haven't heard anything bad or good about this knife other than a few reviews. Also pretty cheap at around 50$. Don't know the quality of the tang.

Scrapyard 511. (7-8oz) Light, strong radius tang, high quality. However with a kydex sheath it is way out of my price range.
    currently at 90$ knife + 15$ S&H + 36$ sheath = 140$ total.

Are there any other blades out there that I should consider?

2. FTR-14c

FTR-14c

Jul 24, 2011
    EDIT: Sorry I'm way over budget. I was thinking back to when I bought them and it was the F1 at that price.

Have you looked at a Fallkniven S1?
    They are a few bucks more than your budget but are worth every bit.
    Nice and compact, light weight with great steel, you wont have to worry about corrosion.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. Lonewolf01

Lonewolf01

Oct 31, 2011
    You could check out the ESEE-6. It is right under 12oz and has a 5.5inch cutting edge. It is about $20 above your price range but I think it is worth looking into.

Another one is the Buck Punk, I haven't heard much about it but I know it is very light (Under 8oz) and I think the cutting edge is right around what you're looking for.

4. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    ESEE6 can be found frequently in the $95-110 range -- great knife.
    Kabar Navy Mk1 is also a very good knife and runs $50-65.

5. FTR-14c

FTR-14c

Jul 24, 2011
    If you like the SRK, you can get the SAN MAI III version for under $120.
    VG-1 laminated steel is pretty tough and holds a good edge.

6. jimh0220

jimh0220

Apr 15, 2008
    Knives of Alaska Bush Camp fits the bill with O1 steel, full tang, great sheath, light as a feather, and great edge retention.

7. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005
  8. Nafunu

Nafunu

Oct 12, 2011
    ESEE Laser Strike. http://www.eseeknives.com/laserstrike.htm

Don't like the name myself, but it's a great camp knife. I picked it up earlier this year and it's replaced my ESEE 6.

(1) 5-6" Cutting Edge - No, it's only 4 3/4" but wait, read on!
    (2) Full Tang: Yes.
    (3) Plain Blade - Yes, highly durable 1095.
    (4) 3/16 stock - Yes
    (5) 12oz or less - Yes, 9.5 ounces, even less if you remove the included "survival kit"
    (6) <100$ - Yes, but just barely, I picked this up for $96 at a local shop.

So yeah, the Laser Strike meets almost all of your requirements. Honestly though, the low weight really makes a difference. It comes with a very nice Kydex sheath.

Advantages compared to the ESEE 6:
    - Lighter (9.5 vs 11.5 ounces).
    - Personally, I find the Laser Strike to be more comfortable for extended use.
    - I find the choil on the Laser Strike is usable compared to the ESEE 6...
    - The Laser Strike has more of a pronounced drop point, it's almost more of a spear point. At first I didn't like it, but I have found the tip to be more useful and I find it makes the blade easier to sharpen compared to the ESEE 6.
    - I prefer the sheath for the Laser Strike; it has adjustable tension, but otherwise it's quite similar to the sheath for the ESEE 6.

Disadvantages compared to the ESEE 6:
    - Shorter cutting length.
    - Slightly thinner blade stock (I think, I'm just eye-balling it, could be wrong)
    - The Laser Strike is not quite a full-flat grind. But just barely, it's a relatively high grind.

Anyway, if the 5-6" cutting edge is a show stopper for you, take a look at the ESEE 6. Otherwise I think the Laser Strike is worth taking a look at.

9. Translash

Translash Doing evil things...

Jan 18, 2011
    I don't own one but you could look towards the boker vox rold

10. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    You can make 50-60 bucks working one day right?
    $140 is not that much money when you think about it.
    If the 511 and a kydex sheath are what floats your boat,
    just get it and don't look back.

Good gear is worth the bux.

11. maverick3981

maverick3981

Jun 26, 2009
    I would go with an ESEE4 instead of the Laser Strike, it grips much better and has a wider blade it seems.

12. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    My choices: BK&T BK-16, BK-7 or wait for the re-issue of the BK-10---yes, it is worth the wait. Ontario Spec-Plus, SP-2 Air Force Survival Knife- excellent little knife. I own them all & they are all excellent blades. :D

13. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    While a bit on the heavy side, I'd steer you in the direction of the Rodent 6. This is a VERY strong knife, perhaps the toughest six inch plus blade out there. If you are looking for a mid-sized knife that just about can't be busted up...this is it.

14. HardTripper

HardTripper

Dec 13, 2010
    There's also the Ontario rat 5, or blackbird sk5. I honestly think you should go 2 7/8' s to 4 inch, then get an 8 to 11 inch chopper. All my 5 to 7 inch knives are from my earlier purchases and feel kinda useless in my lineup, just my .02. The esee and Becker suggestions are.the.way to go.

15. HardTripper

HardTripper

Dec 13, 2010
    For price you might like condor, good bang for buck. Think about pairing a mini bushlore or sapien with a Hudson bay or varan.

16. Hadji Flip Me Over

Hadji Flip Me Over

Mar 1, 2010
    Benchmade CSKII sounds perfect for you, budget considered.

However, if you decide you want to spend a little bit more, I would strongly recommend the Scrapyard 511.

17. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey Lonewolf01, sorry to ask this here but i cannot seem to find the PM on the forum...
    Do you still have that Condor Bushlore? Is it the OLD THICK one? If so, would you like to part with it?
    If so, you can e-mail me at [email protected]
    Sorry for the off topic post.

Back on topic... Look at some of the Condor knives, I have the new light Bushlore and it is great(even though I wanted the old THICK one).
    There are mora style knives that would fit your specs, but I cannot look them up right now.

18. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Mora & Svord both fail to meet your stock-thickness requirement but can meet your other requirements WELL below you price.

Condor Rodan is just over the weight requirement, 12.8 oz.

But regarding the SYKCO 511... keep your eye on the bussekin Exchange for one or for a RatManDU (RMD) - current stuff pops up for less than factory price all the time, sheath included. You may need to be equipped to sharpen though...

19. Thrill

Thrill

Sep 9, 2010
    Swamp Rat Ratmandu...you won't regret spending a bit over your budget.

20. OldSarSwmr

OldSarSwmr

Jan 1, 2010
    Have you looked at the BK-15? It is pretty darn close to what your requirements are. 5.5 inch blade, 6.4 ounces, blade thickness is close, decent sheath, two sets of scales, and well under your price point.