1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for a <3” blade folder priced under $240... recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Biginboca, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 14, 2018
    I’m a huge fan of the Fox Suru. It’s 2.3” so a little small, but an awesome little knife. Tons of flavors.

2. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Many small Swiss Army Knives are available with handy tools in addition to the blade, all under 3" and $200.

3. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    Para 3 assuming he doesn't mind having a smaller handle

I really dont like knives with shorter blades than handles and to get something that will fit his hand, be legal, and be aesthetically pleasing can be difficult

Really I would prefer a Para 3 blade shoved in a PM2 handle if I was your buddy. But it would look funny. Hard to know without knowing his hand size tho. Does he have big old fat fingers? Is he a giant? Hand size matters a lot

A multi tool is a much easier thing to buy for a guy. Can get him a nice full size leatherman one handed tool or wave. Or something smaller like a leatherman juice or as above an SAK. No one can ever have enough nice multi tools

4. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Another vote for para 3.

5. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Second on Chaparral.

6. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    Lil Native...tiny but capable. Fun with the comp lock, and 117 dollars.
    2.5 inchish blade, 2 inch cutting edge.

7. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    If you get the Para 3, definitely get the Para 3 lightweight...but get a Yojimbo 2

8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Yojimbo II

[​IMG]

fonedork likes this.
  9. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    Reate Tashi Bharucha T2500

[​IMG]

10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Get the Delica currently available from one vendor with m390 steel. Google it.
    It s my first time to carry a Delica, and now I too appreciate what a nice knife it is.
    I guess it s as tactical as a sub 3 inch slicer can be.

11. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    In M390 it would make for an epic edc blade.
    I got a lil native since I hate the feel of FRN now and I wanted something
    that would not scare the snowflakes at work. On vacation today I wore my M390
    Blue para 2 and my very new ZT 0452CF. I like bigger blades!
    But at work the Lil Native comes off as cute. It holds an edge like mad
    and is a very good cutter. I love it!

12. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Any updates on what you’re getting/going to get?

13. Biginboca

Biginboca Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Yes, my buddy read through this thread and here’s his list in order...

1.Spyderco one eyed jack (personally I feel this is a poor choice for the money but he likes the styling)

2.Spyderco techno 2

3.Spyderco para 3

4.ZT 0022

As for myself, doing the research I found one knife that I might buy. Thinking about the upcoming Drop/Ochs Lynx which is just under 3” blade as well. So far I’ve been pleased with the quality/value of the (mass)Drop collaborations.

14. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I love my native 5's. If he's going to do a lot of cardboard cutting and has the proper sharpening stuff, or knows someone that does, I really love my S110V native LW. Spyderco usually does a really good job staying under the key knife blade limites like 3" and 3.5" when they have knives listed at a blade length. On spyderco's website, for example, the native 5 is 2.95", the delica is 2.875".

The BM mini-grip is nice as well, have him visit the custom shop and get some fancy stuff on it if he doesn't mind spending the coin.

The spyderco sage series are solid performers as well.

This is an old pic so I don't have most of these, but I do have a native 5 like the one pictured (sold and returned back to another one a year later).

top to bottom: esee zancudo, mini-grip, mini-grip with AWT scales, S110V native 5, sage 2
    [​IMG]

Closer shot of a few of those
    [​IMG]

The bottom one in the 2nd pic is a kizer begleiter, I believe they have a mini/3" version now. Super knife. I consider the full-size a poorman's benchmade 941. Amazing EDC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

example of the mini from BHQ
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Vanguard-Series-Mini--95482

15. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    hahaha i didn't see that coming

Force him to use the P3 the ergonomics on the lock are superior to frame/liner

When he can cut a package open and flick it back in his pocket in under 3 seconds he'll be so impressed by our sage wisdom

16. elde66

elde66

Jan 22, 2019
    Hogue X1

17. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    We Rectifier at 2.95" with blade stock at 0.1".

18. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Lots of good choices here...
    Personally I'm really enjoying my Berg Blades Iron Pup
    [​IMG]

19. Mountain5-0

Mountain5-0

Jun 10, 2019
    My suggestion is tell you friend to move if not I’d have him wait for the new microtech Exocet

20. cannelbrae

cannelbrae

May 5, 2019
    The Mini Begleiter is $55, has a 2.8 inch blade of 154cm steel. I haven't handled one but it sounds like a great budget option.