Looking for a folder to bring with me when I go fishing?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by John_94, May 9, 2020.

1. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    Hey guys! I finally got a deal on knife and ended up with the Spyderco Salt! Super happy with it. Considering dyeing the scales. A gradient from the yellow to maybe blu or green..not sure yet. But thanks to everyone who responded.

MolokaiRider and Eli Chaps like this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Excellent! It is a great knife!

A bit of advice if I may. Given your history, please don't try to take this one apart! :D

Here is my experience with dying spyderco frn in the salt line: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-does-rit-dyed-spyderco-frn-hold-up.1562974/

John_94 likes this.
  3. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
  4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    You might want to consider something with a lanyard hole, unless you want to make a donation to the water gods.:D

Lee D likes this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Thanks for the follow up and glad you found something you're happy with. :)

6. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    Been there done that, and it ruined an afternoon of fishing.

7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    For me as long as it isn't a $1000+ DSLR camera taking a dunk, I think I can deal with the occasional lost knife while fishing. But frankly, loosing a knife to the water gods doesn't happen very often (maybe once in 20 years).

@John_94 Enjoy your Spydie Salt. I suspect that was one of the very first suggestions in this thread but too lazy to check.

Lee D likes this.
  8. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I think he got one with a lanyard hole, no?

9. In my experience, the backsprings on the Salt series are not rustproof, so taking it apart wouldn't hurt. I dyed my Dragonfly Salt from yellow to charcoal grey, and it worked great. FRN is much easier to dye than G10.

10. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    No. He really shouldn't take anything apart. First of all, he has had major issues taking knives apart on several occasions. So yes, taking the knife apart could indeed hurt. Second, the Salt knives are designed to handle extended salt water exposure without cleaning. They can handle a little dunk in some dye.

11. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm late to the party but, there's no telling how many fresh water trout I cleaned with a benchmade mini afck 812hs, maybe over 1000.
    I clean them before I leave the river, remove head, guts, and skin, rinse blade in river. Cleaned a good bit of specks too.
    Never any rust, maybe because trout are oily fish?

12. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I've used a SAK Tinker or a Buck 110 for fishing for years. Just rinse them in water when done and then dish soap when I get home, no issues.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  13. If you can’t take a Dragonfly apart and put it back together without a problem, you probably shouldn’t be handling sharp knives.

jpm2 likes this.
  14. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Rough Rider Fishing Knife. Easy to find. Cheap. Perfect.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  15. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    Uhh I stripped a screw on a shaman dude, I’m not prone to mishaps and I regularly take apart all my knives to clean and maintain them. So I’d appreciate if you stopped insinuating that I’m incompetent with disassembling my knives.

Roy Batty likes this.
  16. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    Again I stripped a screw on a shaman and I regularly take apart my knives. Not sure why craytab is making this generalization

17. steelhead seeker

steelhead seeker

Aug 1, 2014
    Just use whatever. I have a mora fixed blade I keep on my waders at all time but if I'm not wearing my waders I just use whatever pocket knife I'm carrying that day. I dont trout fish very much but I've probably cut the gills of hundreds of steelhead and many salmon with my pm2 and got blood all over it. Just give it a rinse in the river when done and when I get home I run some warm soapy water through it and make sure its clean and let it dry. Never an issue. I've thought about buying a spyderco salt just for fishing but honestly any pocket knife will do fine.

18. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I count at least 5 threads where you have issues taking knives apart:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-manix-2-broken-ball-lock-cage.1586636/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-to-remove-a-stripped-screw.1557193/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/stuck-screw-on-spyderco-yojimbo-2.1544438/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/screw-spinning-but-wont-come-out.1522221/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cant-loosen-torx-screw-on-leatherman.1467364/

You started this new second account to get away from the mistakes you made with the your last old account. So, I stand by my advice to not take that knife apart :D It's okay, you shouldn't need to in order to dye the knife anyway. I've dyed a Salt dragon fly just fine without taking it apart, as I said in the thread link I posted above. Enjoy the knife and come back and tell us how you like it!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    palonej, MolokaiRider and Eli Chaps like this.
  19. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    You want my advice? Put him on ignore. He’s trying to push your buttons, don’t feed him.

20. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Is all of this relevant to the topic of discussion?

Last edited: May 31, 2020