1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for a francisca...

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by SoFMercenary, Apr 4, 2010.

1. SoFMercenary

SoFMercenary

Mar 21, 2009
    looking for a good francisca style hawk. ordered some from Jas Towsend and son and they ended up breaking after a few throws. ragweed forge has some 2 im looking at but what i was really looking for was what albion swords was selling a few years back but missed buying them. so does anyone know where to get a good francisca style hawk?

in the pic below is the one by albion. weighed about 3 lbs which is what im trying to go for...

[​IMG]

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Try Steve Liley at Coal Creek Forge, he's pretty busy but can make anything.
    A great guy to deal with.
    here's his email address

[email protected]

Best regards

Robin

3. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    look up windlass steelcrafts. they have a frankish axe thats pretty close to that same pattern. ive never used anything from windlass but they are supposed to be decent products.

4. Kenny H.

Kenny H.

May 24, 2009
    Hanwei makes one just like that.

5. Ed Ricketts

Ed Ricketts Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 1998
    I haven't tried his franciscas, but have ordered 3 other hatchet/hawks from Ragweed Forge & been very well impressed.

6. crossada

crossada

May 16, 2004
    gransfors bruks had one in their ancient collection but it is $$$

7. cegga

cegga

Aug 16, 2005
    Hey!
    When I made one for a man I did two so I have one that are little like that one.
    Cegga
    [​IMG]

8. SoFMercenary

SoFMercenary

Mar 21, 2009
    thats nice looking im just worried about weight... how much does it weigh?

9. cegga

cegga

Aug 16, 2005
    Hey!!
    This one are a small one ca 0,4 kg so if I read more careful I have see that you where after a bigger one sorry
    Cegga

10. berzerker

berzerker

Jan 27, 2002
    I have a pair of those from Albion. There was an old thread on the forums by someone who did throw theirs, which inspired me to buy mine.

I hafted one shortly after they arrived, and had to modify a Pulaski handle. I would not call it a 'hawk; it's a full-blown axe. After getting the head mounted I decided this one would not go airborn; throwing it would get old pretty quick.

I have the Jas Townsend pieces you mention and there is no comparison--they feel delicate. For throwing, you might want to consider the larger of the two offerings from Ragweed Forge--as has already been recommended. I have both his ship-builder's hatchet and viking belt axe--quality is excellent.