Looking for a new hobby, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by gunslinger387, Jan 15, 2020.

1. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Was going through my ammo cache lately and found some from a few years ago. A friend's dad had just bought the equipment and we took advantage of it. It was a lot of fun and satisfying getting a load dialed in for a particular rifle.

[​IMG]

2. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Ooooo let's see em!

bluemax_1, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  3. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Would have to be a really big garage. I just bought an Edgepro Apex sharpener with some high grit tape to start putting a mirror edge on my knives so I have something in the meantime but once they are all sharp I need to find something else.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Oh man! Please pardon the dust:oops: OCD in full swing...if it's a molded in detail it MUST be painted ;)

Jedi Starfighter (the exterior is MUCH too dusty to show)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Very cool!

6. Houlahound

Houlahound Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2017
    This thread proves knife nerds are still nerds.

7. frozenfire

frozenfire

Jun 27, 2013
    Reloading / bench-rest shooting are at the top of my list! Metal detecting, soap making, and hi-fi audio are also hobbies I'm addicted to. Whiskey is another favorite, if you can count that as a hobby ...;)

I also paint miniatures for my board games! Love doing the terrain effects at the base. This one need to be finished.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    making knifes is an awesome hobby, making sheaths two

9. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Making knives pretty can be fulfilling too;)

bluemax_1, woodysone, duramax and 3 others like this.
  10. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Personally, I've found that being able to sharpen my Knives by hand to be rewarding.

I find myself drawn to 3d printing as of late. Unfortunately the barrier to entry is pretty expensive.... At least for the cooler sls printer I want to get.

11. Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    Serious???? If you are not looking at mass production you can get excellent 3DP's crazy cheap.

I am totally bewildered how so much sophisticated leading edge technology can be cheaper than an average knife which in comparison is stone age technology.

12. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I'm looking at one of those sls powder printers.

I'm thinking of making action figures and monster trucks that have moving parts and such that wont need support material.

Cost of entry is ten grand

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  13. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Take up some lapidary, just buy a tumbler and polish with it or become more skilled with a cabochon machine. I'm just a rock tumbler, like to take rough and see where it leads. You can buy all the equipment on line, there are forums to help. I started with one 3 lb tumbler, now have 6 and two tile saws. Takes a while to get going, rocks can tumble for months, but when you start getting finished material you'll love it. Make simple jewelry or really get in to it, it can get costly. Perfect for a garage.

14. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    Wire wrapping is a great way to get started in jewelry, all you need is a couple pairs of pliers:thumbsup:

15. Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    As a hobby my dear mother started assembling jewelry from broken and used jewelry parts just so she could wear things she liked and couldn't find or afford in the shops. Other women, mostly complete stangers, started asking her where she bought it. Word spread like wildfire she has now basically come out of retirement to meet requests for her handmade custom jewelry without a single advertisement or business name. The only infrastructure is some pliers, and a good light with a magnifying glass. She only makes what she would wear herself.

Sometimes if you really enjoy a hobby and get some skills others want in on it and will pay.

16. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Well, depending on how much beer drinking is going on in that garage, you could learn another language while sharpening knives and fixing whatever needs fixing.
    No need to be particularly fluent but enough to order dinner or hold a conversation well enough to make others think your fluent, then pretend that you’ve known the language for years- you know, just for fun.
    For me, I’m shopping for a little lath to start making some little odds and ends. Maybe I’ll learn mandarin while I do it. Probably just end up learning to swear in 5 different languages though :)

17. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Great suggestions guys, some I hadn’t thought of which was the whole point of the question.
    Thanks

18. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Painting miniatures is a great hobby. It can be very therapeutic

Odog27 and 1AbominAble1 like this.
  19. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    whatever you do, get yourself an optivisor

20. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    Excellent advice, no way I could do any of this stuff without magnification;)

20190430_182404.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020