1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for input on a Hatchet to buy

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Kingsize, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Kingsize

Kingsize

Mar 29, 2013
    Hello, newb here. I am looking for recommended hatchet brands, or styles, that would suit my outdoor needs in two ways.

First, I would like a hatchet close to 20"-22" in total length if possible. I would also like a little heft on the head to do some light wood splitting with, kindling and such.

Second, I would like to have a canvas micarta grip handle that is 3/4 the way up the hatchet handle, so that it can be used for small chopping, and more precise control.

What say you? Any one style/brand you would recommend? Customs are fine as well.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Why do you want a hatchet 20"-22" in length? That's a length that many of us find problematic - too long for one-handed use and too short for two-handed use. You might need two tools, a hatchet and an axe. Or maybe you could make do with one midsize axe, something like a boy's axe or Hudson's Bay style axe.

The boy's axe will stand up to more splitting and chopping work because it has a deeper eye which makes for a stronger connection between the axe head and the haft. But if the bulk of your work is lighter work then the HB might be better because the shorter eye allows you to choke up on it a little higher for better control.

3. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    So, you want a full tang hatchet with micarta up to 3/4 of the handle? Or are you saying you want two different tools?

4. Kingsize

Kingsize

Mar 29, 2013
    I guess 20' may be an issue for some, but I find it fits me great for one handed use. Usually the 20 inchers are too light for me, hence the reason for looking for one with a little head heft. I'm not a small guy by any means, if that helps explain it any easier. I just find that size very comfortable for me to use.

The reason for the grip 3/4 the way up the handle is, it would allow me to choke up a bit, and still use the same tool for some smaller tasks as well.

Thanks!

5. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    So you want a full tang hatchet with a 20" long handle, that has micarta scales that go up 15" of that handle? But you also want a heafty head, as a traditional hatchet, with an eye? Why not get a tradtional smaller axe, like a Hudson Bay or a Boy's axe?

There's lots of full tang hawks and some hatchets, and there's the Estwing's. Sounds like you want an Estwing with a longer handle, but made of micarta? Is that even close?

Have you looked at RMJ Tactical, Omnivore Blade Works, Winkler Knives 2(Camp Axe), or do you have any similar existing model that is close to what you want? Give us more specifics and we can help you with more specifics.

6. Kingsize

Kingsize

Mar 29, 2013
    Something similar to a Strider Hatchet XL, with a little more overall length, slightly more head weight, and the canvas handle as you discribed.

Sorry if my descriptions a vague. I am fairly uneducated as far as styles and brands go with axes, hatches, etc.

I do however know that I can NOT stand the Estwings at all. The design just feels terrible in my grip.