Recommendation? Looking for no frills hunting knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by PoorInCollege, Nov 17, 2019.

1. PoorInCollege

PoorInCollege

Nov 17, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Hey all, new guy here, but I recently picked up a Tram machete, I really love it not only for it's usability but in terms of aesthetics, I'm really looking for hunting and other fixed blade knives in a similar vein to it; no finish on the steel, wood handle, good steel, not extremely expensive .Something that can be customized and/or beaten on if need be. Are there any suggestions for this category? I'm really not into the "make everything black" trend that I see in most common knives today.
    Any feedback much appreciated.

2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    What would be your budget?

Would you want a custom with a splash of color or a good production knife?

n2s

3. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    No doubt you'll get many suggestions and recommendations..!

One of the nicest looking and best vfm knives out there imho is the Buck Vanguard - the steel is good enough, and easy enough to sharpen in the field...

[​IMG]

4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Chui gave you one good knife to look at. Go to Copper & Clad or SK Blades (both on-line Blade Forums dealers) - they stock special run Buck Knives and offer many of the 100 series hunting knives in different steels with wood handles - pick the blade style and handle size you prefer. OH

Will Power, knowtracks and Chui like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Check out the Ontario old hickory hunter
    It's definitely the kind of no frills knife you're after.
    There's also the Green River fish knife.

6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    If you want stainless steel, then Rough Rider has a pile of options for well under $40. Very good quality imports.

7. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    This is good advice if the Tramotina machetes are the look your going for, Old Hickory knives that I've had always took a screaming sharp edge. Also you can find them in thrift stores and such for VERY cheap.

Henry Beige, Just Tom. and willc like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    They now offer a " hunting knife " which is a 5" bladed butcher with a leather sheath.
    Currently it's on sale at knife center for $20.

You're lucky if you can find them at thrift stores, it seems that in my area they likely discard all carbon steel because have absolutely never seen a carbon steel kitchen knife at a thrift store even once in the past decade.
    That's probably one of the reasons I so highly regard the stuff, I can only get if I order it.

9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would second the Buck Vanguard if you want a solid hunting knife without spending a fortune ...

I have lots of hunting knives .... some have better steels that hold an edge longer or are tougher ... some customs just because I enjoy them ... but the Vanguard is a great design ... simple and it just works and will serve you well for many years.

10. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Mora Number 1 is a great classic general purpose hunting/in the boonies knife.
    It's been in production virtually unchanged for over 100 years, so you know the design works.
    It is availabe with your choice of Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel, or Laminated blade for $12 to $25 or so depending on blade steel.

If you want a slightly longer blade, the Mora Number 2 would be my suggestion.
    It has the same three blade steel options as the number 1. Usually costs about the same as the Number 1.

If you want a guard, consider the Mora 611.
    It can be had with a carbon steel or stainless steel blade.

A little bit fancier, but considerably more expensive (still under $60 to $80 or so) is the Buck 103 Skinner.
    Standard blade steel is 420HC.
    C&C (a sponsoring dealer here so I can mention them by name) offers the 103 as a SFO (Special Factory Order) with a 5160 carbon steel blade.
    Both the 420HC and 5160 get the unbeatable BOS heat treat.

BTW Finess beats brute strength 100% of the time.
    Any knife will break if you beat on it hard enough and long enough. Most production knives are not designed or intended by the manufacturer to be batoned or other such nonsense and abuse.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Bigfattyt likes this.
  11. jmarston

jmarston

Dec 6, 2010
    Another vote for the Old Hickory Hunter. Before they came around I modified one of thei butcher knives to nearly the same blade and it is my go to.

Henry Beige and Just Tom. like this.
  12. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Old hickory butcher knives work very well.

13. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Nothing new here, just some pics of Old Hickory, Green River and Moras that have already been mentioned. Any of these has the visual flavor you are looking for. They sell in the neighborhood of twenty bucks.

5D99D2CC-4518-42B3-AF50-0EA3ECF0C0B9.jpeg A428BA75-FEC7-403A-879D-3B27B849BE41.jpeg 75E8E432-E1F6-44D1-8880-BB14E86375A6.jpeg

14. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I would say thumbs up to every one of the recommendations that I see here... except one. The BUCK 103 is a loser. Forget it. It is a gross fat clumsy fad skinner knife that is too heavy and hard to sharpen. Weird. Well... I guess that is just my opinion.

blademan 13 likes this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Never had a 103 but they've been around over 50 years by now, and the 420hc Buck uses today is very easy to sharpen.
    I'm not sure I would ever personally buy a 103, but have nothing against it.

16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I never had a Buck 103 either. I could imagine needing both hands on the knife with a bench-stone to sharpen that long, deep curve. It's an old traditional shape totally dedicated to skinning, of which I know nothing.

The sheath with that OH sure is nicer than anything I've ever done.

I wonder if OP ever found his knife.

17. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Now I want one of those old hickory hunters.

Henry Beige likes this.
  18. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    buck 119

specgrade likes this.
  19. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    The Tramontina is a fine machete. Mora or Old Hickory would be of a similar vein. For a little more, L.T. Wright makes a great knife.

20. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I'll chime in and put another vote in for Green River knives.... I've also got a case slabside that I've had for a long time that im very fond of. 15816208105741561631298.jpg
    I think they're discontinued but the last time I looked around it wasn't too hard to find them used.

mitch4ging likes this.