1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Magnet catch, Minimize Your Dust!!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Battle Creek Knives, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    I'm not sure if I seen this here or somewhere else but I thought I'd try it out..

I had an old speaker I was tossing out so I tore the magnet off and mounted it under my grinder to help keep dust at bay..

[​IMG]

after grinding bevels on 3 large knives here's what it looks like..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seems to work pretty good as there was little to no dust on my bench like there normally is when grinding, you have to keep your eye on it after it gets all hairy it'll start to catch like steel wool..

can't remember where I stole this idea, but just thought I'd share it.. I have to come up with whatever I can until I can get a dust collector down the road...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    Makes sense! I like it :thumbup:

3. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Very clever!

4. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Maybe put a plastic bag over that. When full, flip over the bag and throw away.

5. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    now there's something to build on... I'll have to try that..... thanks..

6. Don Nguyen

Don Nguyen

Oct 4, 2011
    Awesome. I have a really old torn speaker from my amp hiding somewhere. Now to go find it...

7. camoninja

camoninja

Feb 11, 2007
    Awesome idea. Imagine if ya had a rare earth magnet.

8. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    If your sprinkle the metal dust over a campfire you will get sparkles and impress the ladies. Try a little dust on the stove to see what i mean.

9. Frank Niro

Frank Niro

Sep 10, 2000
    Looks like a great idea ! Frank.

10. Leadfoot2

Leadfoot2

Aug 21, 2007

Won't the plastic bag melt or light up after the first few hot sparks.

Leadfoot

11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    My bench has welding magnets. I get them at HF when they are on sale. There are six of them sitting along the belt path. They catch a lot of metal. They will also start glowing when the metal dust catches a hot spark while hogging steel. It usually goes out on its own, but if it is glowing intensely, I just dunk the magnet in the slack bucket. I would bet that these magnets have removed over 100 pounds of metal dust in the years that they have been in use.

I use the plastic bag trick with the magnets I have sitting under the band saw, but the baggies don't hold up on the grinding bench. The baggie trick is really good for when you are cleaning up the bench and surrounding floor. As said, when done with the clean-up, just turn the baggie inside out over the dust and remove the clean magnet.

On the bench magnets, I just run a gloved finger around the groove and pinch off the bulk of the metal shavings. You do not want to do this with bare fingers!

12. dperk

dperk

May 16, 2006
    an electro-magnet would be cool! You cut the power and the particles fall off :)

13. watercrawl

watercrawl

Jun 2, 2006
    That's a really good idea. Huh!! Freaking geniuses around here. :)

14. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    I am the head genius. :eek:

15. mgysgthath

mgysgthath

Dec 15, 2009
    I was thinking of doing that with hard drive magnets (cuz I have access to so many) - only put them on the outside lower half of the slack bucket, so it pulls the filings down into the water. They're powerful neodymium magnets, but you'd still need quite a few. Also in the bottom of my hydraulic reservoir, once I get it, to catch metal etc before it goes into the pump. I haven't tested it, but I like the magnet ideas!

16. parbajtor

parbajtor

Nov 24, 2010
    Don't throw away, you have there, the start of some coffee tin damascus.

17. elementfe

elementfe

May 3, 2008
    The hard drive magnets are strong enough that you can just slap a piece of steel on the outside of a plastic bucket and the magnet on the inside and it stays wherever you want...or on thin material around the grinder, for that matter.
    I teach metal fab every year or two for a "build your own wind turbine" class- I partly get paid in gizmos and fancy magnets!
    Andy G.

18. D.Crawford

D.Crawford

Jan 15, 2008
    I've been toying with this idea myself. I also use a speaker magnet under my grinder. I stick a piece of
    bar stock on top to do the catching and separate the two for cleanup.

19. xmtgx

xmtgx

May 11, 2007
    I use a few 1 inch cube rare earth magnets around my grinders, dust is minimal with them. Wrap in a plastic bag for easy removal of the dust.

20. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I've found that cardstock over the magnet works very well. Similar to a baggy, but it won't melt.