Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by jdm61, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    This one is a wrap, finally! I got set back a bit but am getting back to it now.
    This one is a pretty interesting knife. Very light with laser qualities, but it's a hollow on convex grind of course.
    The handle holes were filled with black epoxy, matching the natural look, but no holes.

I am waiting for one response, but this one may still be available.

AEBL @ 63.
    246 by just over 54mm.
    Full distal taper from 3.3mm to 1.8mm a couple of inches from the tip. Tip is thin.

May-H-Gyuto1.jpg
    May-H-Gyuto3.jpg May-H-Gyuto6.jpg May-H-Gyuto8.jpg

2. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Yin and yang ..............1.5mm , 1.2519 in 63/64hrc grind almost sharp :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bmurray, Seesteel, Willie71 and 3 others like this.
  3. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Here's the latest kitchen knife out of my shop:
    Hitachi Blue #2/stainless steel San Mai I got from Randy Haas at HHH Knives a while back. I have been tinkering with this one for the last year finally got the grind right and learned how to etch with coffee from an Instagram post by Mareko Maumasi. It really makes a huge difference in the quality of etch and leaves the stainless alone.
    The handle is Silky Oak and African Blackwood with micarta and copper spacers.

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_62a by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_62f by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

Seesteel, Willie71, Natlek and 5 others like this.
  4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
  5. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    this was a fun one ... no frills large prep knife....i started my convexing with .030 behind the edge and ground in my distal taper vertically on the flat platen...along with the slight convex on the spine i ended up with 4 distinct facets on each blade face, then lightly belt finished with a 220 SC cork belt to blend it all together. So I found I can get a little more life from my belts if I grind full flat and then convex and switch back and forth several times, I end up getting down to final thickness quicker and save a 10$ belt along the way.
    [​IMG]

milkbaby and Willie71 like this.
  6. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder

Aug 12, 2005
    Weird how direct sunlight washes out the color and figure of the wood, but shows all of the fingerprints on the blade.:p 240mm AEB-L @61-62. Stabilized amboyna burl scales, stainless micro-corby's. sharpened to 8000 grit then stropped with Smurf poo.

IMG_0730.jpg

milkbaby likes this.
  7. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    first knife out my new AZ home and shop
    6" of Damascus suminagashi quenched in water
    pink ivory wood frame handle of G-10 and silicon bronze ferrule

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

milkbaby likes this.
  8. Arondale

Arondale

Jun 7, 2018
    My very trick Nakiri. Natural hammered instead of machined scalloped so vegetables don't stick to blade while cutting. Enjoy ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. comet_sharp

comet_sharp

Aug 22, 2016
    215 mm gyuto forged from .187" 52100 from Aldo. Heat treated in my garage to 63/64. Bevel ground flat then convexed to zero on waterstones. Handed to 600 grit.
    Bias cut ironwood wa handle mounted with a dowel, easier to broach :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    8.5" sujihiki in laminated white steel, stag Frame handle with African pink ivory wood and silicon bronze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

milkbaby likes this.
  11. Stephen Young

Stephen Young

Jul 3, 2018

I have a few knives in the style you have but I can not read Japanese, do you think you would be able to help me identify the knife?

12. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
  13. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives strombergknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    Just finished this 270mm Sujihiki in 2.5mm RWL34 at 64 HRC.

The blade is finished to 600 grit and has a convex grind. The handle is stabilised curly birch with a pakka wood ferrule and G10 liners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willie71 and milkbaby like this.
  14. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    11" OAL utility knife. 52100 63HRC. Mesquite and black G10

[​IMG]

Paring knife. 15n20 63HRC. Mesquite and black G10

[​IMG]

Willie71, Seesteel, milkbaby and 2 others like this.
  15. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

Willie71, milkbaby, Seesteel and 2 others like this.
  16. Loffs919

Loffs919

Aug 22, 2018
    First time posting on bladeforums. I started making knives about a year and a half ago. I've made about 20 knives so far. Thought I'd walk you through some of my progression (fair warning some of these are a from very early in my progression so they're pretty rough). All the knives shown are made with 1095....

First time trying to make and use micarta. Handle looks pretty horrible but I still use this one pretty regularly.
    [​IMG]

Jokingly call this the baby santoku. All resin handle, don't like the finish on it but it was an educational experience. Also acid etched in ferric chloride.
    [​IMG]

Nakiri. I really like the way the micarta turned out on this knife. Unfortunately, I got a little carried away with the acid etching.
    [​IMG]

Pair of knives I made for my parents with cedar handle. I know cedar isn't ideal for knife handles, I had multiple scales break throughout the process, but I think they turned out well.
    [​IMG]

Finished this one last week. I decided to leave the scaling marks from heat treat on and polished the distortions.
    [​IMG]

And a work in progress
    [​IMG]

Hope you all enjoyed. Feel free to give feedback. Thanks!

milkbaby and FOG2 like this.
  17. Loffs919

Loffs919

Aug 22, 2018
    Sorry, first time posting pictures too!

18. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    [​IMG]

Owner of the set I posted earlier wanted a carving knife, so I came up with this design, which matches the handle of the utility knife. 15n20 63HRC.

Willie71 and milkbaby like this.
  19. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    A couple friends of mine whose son got married today (since I wasn't invited, I'm assuming he got hitched and not cold feet), asked for a kitchen knife as one of their gifts to the newlyweds. I finished this santoku with saya just the day before they flew out to the wedding. It's 15N20 steel, Philippine ebony burl and dyed maple burl handle, and quilted maple saya. To me, this Philippine ebony is the most beautiful wood I've used for handle yet; I wish that had a bunch more of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. timos-

Oct 22, 2012
    My second show ...in Chicago, what a fun city!

[​IMG]

Willie71, milkbaby and Brock Cutlery like this.