Making my first sword!

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by David Mary, Mar 21, 2020.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Okay maybe technically my second, because my first was this little 13" bladed short sword.

IMG_5632.JPG

It was a fun build and all, and since found a new home.

But I have profiled a blank today out of 5/32" 1084 steel, and have given it a double distal taper.

IMG_5984.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG

I have never ground double sided bevel before, and so I am a bit nervous about this build. Nevertheless, there is a first time for everything. I plan to give it a diamond cross section, put a G10 handle on and make my first ever wood and leather scabbard. It will be a while before it's done, but I wanted to put it out there.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. Question for makers: I think I should temper this at about 500 for about 55-56 HRC, or would 450 for 57-58 be tough enough for a blade this size? Thanks!

Attached Files:

shoegazer, JJHollowman and bikerector like this.
  2. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I do not think you ever said how it was actually going to be? As a point of information, if you want to build a sword, a pommel is usually fairly important to bring the balance point back towards the hilt.

David Mary likes this.
  3. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    How long? 37" overall, 26.5" blade. I will be using G10 for the handle, which is fairly heavy, and with the long handle, should balance the piece out nicely a few inches ahead of the guard. It will contain elements of a long sword and an arming sword. It's not exactly going to be historically accurate.

4. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Well I certainly look forward to seeing what you come up with. As shown it has a faintly Jian like quality.

5. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Thank you. I actually was inspired by Chinese pieces! Except for the extra long handle. The tip is probably going to have more taper, and the blade become a little slimmer, as well as overall refinements for better symmetry. Thanks for your feedback!

6. OutdoorsFamilyMan4

OutdoorsFamilyMan4

Jan 20, 2012
    I love swords! I’ve always wanted one. ( in sure the 12 year old in all of us feels that way lol)

David Mary likes this.