1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

May 2019 Buck of the Month - Released

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Tecate, May 7, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Once a person has experience in a commercial meat market cutting meat or in a professional kitchen there's just not a knife offered toward
    home use that appeals. The knives this type person likes are sold individually and they tend to have bland handles. Marketed toward that arena & use. DM

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    So you're saying the kitchen and meat department life has ruined me. :(

On a side note... My wife came in while I was looking at the BotM and said "I want that!". So maybe there's hope for me yet, lol. In for one!

She's doubly excited now that I told her that 12c27 kind of reminds me of a stainless 52100. :)

Untitled.png

When it comes to processing meat... I use these two for the most part at home (I use the exact same straight butcher at work, just with a white handle). The straight butcher is fine, but I'm actively looking to replace the boning knife. Elmax would be fun.

[​IMG]

When I'm using a smaller Chef knife, I use this 7" Kramer/Zwilling 52100 Santoku (It has much more of a patina these days).

[​IMG]

Even though I much prefer the handle and steel on the Kramer, more often than not, I find myself reaching for my 10" Chef knife because of the extra reach, stability, and versatility. Right now I'm using a Dalstrong Gladiator and it's #1 on my list of kitchen knives to replace, which is why I was bummed that the BotM is 8".

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. T Rainer

T Rainer

Jul 26, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Just another pic for you guys.

Wharn, Brhowser87, jbmonkey and 3 others like this.
  4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Everything on that cutting board looks good. I'll be over with some Ritz crackers... Thanks, DM

Vaporstang and jbmonkey like this.
  5. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    It's a darn good looking knife, that's for sure.

I was extremely happy when I heard Buck had partnered with Taylor to bring us sustainably sourced ebony scales on some of their most popular offerings. I am even more pleased to see the wood slowly working its way on to other models. :D

I was hoping to get clarification on a couple things though... This is 12c27M (like what is used for Opinel's), rather than 12c27 correct? If I remember correctly, 12c27M is a little bit tougher and corrosion resistant, while 12c27 is a can get harder and holds an edge a bit longer. I think 12c27M might be just about the most ideal steel I can think of for a Chef knife for my wife. She doesn't wash knives in the dishwasher, but she's not nearly as careful as I am about washing and drying knives directly after use. Looking at her Victorinox Chef knife (she's too scared to use the Kramer, lol) it seems like she could use the extra toughness too. I see more than a couple spots on the edge where the steel rolled, lol.

And since we can't see a picture of the other side... Can anyone tell me if it has the BOS logo/heat treat?

6. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    I saw that one in the email from Buck. Are there any more?

7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    In the email it states only 150 were made. When I called Buck yesterday, Kevin said there were 50 left. DM

8. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    I meant the photo itself. I ordered mine about twenty mins after I saw that pic in the email.

9. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    I like plain Jane. My local restaurant supply store started stocking the victorinox knives with the plain black handle. Great knives dirt cheap

brownshoe likes this.
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Fixall ,On my kitchen set, the 900 series, none of them have the Bos logo. But this sabatier being a special run, maybe it does. DM

11. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    Ours should be in on Friday, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. Not a big deal if it doesn't have the logo, I was just curious. :)

Now I have to think of something to do with the sheath! We hang our knives on a magnetic, walnut strip, but this Micarta sheath looks too nice not to use.

12. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Its my understanding that they dont put the logo on 420, even though it is bos heat treated. The logo is only used on the special steels, such as this.

13. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I've done a lot of head to head testing on knives with the same grind just different steels. And I notice a difference, not just how long they
    cut but on how they slice. I'm curious if you gents will see a difference when you begin to use this knife because of it's up grade steel? DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  14. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Paul Bos doesn't work for Buck anymore. He retired about 10 years ago.

15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, 10 years ago. But his formulas that he designed through the years for heat treating blades are still used. And he had achieved such a standing in the cutlery industry that his name still commands respect. DM
    edit: I thought I lost this post, then wrote the second one and then it appeared.?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, 10 years ago. But his work in the cutlery industry and at Buck commands a high standing. Thus, when his name goes on a blade it
    is saying we are still using his formulas so you can bet the blade will be sound.
    He was inducted in to the Cutlery Hall of Fame in 2010, after nearly 50 years of
    work in the industry. Folks that 2 careers. DM

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  17. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    That may well be, but they still have rights/whatever to use that heat treat and label as such.

18. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Arrrrgghh!!! I couldn't take it anymore. I have one on the way! (Hopefully the wifey won't ask how much it cost.)

One question: it says ebony for the handle. It kind of looks like macassar ebony from the pictures, but I know ebony can vary... Anyone know?

Wharn likes this.
  19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I don't know, the email I got doesn't say. I think it is solid ebony, not a laminate.
    @Fixall , in the email it does name the steel as 12c27Mod.. DM