1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

May 2019 Buck of the Month - Released

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Tecate, May 7, 2019.

1. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Paul BOS heat treat going stronger than ever. His name has become the process.

In 1969, Paul bought Star Heat Treat and established Certified Metal Craft, and soon they were doing virtually all the heat treat done in San Diego County. By the time he left in 1980 it was the biggest heat treat service in Southern California, doing work for such big names as Boeing, Lockheed, Grumman and others.
    At the same time, he was still working with Buck Knives. He found himself working 18 hours a day, seven days a week, and decided that was too much.

But his love of heat treat and Buck Knives was still very much alive. In the late '70s he helped Buck set up their own heat treat department, complete with the ovens and all the necessary equipment. So he and the Buck's worked out an arrangement where Paul would operate his own business right in the Buck plant - a win-win situation, where he was always on-site to serve Buck, while still doing heat treat for custom knife makers all over America. In 2001, Paul sold his business to Buck Knives, but remained the on-site heat treat expert.

In 2007 Bos was the recipient of the "Blade Magazine Industry Achievement Award" for the contributions and advances he made in heat treating technology. Furthermore, in 2010 he was inducted into the "Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame©" in recognition of nearly 50 years as the foremost authority on the heat treatment of steel for knife blades.

Paul Bos retired from Buck Knives in June, 2010. His retirement marked the end of an amazing era of accomplishment. Bos handed down the heat treat role to Paul Farner, after successfully teaching him the ins and outs of the business for over 10 years. Farner now runs the heat treat department, as well as serves the custom knife makers.

Although he has retired, Bos remains an intricate part of Buck's heat treat protocol. Bos is still accessible and maintains an in-depth role when new steels are introduced and tested.

ABOUT PAUL FARNER
    When Bos retired, he entrusted the business to none other than, heat treat expert, Paul Farner. Farner worked alongside Bos for over 10 years, learning the key aspects of the heat treat process.

Paul Farner first began working for Buck Knives in 1994, while the Buck Knives factory was still located in El Cajon, California. During the winter months, Farner recalls the temperature in the heat treat room reaching points of 103-106 degrees Fahrenheit . Although many employees were discouraged with working in the area for that reason, Farner, who had worked in construction for over 13 years, was not bothered by the intense heat. After only one year in the heat treat department, Farner was promoted to Heat Treat Lead. Working on both Buck products and custom heat treating, Farner was busy learning all of the various techniques and processes involved in the heat treating of different metals.

"I enjoyed the challenge and learning from the best," Farner recalls of his training days with Bos. "Paul was a great mentor."

In his free time, Farner enjoys watching football and Nascar races, boating and fishing on Lake Coeur d'Alene, camping, fishing, and taking in the beautiful rugged outdoors and hiking trails that North Idaho has to offer

2. NapalmCheese

NapalmCheese

Aug 24, 2006
    That's my everyday chef knife! I'm sorta looking for a 12 inch just to try it out.

This mont's BOTM would be a great camp kitchen knife. Some people feel a need to look for 'camp' knives that can somehow do kitchen chores AND chop down redwood trees. I just process all my food before I go camping or take my chef knife in a blade slip. This BOTM seems like a nice little package for the camping cook.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    Mine should be here today!

Thank you taking the time to write that up! Very cool!

4. T Rainer

T Rainer

Jul 26, 2018
    It is solid ebony. It is actually the same ebony Taylor Guitars uses on it's fret boards! Highly recommend checking out their website about it.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/ebonyproject

Vaporstang likes this.
  5. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    There is indeed a BOS stamp. We just opened ours.

Eta:
    [​IMG]

6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    nice. ffg or a thin full hollow grind on it. cant quite tell while in the sheath. thanks.

7. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    It’s ffg.

Tecate and jbmonkey like this.
  8. K-Lastima

K-Lastima

Jul 2, 2009
    Waiting patiently for mine to come.
    Nice dark looking wood on that one.

PStone likes this.
  9. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Ours came in earlier today.

My wife hasn't had a chance to see it yet, but I am very impressed with it (as per usual with knives from Buck). The grind is phenomenal as is the overall fit & finish. The sheath is way nicer than I was expecting, although the magnets are pretty strong and can pull the blade into the Micarta with some force if you're not careful. I'm really liking the knife much more than I thought I would.

The ebony has a very nice coloration. I believe that Taylor decided to use West African Ebony instead of Macassar ebony on their farm, so I imagine that's what this is. I really LOVE that Buck partnered with Taylor. I really can't state that enough. There are a lot of scraps being used that would typically be waste. On top of that... Taylor recently made a change with how they pay for ebony. They used to pay more for the jet black ebony. The problem with that is that you have to cut down 10 - 20 ebony trees before you find one that is all black... And since the all black trees were worth so much more, the loggers would just leave the fallen, striped ebony on the ground to rot. Taylor now pays equally for ebony regardless of the color which is great for conservation of this beautiful wood. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

The only thing I think needs to be changed on the knife (other than adding 2" - 3", lol) is the top of the bolster is a little sharp and might make a pinch grip uncomfortable. Super easy fix though and I'll probably address that now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Vaporstang, eveled, jmh33 and 5 others like this.
  10. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Well, I tried to hold out but these pictures broke me down. I'm in :)

I can justify the price with the special steel, real Ebony wood and a full flat grind. Plus, I won't need another, ever.

Vaporstang and Tecate like this.
  11. Tecate

Tecate Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2017
    I was going to stay away from this one, but decided to buy it for the camping trips in the RV. I already keep a couple of the paperstone large stowaway kits with the spreader in the RV and the paperstone sheath of this chef knife will match up well. :) Apparently I am all about accessorizing my cutlery. :eek:

Hey Buck (Jeff Hubbard), Any chance you could make the cutlery fork with the same ebony wood to match the knife handle? It would make a nice combo set for the RV. :D I would buy two of them if you did. ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Vaporstang and jbmonkey like this.
  12. Chilebrown

Chilebrown

Oct 4, 2017
    I received my Buck of The Month yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. I think it would be a great user in the kitchen. I am looking at it, took a couple of pictures and noticed that the blade finish is just plain sloppy. You can see grind marks on both sides of the blade. The transition from the heel to the bolster looks like a high school shop project. I really hope that this was just a one knife that slipped by. I will be calling customer service Monday morning. I know Buck's customer service is great and I will be taken care of one way or another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sassafrassdogs3, PStone and jbmonkey like this.
  13. honestlyinsane

honestlyinsane Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Chile ,
    Contact Jeff Hubbard.
    I just wrote up about the cutlery set I bought and they look much better than that knife.
    These issues make me scratch my head.
    My BOTM from March was also screwed up.
    Jeff made it right.
    It's sad that the regular production knives are coming out better than the Limited Edition knives.
    For people like me who have a hard time spending good hard earned money on knives for a product like that to show up it drives me nuts . One day it will make me stop collecting.
    So if anything know that Buck will make it right.

14. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Guys, I wish this wasn't the case. DM

15. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    Mine is about like yours, a little worse imo. I am going to call Buck Monday as well. I too expect higher quality from such a limited run at almost twice the price of a regular production.
    [​IMG]

16. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I would be disappointed to see that on a normal production run.

17. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Yea that would annoy me on a production knife let alone the BOTM. But we're lucky in the fact there's really no question if buck will make it right. It just sucks.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  18. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    When nailing off plywood on the roof, i always make the guy that got careles and made the shiners backem out, he wont miss them next time.

19. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I hate to say it... But I’m going to have to agree and say that I think the quality control needs to be stepped up on the Buck of the Month offerings.

My Buck of the Month 55 from last month was shipped with a gouge in the Micarta. It’s a user, so I didn’t make a big deal about it or send it in... But honestly, others in this thread do have pretty valid points.

We’re paying about double the standard retail price for the Buck’s of the Month and they are a very limited production. I’d like to see those ~150 knives produced each month get an extra “once over” before being shipped to what are very likely the most loyal of Buck’s customers.

[​IMG]

sassafrassdogs3, Tecate and Llasi like this.
  20. Tecate

Tecate Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2017
    I would agree that some of the BOTM and Limited Production knives I have purchased directly from Buck over the last year have been less than stellar on quality control. I document all of my Buck Knives in a spreadsheet and note if I have had to send a knife back to be reworked. Out of the BOTM and Limited Production knives I have purchased over the last year, I have had to send 6 back to be fixed. Considering these knives demand a premium $$, they should be top shelf quality leaving the facility.

I won't deny that they have the best warranty and staff on getting knives fixed and all of mine were resolved over time, but wouldn't it be better if we didn't have to think about the warranty process when we receive these premium knives? In my opinion...the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.

Typically I do not chime in on this type of thing, but I 100% agree that they really need to step up QA on the BOTM and Limited Production series.

Now will this stop me from buying more? Hell no! At least I know I can eventually get them resolved, if needed.

Now back to fishing the bay for more Buck deals. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2019