Mecha's forge burned down

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by AVigil, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Shoot man. That is really terrible. Glad you two made it out. Really glad.
    Whether you are making crazy new stuff or not, I have a feeling this community will be there for you.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and a slick new shop!
    Sorry about your loss. Such a bummer.

Mecha likes this.
  2. John Cahoon

John Cahoon JWC Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Man that picture on the gofundme... wow. Hoping for the best Mecha.

Thanks for the link @DeadboxHero , might I suggest posting it on every page so more people will see it who don't go back to page 1 or 2?

(PS your inbox is full)

3. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Thanks, I'll empty it. :)

Yea, that sounds like a good plan, don't need my permission to do that either. :D anyone step up and do it :D

Mecha likes this.
  4. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    All right, think I know how to make the best of this, shop-wise and with the good parts of the ti stock. Plan forming!!! Just have to find a place to live, and start to make it go.

The right combo of tools will turn the wreckage into the best blades yet.

5. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

You don’t wanna see the bad pics. Eventually after I get to sort through the ruins, a full explanation can get posted to my subforum.

Sharp & Fiery and WValtakis like this.
  6. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Kicked in. You have your lives. The rest can be replaced. Best of luck.

Sharp & Fiery, Buster Dawid and mb> like this.
  7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Storm Crow likes this.
  8. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    @Mecha

Hey man, absolutely not to be a downer, but can you confirm that you are indeed attached to this GoFundMe? I don't know who Hubert Shen is, and the top funding level has increased multiple times, and I (candidly) want to make sure I didn't give money to someone who is going to bounce.

Signed,

A Professional Paranoid

dirc, WValtakis, jux t and 4 others like this.
  9. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    He thanked me for contributing, and I can't find it quickly now but somewhere he said that a customer of his started it, so it should be legit.

Mecha likes this.
  10. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    See post #35

11. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    What a terrible thing to have happen :( hoping you can recover quickly as possible.

Mecha likes this.
  12. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks for looking out, Quiet. I am also a pro paranoid.

Yep Hubert started it for me, very kind of him. I’m happy and humbled that so many people donated to the fund. I have formulated a full plan to resurrect the ti sword making operations and be able to use the good ti alloy that survived in an efficient and trustworthy manner. The reason he raised the limit was because that is the actual cost to make the plan happen, but even what people have already given is going to be a massive help!

I had been making Hubert a custom bronze knife when it happened. The bronze knife was in the oven and, hilariously, survived the blaze.

13. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    right before heat treatment

[​IMG]

14. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    It’s specially-formulated Bronze made by a materials scientist who is trying to duplicate the mechanical attributes of beryllium bronze but without the beryllium.

15. barleywino

barleywino Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Just to clarify, I don't get a single penny of the funds raised. From Gofundme: "Only one person is allowed to withdraw per each fundraiser. Once funds go out, you cannot change the person who withdraws." I set it up with Mecha as the beneficiary and only he is able to withdraw from the account. Regards, Hubert

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  16. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    Dang, sorry to see this. Has the kitty been found yet?

Mecha likes this.
  17. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Kitty did not escape the fire. Me and Oye buried her in a peaceful place in the woods beneath a cedar tree.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts, everyone.

18. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Sorry to hear about kitty.

19. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    :(:(:(

20. barleywino

barleywino Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Maybe the cat can be the insignia/ mascot of a new product line

Mecha likes this.