Meet The Beast!!!. . . Meet The Mega Ratweiler!!!. . . Coming Wed. 2-19-2020 At 9:00PM Eastern!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by MaxRat, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Baoh

Baoh

Jul 4, 2013
    Man, now you got me thinking.....:). Just have to throw in my two cents here.

If corrosion resistance is the issue you are worried about a patina will protect the SR-101 just fine in my experience.
    One of my first two Busse's (Kin) is a custom satin RatManDu (300 made) black G10 that had been in Hawaii for years for all I know. It has no rust on it. Given it now lives in CO.
    All I am saying is that is my experience with this one knife a patina on SR-101 can survive Hawaiian salt air.....which by the way I couldn't believe the poor cars :(. This coming from a native Virginian.

So why am I saying all this. I love the look of wood and different grain patterns.
    The machining marks on the SwampComp finish look like grain lines in wood to me. It looks awesome. There are some fantastic close ups somewhere on here.
    Love my MegaRat SwampComp maroon. Was literally just thinking about getting some citrus/acidic food to get a patina going. So far just some pine sap seems to have done a little something here and there.
    So should I get another cause I am in total agreement with you.
    I have a 2016 RW which I love (Handle!!). Was just thinking this morning how the Mega is heavier yet may feel lighter?! More testing needed :). I think I like the MRW handle even more. Seems thinner around the index finger than the 2016 and I love it. The rounded edges...wow. Never held any Nuclear MeltDown knives but I'm guessing it is similar.
    Now should I order a Green Canvas/Desert Sage!?

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    My black canvas with forced patina via yellow mustard:

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

mqqn, sixplymaple, MaxRat and 5 others like this.
  3. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    MaxRat likes this.
  4. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Thank you! :) Love this grind, I am impressed at how thin it is behind the edge given the 0.35" spine thickness. I measure mine at 0.040" immediately behind the edge, and 0.090" thick at ~7/16" up. :cool:

MaxRat and Woodsmann like this.
  5. Woodsmann

Woodsmann Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Logging in this morning I was still torn between swamp comp with black/tan g-10, and, just as you said, green canvas/desert sage.
    As mentioned, the machining on the naked steel is beautiful. Mostly I’d just like to better see the grind transition at the curve of the blade. That grind is art!

In the end I think coated won out just on the basic principle that it’s another layer to wear out before I get into the steel. And I do love how it smooths out with use, stropping, etc.
    The green canvas and desert sage combo would be flat sexy. And if I was going for a collection piece that’s what I’d get. Or the comp/blk/tan g10 lol.

At the end of the day I just like this knife so much I wanted a spare. So back to the muddy/tan I ordered before lol.

By the by, I’ve got a NMFSH, maroon g-10 and desert sage. Great looking knife, but black water and blood have really stained the coating. I have thought about stripping it down, open to any advice on that!

Baoh likes this.
  6. Baoh

Baoh

Jul 4, 2013
    I hear you loud and clear. When you know what you like absolutlely get two. I just thought you may think it would corrode w/o coating is all. All are awesome. Actually ordered two more today.
    Desert Sage/Green Canvas
    SwampComp/Green Canvas
    This just fits me. Thanks again SWKW. This thing is a real piece of art. This is it for while :).

Woodsmann likes this.
  7. Baoh

Baoh

Jul 4, 2013
  8. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Strip that NMFSH!!! You'll almost certainly find a near-perfect BIG satin finish under the coating on the blades of those. The final full-height flat grind appeared to be applied after the HT process, and most of us that stripped them found nearly none, to very little sign of scale on the metal's surface.

ETA - Found pics of mine immediately after stripping. Just a light bit of scale.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Came off easily with a bit of Scotchbrite.

IMG_1003.JPG

Pitting? Even some of the most neglected nekkid SR-101 I've seen didn't have any pitting. Glad you liked the pics. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Woodsmann likes this.
  9. Baoh

Baoh

Jul 4, 2013
    By pitting I mean tiny black dots. To notice would require a magnifying glass.

10. Woodsmann

Feb 11, 2020
    That’s awesome. What did you use to strip it?

11. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Cant wait for my fat little rat to show up.

Swampcomp finish ftw

12. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Citristrip. Let is sit for awhile, then scrape it off. Use an ultra-fine (maroon) Scotchbrite pad to clean up any scale you might find.

Woodsmann likes this.
  13. MaxRat

MaxRat

Dec 30, 2019
  14. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    Lets see some in action.

15. Woodsmann

Feb 11, 2020
    [​IMG]

16. Woodsmann

Feb 11, 2020
    Cannot.

17. MaxRat

MaxRat

Dec 30, 2019
    Thanx. You can't imagine the hours of refinement that went into this knife... The hardest part was keeping the secret for months while we made this knife perfect..

lmcq784 likes this.
  18. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003
    So why are these so clean and free of grinder marks. Do you guys have a new machine or something?

And does that mean everything from here on out (including Busse) is gonna have a cleaner finish on the bare steel?

19. Seanieo

Seanieo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2020
    I got the ping. She's on the way. My first Swamp Rat be here FRIDAY!!

20. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lucky man! Your gonna be impressed.
    Please follow up with some pics;)