Meet The Beast!!!. . . Meet The Mega Ratweiler!!!. . . Coming Wed. 2-19-2020 At 9:00PM Eastern!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by MaxRat, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    If you get one of these and you don't get it with the comp blade you are a wussy.

Looks like the handle is way swoopier than my Ratweiler. Yeah, that's a word.

What a beast!

JACKMANDU likes this.
  2. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lol! You sold me. Hahaha comp with canvas micarta is the one for me. I’m torn between black or tan. I’ll take one of those leather sheaths too, if it’s cheap. Like under $50.

3. crufflers

crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    Last two Team Gemini's were green micarta, I'll stick with that and either comp or hammered silver blade. Maybe both.

4. Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Feb 11, 2020
    Where do I sign?
    Man I’m stoked for one of these. I regularly find myself in the woods with both a NMFSH and a Tops (can I say that here?) Wild pig Hunter. One too small for hacking trail thru mountain laurel, or bay bushes at the coast, the other just not my favorite pig sticker. And man I stick a lot of pigs. Also got a badger attack ergo 2 that lives in my pack, for all the work that comes after the fun part lol.
    This Mega might just get me down to carrying one knife. Maybe.

RATequila likes this.
  5. MaxRat

MaxRat

Dec 30, 2019
    I've tested this knife until I'm blue in the face and I haven't found a weak spot yet... I'm not going into the woods without one ever again... It's amazing the tip and edge strength we've been able to achieve and still retain the reduced friction coefficient of a hollow grind for slicing... I wish I would have had one of these Rats my whole life... The problem was it wasn't possible to make it until recent manufacturing break throughs... This is the product of modern day Rum Added Technology..

6. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Really Avid Teasing on your part Max, when will it be available???o_O

RATequila and lmcq784 like this.
  7. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Pics? Video? Release date? Give us something! :confused:

RATequila likes this.
  8. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    That would be awesome - BF used to have a lot more passarounds than it has lately.

This would be a great compliment to the Eraticator, I would just need a wheeled Knife-caddy for longer hikes. :p

best

mqqn

AntDog likes this.
  9. teclis22

teclis22

Jun 10, 2009
    Any release date yet for this action?

lmcq784 and jeepin like this.
  10. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

Yeah. When are you guys gonna have the $30.00 off sale?

lmcq784 and ScoMa like this.
  11. primalblades

primalblades

Feb 23, 2014
    when will this beast be avail? I am def in. lol.

12. MaxRat

MaxRat

Dec 30, 2019
    I apologize for not having an actual weight but I've been busier the a rat in a room full of cats... The next Mega Rat is designed and we're working out the production issues right now... I can tell you the new grind design removes some of the weight you're worried about, from areas it's not absolutely needed and moves the rest to where it will do the most good... I roll this knife up in my bed roll with just enough handle exposed that I can get to it any time I want it, or need it... I put my pack on and walked around a while, then pushed the Mega Ratweiler in my bed roll and put the pack back on... I know I added weight but if I hadn't been the one that added the weight I never would have noticed... I once stuck 4 beers in a friends pack and he carried them all morning and never noticed till I asked him for a beer at lunch time... LOL... I later removed my hatchet from my pack which would no longer be needed with the new Mega Ratweiler and I'm not sure but I believe the trade was close enough that I gained little or nothing in total weight … Its not a Mega Sword... That does sound interesting though...

ScoMa likes this.
  13. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Ahhhhh... So we have a Rat sword coming through soon, I hope :D

Does that mean the Rucki would be off the website soon? If I'm contemplating getting another one, am I in danger of not having one of I don't get one ordered now?

JACKMANDU, ScoMa and bikerector like this.
  14. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Very interesting. I don't think it would surpass the thin cut ratweiler for me, as I still think it's the best knife I've had for tackling all manner of tasks, but sometimes bigger is funner. I suspect this would be better for wood processing, but we'll see I suppose.

I used to think that thicker spines lead to heavy and bad slicers, and normally that is true. The one exception I have found that I've actually owned is a cold steel trailmaster, which was really surprising. Still prefer the ratweiler by a mile because the handle is fantastic but the trail master was surprising given it's thickness, ability to slice, and it's lack of obscene weight. I'm really curious if that hollow grind hybrid thing knocks the weight down a little from what we normally think of with 0.35" thick blades, which is pretty common with kuhkris.

I would be down for a passaround.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one and would be willing to send it around for a test-a-roo to members I'm familiar with. Pretty sure I'm only getting it to round out my ratweiler collection (thin cut infi, fat cut 1/4", and mega fat now), but I use the fixed blades in my collection so it's going to get dirty. It won't help you with the initial purchase, but sounds like it may be available again if it sells given it has an introductory price.

lmcq784 and WILLIAM.M like this.
  15. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I just can't say no to this.

I'm having a tough time finding the transitions of the grinds in the photos. Meaning FANTASTIC work guys. Really nicely done grinds.

I can't wait to have one in my greezeey mitts.

lmcq784 likes this.
  16. PABladeGuy

PABladeGuy Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Love these FAT blades!

How rust-prone is the SR-101?

17. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    It either is or is very close to 52100, so it will rust like most carbon steels or low chromium tool steels. Not as bad as O1 or 1095, but not much better either. Keep it dry and oil if it's wet for a while. The comp finish ones are gonna patina really well.

I got a lot of use out of this stripped thin cut ratweiler before finding an infiweiler a few years later.

[​IMG]

Closest I have of it after stripping. It's a lot more silver and the micarta is clean.
    [​IMG]

RATequila, ironwagon, mqqn and 2 others like this.
  18. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    This Wednesday?!?
    Man... Hardly even have time to recover from the CupidGanzaaa and finding a rodent riding a snake!

ScoMa likes this.
  19. Woodsmann

Woodsmann

Feb 11, 2020
    Any other pics of some well loved SR101? Really leaning toward the nekked steel.

20. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Must...Have...FatWeiler.

You are a chubby little Rat.....

best

mqqn

ScoMa likes this.