1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Memorial Day weekend

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, May 24, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    This weekend we honor those who sacrificed all for the cause of freedom. So, we may enjoy the fruits of their efforts. I honor all of you with loved ones who paid this price for me and my family to know the freedoms we have today. This is for you. Then, I'll get to the meal time. DM
    ColonelsFuneral.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    For This weekend I have thawed out a point cut brisket and I'll sprinkle on Montreal Seasoning and move it to the fridge. Then tomorrow morning start the charcoal and put it on. Some of our kids are coming and it is my wife's birthday. So, a double whammy. Hope you too have family or friends over. DM
    EmpressNine2.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Jeff#103, Old Hunter, pjsjr and 4 others like this.
  3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    exactly Sir. well said. good holiday weekend to all.

looks like its gonna be a good meal.

Jeff#103 and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  4. Jeff#103

Jeff#103

Oct 17, 2007
    Should be considered a sacred, solemn day by all, it is NOT about fun in the sun.
    I visited my uncle's grave yesterday, trimmed the grass and placed a Flag there.
    T/Sgt. James E. Hulings, 34th Bombardment Group, Eighth Air Force. KIA 01/20/1945.
    Initially buried in Cambridge, England. His remains were returned home for burial in 1948.
    I won't let him be forgotten.

Ace Rimmer, GPyro, jbmonkey and 11 others like this.
  5. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    God Bless America, Our Troops, Veterans and mostly those that gave it all for their country...

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Indeed, Jeff. We have it planned to go visit my Father in Law the Colonel later today. He served from 1941-72, 'In Country' in every campaign.
    I had to tow the line to get his permission for his baby daughter's hand. And I didn't mind doing it. Here's the Honor Guard in action. DM
    ColonelsFuneral4.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Ace Rimmer, KarlG, Jeff#103 and 4 others like this.
  7. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Well said, both of you. Memorial Day is, as David said, for those who gave their life for our freedom and way of life.. Veterans Day, November 11, is to honor all who have served in the armed forces to maintain our freedoms. America, home of the free because of the brave.
    [​IMG]

JSutter, Ace Rimmer, KarlG and 10 others like this.
  8. STDK

STDK Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 31, 2006
    The wife and I will be heading out shortly to place flags on my brother Butch's and brother in law Bob's grave, they are both within shouting distance from each other.
    RIP brothers.

David Martin, KarlG, Jeff#103 and 6 others like this.
  9. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Very well said. I wish more people understood this day

Miss you pop.
    Kenneth D. Caldwell (5/14/33-10/7/18)
    Aircraft Carrier USS Bennington (50-54)

GPyro, KarlG, Jeff#103 and 5 others like this.
  10. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Nice thread post David ... to often we forget the real reasons we have holidays ...

I just want to add not only a huge thank you to those who served ... but to their families that also served as sons, daughters, wives, parents of our troops all sacrificed too ...

God Bless and thank you to everyone that served ... you may not hear it near often enough but you are all appreciated.

- JJ

Old Hunter, GPyro, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  11. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Thank you JJ. Yes, We have one on active duty. DM

12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    It comes up every year. There is an obvious distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

It’s seems to me Memorial Day is for all who served and have passed on. Even if they died at home.

I believe this to be true because flags are put on all the graves at Arlington without figuring out where, when, or how the deceased became deceased.

In any case I wish all here a safe Holiday weekend.

David Nowlin and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  13. pjsjr

Jan 2, 2005
    Ed, this is an excerpt from History.com...

'Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars." I did 'bold' the last part. I understand the difficulty of decorating only the graves of those KIA.

14. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Well said guys. Thank you to all who gave everything.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  15. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Certainly correct on all points.

I would hate for somebody to feel it was wrong to honor their relative who came home from war and died at home. Especially if deceased from war injuries or disease contracted while serving even if it was years later.

I think we are all on the same page here.

Most people it seems don’t even know what the word memorial means let alone what Memorial Day means.

Peace be with you all on this sacred weekend. Ed

16. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    So many of our very best..

KarlG likes this.
  17. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    It has become a holiday weekend for barbecue and the beginning of summer. Glad to see the true and deeper meaning appreciated by forum members .

Here is a picture I took out in the middle of Bear Swamp at an old abandoned farm in the woods, my wife and I were hiking. It really touched me because at the time my son was 19, same age as the soldier who died far from his upstate home.

In our community, there is a "watch fire" ceremony where old flags are burned, and remembrances and the fire is to help guide the spirits of all those passed back home to the rally point.

Attached Files:

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  18. pjsjr

Jan 2, 2005
    I'll not belabor the point. I believe everyone, military and civilian first responders, should be thanked and remember for their service!

19. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

JSutter, jbmonkey, GPyro and 3 others like this.
  20. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Thanks for the thread David.

Thank-You to all for your service and sacrifice to our great nation. I appreciate it more than words can say.

sassafrassdogs3 and jbmonkey like this.