1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Micarta sanding

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by StrangeDaze, May 28, 2019.

1. StrangeDaze

StrangeDaze Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    I sanded a tiny bit of micarta ( got some scales for my bk11 but the inside parts touched, sanded them down a tiny bit.) i used a file and did the whole thing under water. Reading more about sanding micarta it sounds like its really bad to breath. Was putting the micarta under water enough or should i have used a respirator?

2. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    You’re good.

Bill DeShivs likes this.
  3. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Really, you need to develop good respirator habbits in your shop.

A.McPherson likes this.
  4. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Full scuba suit or just a snorkel?

ChristoDart likes this.
  5. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Submerging is overkill.. Simply wetsanding is adequate.
    I do a fair bit of dry powersanding and a powerful dust extractor. Should be respirator using also, But dont. Just relying on extraction and good forced crossflow pushing dust away from my air breathing zone.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    By all means folks, grind and sand Micarta without respirator. too many knife makers right now, some Darwinian natural selection is in order :)

On a serious note, the stuff is horrible to breath in. don't be 'that guy' who thinks hes too manly to need one.