Military opinion?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Elly's Pa, Apr 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elly's Pa

Elly's Pa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2016
    I bought this Military awhile back from united outdoors on ebay. I inspected it, no red flags for me.

I sold it a few weeks ago... the buyer msg me because he thinks its fake.

Opinions?

171B30C0-32DF-4200-8DEC-18D298415A27.jpeg 08700603-48B9-4482-9FBA-A52DB7DE0624.jpeg 3FEB342E-CD52-4A89-A5F9-1ED3608A428F.jpeg 7F73FA85-CB3D-43AC-8FE1-0EB9D16F6720.jpeg 5800B5CA-8426-4A25-B86D-D2DC46635435.jpeg 38CFD312-06E3-4B44-B57F-5FECE772E860.jpeg

2. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    It’s not fake but it’s not the most current version.

fonedork, Notchlubber and 115Italian like this.
  3. Elly's Pa

Elly's Pa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2016
    I got it in 2014 or 2012. Yes not the current version.

4. Notchlubber

Notchlubber

Jan 29, 2020
    Hello. I'm the buyer. I just disassembled this knife and it has a metal backspacer. I've heard this means it's not a genuine Spyderco. Is this true?

5. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    No

fonedork, Notchlubber and 115Italian like this.
  6. Notchlubber

Notchlubber

Jan 29, 2020
    I'll post the pics I have once I figure out how :D

In the meantime, I'll list the things that concern me:

• The box stock feels stiffer, less waxy, and has sharper edges than any I've felt before.
    • There is no warranty book or papers in the box.
    • The plastic bag feels less substantial.
    • The oil (which the knife is covered in) has that "Chinese" smell to it.
    • The blade is not sharpened all the way to the choil.
    • The G-10 feels different than any other Spyderco G-10 I've come across. Smoother.
    • The bevels on the edges of the scales are very wide. Makes the edges feel more rounded.
    • Pivot screw was loose and had blue loctite on it.
    • All body screws were easy to loosen. There was blue loctite on each and all were covered with the formentioned oil.
    • There's a large burr on the end of the lock

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  7. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Knife looks legit to me.

Notchlubber likes this.
  8. blueblur

blueblur

Feb 25, 2009
    The knife also looks legit to me. That is what the pre-cqi model is like. None of the knives I’ve bought from Spyderco are sharpened all the way to the choil.

Notchlubber and 115Italian like this.
  9. toxophilus

toxophilus Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2015
    Since you took it apart, pics of the blade by the pivot plz; it will have a born on date stamped on it... this means it is the real deal.

Looks like an older model, my Cruwear Millie has the same style clip!

MilitaryBornOnDateStampBeveled_042720.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    nephron and Notchlubber like this.
  10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Are you comparing the box, bag, G-10, edges of the scales, blue locative to a knife made around the same time or a current model ?
    Not having paperwork is not uncommon even for newer knives. Did you ask if it came with the paperwork ?
    How did you determine the oil has a Chinese smell to it ? What exactly does that mean ?
    Here’s a pic of two recent models, notice where the sharpening edge stops.

1A717032-4282-4A07-AD32-9E0740A50250.jpeg

toxophilus likes this.
  11. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Backspacer on that generation is metal. Everything that would point to a fake is not there. Clip is correct. Screw heads are correct. Blade markings are correct.

12. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Looks legit to me. Seems like you have been watching some how to spot a counterfeit youtube videos since all your points of concern mimic those videos. Which is good, don't get me wrong. But, like others have said, it appears to be a pre-cqi Military. If you still have it disassembled, do you see a date stamp on the part of the blade near the pivot hole?

toxophilus and Notchlubber like this.
  13. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

legit Military, pre current CQI

Notchlubber likes this.
  14. Notchlubber

Notchlubber

Jan 29, 2020
    Thanks guys and gals!

I just want to clarify a couple things so people don't get the wrong idea about me. The knife was bought last week, 4/19. Not a few weeks ago. I wasn't sitting on the knife. I also didn't say it was a fake. I said I thought it may not be a genuine and asked if I could have permission to disassemble and inspect it. I was given permission. I didn't want to jump to conclusions. By saying these things, I'm not saying the OP was trying to smear me, either. I'm just clarifying.

That being said, I'm glad the knife is real! I was, indeed, going off of YouTube vids on how to spot a fake. This because the scales felt so different to me and the overwhelming smell of the oil on/in it.

I apologise, Elly's Pa, for questioning it and any inconvenience that may have caused you.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

15. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    What’s a “Chinese smell”?

Jim

16. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Cheap axel grease. I've had an SKS since the 90s. If I sniff the crevices I can still smell the oil.

Notchlubber likes this.
  17. Notchlubber

Notchlubber

Jan 29, 2020
    Lots of cheap things I've had that were made in China have had a strong chemical-y smell, at least in their packages. It's hard to describe. I know for me, when I smell it, it's like my body is saying "don't get this in your lungs", "this will give you cancer", "this is toxic", etc.. I'm not alone in recognizing it, either. If you watch AvE on YouTube, you're bound to hear him speak of it.

18. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Thanks for the explanation, I understand now.

Jim

Notchlubber likes this.
  19. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    My Military (2009 Production) looks similar, but does not smell like Sesame Chicken...

20. YagyuShintoRyu

YagyuShintoRyu

Apr 15, 2020
    It IS fake: YOU make it REAL by sticking him with it. PRO TIP: make it REALER by asking him if it's "FAKE NOW, MOFO?!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.