Mini Southard - Who wants one?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by mantzao, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gpo1956

gpo1956

Jan 4, 2014
    I would buy one in a minute!!!!

2. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    A 3inch Southard would be fantastic. Stonewashed blade and black handle preferably.

3. jaxxsun

jaxxsun Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2013
    A click shorter is definitely more Sheepeple friendly��

4. 78LilRed

78LilRed

Dec 6, 2005
    Make it wharnie or tanto, with 3mm stock. Still need to hide some $$ in the sock drawer for the blacked out Southard this year.

5. KnifeyMcStab

KnifeyMcStab

Jan 15, 2014
    I know I want one!

6. redfeenix

redfeenix

May 12, 2011
    Some of the newbs here just love to whine and personally attack others, just stay on topic and make your posts.

That being said, I'm totally game for a sub 3" Southard, can't wait for Domino's baby brother

7. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I'd be all over that.

8. redfeenix

redfeenix

May 12, 2011
    I'd go with CF handle and satin finish

9. STR

STR Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Aug 27, 2004
    I agree. My hands say the handle of the Southard is smallish already so to make it smaller still is a no go for me. I do like the idea of a similar design using the Para 2 (original) concept of a shorter blade/longer handle hybrid small/lg. concept frame lock folder tho. I asked Sal years back to consider the idea (before Lion Steel I might add) and when I was already doing frame locks with a steel insert I also suggested to beef the contact for better wear on the compression lock and that I'd be into the idea of a insert contact Para Military frame locking compression lock using the same style insert that I was using for my frame locks. Spyderco was making the Ti ATR compression frame lock and I thought it was a good idea and still do. The idea of a snap in contact for the Para 2 as a frame lock can certainly be done but getting back to the Southard, if any adjustements were done to it I'd like to see them add the Lion Steel contact system to it personally.

STR

10. BladeCommander

BladeCommander

Nov 13, 2012
    Just announced was the Dice.
    A smaller version of the Domino.

I would think that the Southard (larger than the Domino) would warrant a mini version before the Domino did.
    I have seen a few complaints about the Southard being too large, but hardly any about the Domino being too large, it was barely over 3" in the first place.

I would have much preferred a mini-Southard before a mini-Domino.

11. Molle Ninja

Molle Ninja

Jul 15, 2013
    I'm not sure how custom knife designers are compensated when they license production runs from companies like Spyderco, but since the Domino and Dice were designed in-house I imagine it's a better financial decision and quicker to go with Dice before Southard. Of course, the extra $ of the Southard probably goes at least partially to royalties.

Either way, bring on the Southard mini! [Does Sal ever comment in these "wanted" threads?]

12. mantzao

mantzao

Jun 16, 2011
    Finally a 3" Southard!!
    [video=youtube;2xZM3slBT04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZM3slBT04[/video]
    not completely sold on this one but it's original :D

13. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    If it had a thinner blade and wasn't super high priced......yes. I think the current model has too thick of a blade.

14. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    I would just like them to refine the regular southard.

Better scales, actual clip (not last minute pocket clip), and even more quality materials for ball bearing washer? When I opened mine to clean I couldn't believe how cheap it looked inside.

15. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Also........how about a normal stop pin instead of the huge hole in the blade for the internal one? I never got why people want to hide the stop pin.

16. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    It's the price of the Southard - not the size - that has kept me away.

17. Molle Ninja

Molle Ninja

Jul 15, 2013
    He at least illustrates the reason why we're proposing that Spyderco make a smaller one. Kudos for his effort. I like it.

18. canuckchuck

canuckchuck

Jan 19, 2011
    its a a good size, so no would not like a smaller one

19. buendia518

buendia518

Jan 1, 2013

I agree, make the Southard handle any smaller and it won't be comfortable. Personally I'd like to see a more utilitarian 3 inch g-10 flipper that's all cutting edge and around $100.

20. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    I will throw my .02 in. I'm not a big guy - 5'9" - but do have fairly large hands. The Southard is almost too small for me. I sometimes have a hard time manipulating the flipper and cannot do it with gloves on. Great knife - love it and will always slip it into the EDC, but it does not kick out my favorites. Any smaller, I would have put it up on the exchange or given it away.