1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

mini-WIP Coffin Handle Bowie

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by rwn2000, Oct 1, 2013.

1. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    I've never posted a WIP before and I thought i would try a coffin handle bowie with frame handle construction. I started taking pictures once the blade was past the heat treat and tempering phase. The reason for that is that everything i know about profiling, grinding and hand sanding a blade was learned on this forum, nothing new to see. I do have a small import Mill/Drill machine. It is old and slow but it still beats a chainsaw file for slotting guards. I don't have any pics of the mill in action but here is a pic of it when i first got it:
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of the blade after tempering:
    [​IMG]
    I used a MAPP gas torch to draw back the spine and the tang down to the guard shoulder. the tang was heated twice and so was the spine in separate operations. You can also see that i milled 0.005+/- off each side of the tang before HT to make guard fitting easier.

[​IMG]
    Filing in the guard shoulders using a Bruce Bump file guide. The upper shoulder in the pic is there for a reason. I will explain later but it has to do with the frame handle.

[​IMG]
    Guard and ferrule piece fitted, cutting the tang slot in the handle frame. I'm leaving the handle frame rectangular and not cutting out the entire slot until it is fit to the ferrule so it will clamp into the mill vise more easily.

[​IMG] Hey, this might even work. I was so eager to see if the frame fit was correct, i didn't think about getting it apart again when i drove the frame tabs into the ferrule. the fit was so tight it took me 20 minutes to get it apart. I have since ground a little off of teh top of the tang so i can get a screwdriver in the gap to pry it apart. I need to tweak the frame/ferrule fit just a little and then it will be time for guard and ferrule shaping, drilling pin holes and fitting the brass liners.

A few notes: This is a small vest pocket bowie, 6 1/2" blade, 11 1/2" OAL out of 3/16"O-1. Probably brass liners. Handle material is still TBD. My shop is messy, i will never win a "Neatest, Most Organized Shop Award", ever. that's all for now, more tomorrow, probably.

thanks for looking

randy

2. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Randy,
    Nice start on the pocket bowie. I like this type of frame handle construction.
    Nice shot of the file guide too.

3. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    Thanks, Bruce. This is my first frame handle and I am trying to take my time and avoid any surprises. Today, I had a doctor appointment and had to do grocery shopping, so that limited shop time to about 90 minutes today.

[​IMG]
    I got the guard rough shaped and the blade hand sanded to 400 grit. The ferrule is at the right height to be even with the blade both top and bottom. In the pic, you can see the G10 patterns for the guard and ferrule, my flattened pipe for driving them on, slotted micarta piece to protect them and my 2 blade sanding blocks. I screwed up and fit the guard all the way before I finish sanded the blade. Now it is not as tight as it was. So I need to work on that some.

thanks for looking

randy

4. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    Not a lot of progress today. Finished hand sanding the blade to 800 grit. Tried to peen the guard to fit better and FUBAR'd it so had to back up and make a new one. That is all I got done today.

[​IMG]
    new guard fit, not perfect but okay.
    [​IMG]
    ferrule and frame fitment, pretty good.

5. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    More progress this weekend. I did not like the fit on the ferrule and frame so I made new ones yesterday. Everything is sandedto a 800 grit finish and the handle assembly is put together wth a dab of JB Weld to seal it. Everything was an interference fit and had to be driven together with a hammer so no clamps were needed.
    [​IMG]
    ready for assembly

[​IMG]
    Blade etched with my makers mark and handle assembled, liners rough cut, and sanded dead flat on a surface plate.

More later

randy

shqxk likes this.
  6. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for posting this.

7. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Sheep horn :D
    Good WIP

8. Barry Clodfelter

Barry Clodfelter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2007
    Looking great Randy! Can't wait to see it finished.

9. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Looking good.

10. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    Almost done, still need to sharpen and make a sheath. I decided to thin down the sheep horn scales where they were mostly smooth with just a little of the outer bark showing. 3/16th" O1, Frame handle, brass liners, 1/8" and 3/32" pins, stainless guard. Blade and guard sanded to 800 grit, handle sanded to 1500 and polished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    guard fit was pretty good for me. I did re do the guard to get a better fit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Man, this came out great. The brass liners give it a classic look.
    Cool Ruger single six too.

12. Barry Clodfelter

Barry Clodfelter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2007
    Love how it turned out!

13. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    thanks, guys.

Barry, I will have the sheath done before the Guild meeting in 2 weeks. I should have it with me there.

Bruce, close but not a Single-Six, packs a lot more punch than that. It is a Vaquero in .45LC. Still in the Ruger family though. :)

14. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    more sheep horn!
    Love the knife