Mod a Mora for EDC & Self Defense?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Toomanyquestions, Jan 22, 2021.

Do you EDC a fixed blade knife?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. I should

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. I wouldn't even consider it

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    OK , there's the second "only one" . :oops:> :p

GIRLYmann likes this.
  2. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    need to keep the excitement to a bare minimum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AgentSteel

AgentSteel

Mar 30, 2020
    Or this tactical mushroom knife

[​IMG]

A.L., Tongkang, GIRLYmann and 3 others like this.
  4. Toomanyquestions

Toomanyquestions

Mar 15, 2010
    ....that just looks like a giant deformed grill lighter to me :)

5. Toomanyquestions

Toomanyquestions

Mar 15, 2010
    (double post)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Toomanyquestions

Toomanyquestions

Mar 15, 2010
    Well, this thread has turned out to be quite entertaining. I think we have collectively established a few things :)

1) Life and death situations are kinda a big deal ;)
    2) Knives aren't ideal for life and death situations
    3) Mora's are not perfect
    4) Never bring a knife to a gun fight, and avoid large crowds unless you are strapped, with a frying pan
    5) On rare occasions knives can extract one from a bad situation - but it is wiser to legally carry a fire arm or learn self defense skills

As an aside, I have come close to using a knife to defend my person against an ill-tempered four-footed animal, and I am thus admittedly biased by my own experience.

Thank you for all the feedback!

(And let's just try to keep from cutting ourselves alright?)

jackknife likes this.
  7. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    Correct. I have had extensive knife fighting training. I would add that surprisingly, most people will end up cutting themselves. Had a class in Kukri fighting. A woman managed to cut herself and go to the hospital before the class started.

Real knife fights are over in seconds; not like in the movies. As someone wrote, a Mora can be shoe horned into a defensive role.

Chronovore likes this.
  8. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    More specifically, grievous injuries are sustained in seconds. An emotionally disturbed person, drugged up psycho, etc. swinging a knife around only need touch you with it to deliver a permanent scar or far worse.

On the other hand, stopping an attacker with your own knife can have a much higher barrier of effectiveness. You might literally have to kill them. If they also have a knife, some other dangerous implement, or just a vigorous enough attack that you'd be clearly justified in using a knife to defend yourself; you're still likely to be injured and possibly very badly in the process.

Part of grading defensive tools and why "carry a gun" responses are so common is the time it can take to conclusively end an attack. The time between being attacked and ending the attack can make a big difference in how much harm can be done to you.

jackknife likes this.
  9. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I have a Morakniv Eldris that I like. It has advantages. So, I wrote Morakniv and suggested that they make a 3" bladed pocket version. Fallkniven makes a fixed blade specifically designed to be carried in the pocket and I thought Mora could do a good job on this.

Toomanyquestions and jstrange like this.
  10. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Exactly what I thought. I hope they take your suggestion.

DocT likes this.
  11. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    That would be right up my alley as well.

DocT likes this.
  12. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I
    In 28 years as a LEO, more than half as a detective, the most common knife used in stabbing was a common kitchen knife. Saw the Buck 110 used a few times. But if a proper investigation is done at the scene under the self defense laws we worked under arrests were rarely made at the scene. You have a right to defend yourself.

13. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    This doesn’t surprise me one bit- Mora is more than sufficient for cutting someone. All this “carrying the right tool for the job” talk is kinda meaningless, because the job will almost never materialize. If it does, there’s little chance a knife is up to the task.

Toomanyquestions and jackknife like this.
  14. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I guess it is my generation, but to me a knife in a defensive situation can be a hinderance and should always be a last thought. If you end up killing someone, even in defense, with a knife you are going to be the bad guy in the minds of people, somehow. I still take Fairbairne's suggestion that if someone comes at you with a knife, don't stand and fight, but rather run and run fast if you can. He said you are going to get cut, no matter how well trained you are. So, to me, a pocket carried Mora would be for other things than defense and defense only if I have no other options.

15. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Self defense is self defense. The method isn't material, only having the justification for the force used.

16. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I guess my question is, in this year that its been 164 years since the invention of the self contained metallic cartridge, making small reliable handguns a reality, why use a knife for the defense of you or your loved ones?

Living in a country that has almost all the states issuing concealed carry license to any that is not a convicted felon, or under age, why would you not pay the nominal fee, have a background check, and get finger printed and then carry the most effective self defense weapon you can get?

Yeah, I know that this is a knife forum and we all love our blades. I couldn't get by without a knife. To clean and process the the fish I catch, working on the yard, opening packages. But when it comes to the ugly truth of ending an assault/robbery/car jacking, a knife ain't it. Leave the knife fighting to the Hollywood fantasy heroes who somehow never get cut. Okay, love the knives as a hobby/collection. But for defending yourself stay with reality. The bulk of criminals use a gun. The handgun is the most popular homicide weapon. Thinking that you can take on a criminal that odds are will have a gun, while you have whatever wonder knife is just self delusional.

Bastler and Henry Beige like this.
  17. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Or as a necker. This would be the WM1. Brilliant little knife.

DocT likes this.
  18. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Theres many choices,handgun is best,but if you live where you cant carry it....mora is good choice for money...as it is...very strong and capable in right hands.All moras are very good utility knives that can be used for any purpose...and best for money.

19. Dr Rez

Dr Rez

Jun 7, 2012
    The 53 hrc 1095.

20. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    definitely this. I’ve heard people suggest modding them and having them sent off for a proper heat treat.

Toomanyquestions likes this.