Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by CitizenQ, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Mikeymike

Mikeymike

Aug 17, 2012
    double post.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Ponsau

Ponsau

Dec 18, 2011
    Wow. Needalife. That is some amazing file work. Well done.

3. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23

Mar 1, 2011
    That's a TON of filing!!!

4. Poop Fungus

Poop Fungus Banned BANNED

Sep 13, 2012
    just a pipe hawk i removed the "pipe" from (needed a hammer, liked the way the frontier throws). but i've been messing around with these temper colors lately. pretty looking, pretty fun. some come out a nice "peacock" blue (higher temper tempurature than the brown/copper). from what i understand, blue would be "too soft" for a knife and about as soft as you'd wanna go on a hawk. and the brown/copper, being a little "harder" than blue. both being acceptable for a hawk. anyway, this finish wont hold up long to use but, its fun, and looks pretty (and i had to temper them anyway). they'd be easy to polish up/remove temper color coating when needed and just cold blue later or something. s'pretty while it last, get alot of different color "play" depending on light. be real nice for "collector pieces" that just hang on walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23

Mar 1, 2011
    I like that PF. . .I particularly like the wrap around the base of the blade and the nicely spaced wraps on the handle. . .

. . .got a link for this color temper stuff?

6. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    Nice work! Too bad the copper color won't hold up longer. I really like it.

Howard

7. Poop Fungus

Poop Fungus Banned BANNED

Sep 13, 2012
    nah, im sad to say, i think i learned more on wiki about tempering colors than i did here.
    i usually put some kind of wrap on most of my hawks (fake sinew/real leather i use alot), in case you need cordage for something.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23

Mar 1, 2011
    I must have misunderstood PF. . .I thought you were using a chemical treatment and heat to achieve the colors. . .I didn't realize you were just tempering the blade. . .

. . .I have color charts for the color and have color tempered a few knives for cosmetic reasons. . .thanks!

9. lukacsmihaly

lukacsmihaly

May 1, 2009
    Hi guys!
    Here's my humble contribution to this thread:

Sanded the haft down by hand with sandpaper 100, 120, 500 and 800 grit.
    Smoothed the inside of the eye with a diamond file (I really need to get me a Dremel :))
    I must have gotten the most unfortunate layout of the fibres in the haft since they are almost perpedicular on the head so I'm thinking of making another one.
    Covered the haft in a thick layer of flaxen oil and a thin layer of paint.
    I started to carve grooves in the handle.
    The paint stripping product I got didn't seem to work (not too much choice around here) so I removed the paint with a combination of sandpaper and elbowgrease.
    Sharpened the edge, of course, sandpaper, mousepad and leather strop.

Here's how it turned out so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I threw some CS hawks for the first time at the BeckerEast weekend a few weeks ago.
    Lots of fun!
    I like the spike hawk profile best, but don't like the actual spike.
    Has anyone cut the spike down to a 3/4" poll? That would be hawt.

-Daizee

11. MATT CHAOS

MATT CHAOS

Feb 5, 2012
    Wow! I have seen a lot of great looking hawks in this thread. I going to have to get one. I have been on the fence for a long time but I think I will make the plunge. Great looking mods in this thread!

12. nicholases

nicholases

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi everybody, I know this happens a lot but, having just found this thread and reading through the whole thing I decided to join the fun. This is also my first post, though I've been a lurker for a while, so I wanted to introduce myself. Name's Nick, I love sharp things, and this is my spike hawk.

http://imgur.com/a/P0nf0

13. 6shooter

6shooter

Sep 12, 2009
    Edit: whoopsies, wrong thread, that's what you get for having multiple BF windows open.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. finkius

finkius

Oct 22, 2012
    nicholases : Sick looking hawk! :D

I've been lurking for ages and finally decided to jump in and share what I've done with my CS trail and frontier hawks! For the TH I replaced the handle with a 14 inch one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a Svord Pigsticker btw.

Cheers!

15. pullrich

pullrich

May 4, 2010
    I like the shortened hafts, too. Well done!

16. JustAFleshWound

JustAFleshWound

Jan 10, 2012
    Like this, Daiz?
    [video=youtube;3oyf9vJ_-OA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyf9vJ_-OA[/video]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  17. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    exactly so!
    He did a good job with it, but I'm still not loving the poll shape.

18. kcatto

kcatto

Nov 7, 2005
    amazing

19. Native_Knives

Native_Knives

Nov 21, 2012
    Hey guys...So I stumbled upon this thread while looking for ideas for a tomahawk that I'm currently working on. I've customized my axe haft and I am next working on my blade, which I'm making out of 1/4" O2 Tool Steel, which will be embedded in the haft. After reading the first page of this thread I didn't stop and actually read all 100 pages in 2 days haha. I now have a CS Trail Hawk on its way and that will be my next project. Thanks everyone for the great ideas and designs. I'll be sure to post pictures of both projects. However, first I have to finish a tactical bowie that I told a friend that I would make for him first. But I am excited to expand upon my hobby. Keep posting pictures.

20. bigghoss

bigghoss

Jul 27, 2011
    Well here's my contribution. Ditched the set screw, worked on the handle fit a little, and took some 100 grit sandpaper to the shiny coating so it doesn't look so lame. Finally, sharpened it up. Might thin out the edge a little more but it's leaps and bounds better than the factory edge. I think I'm going to shorten the handle a little, I'm going to actually try it out before I do that though.
    [​IMG]

I already have plans to get a norse hawk and pipe hawk. Whichever of the three I like the most I'll get a couple extras of to keep in my trucks with the day packs I'm putting together for those spur-of-the-moment treks when I'm too far from home to go get properly prepared. (it's happened twice and once we actually got lost for a short bit)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012