1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by CitizenQ, Jun 28, 2007.

1. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    that is very cool. is that paint on the haft or inlay?

2. andrew_cc

andrew_cc

Jan 27, 2010
    Glad you like...

The markings on the haft have been engraved, penetrating deep enough so that the wood is lighter than the stain I made on the surface, ( the whole things was then beeswaxed....)

3. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    wow. great idea. keep em coming brother

4. safetyman

safetyman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CitizenQ

CitizenQ

May 5, 2006
    :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

6. imaginefj

imaginefj Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I took mine out and ran a heavy duty decking screw through it ground to the right length.

7. kurodrago

kurodrago Banned BANNED

Mar 22, 2007
    Blued finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Furync

Furync

Oct 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

I just stained the haft "gunstock" colored... turned out nice.

9. Gutshot

Gutshot

Mar 20, 2002
    I really dig that wrapping... looks awesome.

10. demoteamone

demoteamone Banned BANNED

Feb 21, 2006
    safetyman decorative point of view you hawk is ok but regarding functionality that wrapping is nonsense. After some serious chopp that wrapp will let you down:)
    [​IMG]

11. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    functionality isnt really the point regarding wraps on a hawk like this. on a through-the-haft hawk, yes its important even if you pin it. but on a eyed hawk its just for looks, and i would say his look pretty dang good.

12. Goose_52

Goose_52

Feb 8, 2009
    I havent modded my Trail Hawk yet, but here is my latest leather project. I do have to point out however that the blade mask is not my design, I based it off a sheath on another forum, although I cannot seem to find the thread for it right now. I treated the blade mask with neatsfoot oil, but I havent treated the holster yet. The neatsfoot oil did darken the blade mask a bit, still not sure if I want to do the same with the holster, or if I want to try hot-waxing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will have to get some action shots next time I am out. :D

13. CitizenQ

CitizenQ

May 5, 2006
    That is sweet! Great work.

14. JNieporte

JNieporte

Nov 1, 2004
    After donating my other Trail Hawk to Joezilla, I got another one.

With some friends (third one down)...
    [​IMG]

A little wood filler (before cord wrapping) really keeps the head on...
    [​IMG]

A woodburning pen gives it a neat touch...
    [​IMG]

In hand...
    [​IMG]

A cheap axe sheath works very well for the Trail Hawk...
    [​IMG]

I likes me some tomahawks...
    [​IMG]

Whereas my kid is impartial to Wetterlings'...
    [​IMG]

15. andrew_cc

andrew_cc

Jan 27, 2010
    Finally managed to escape the city and head out to the countryside with a mate from back in my school days who I often used to go camping with, thanks to your help with fitting the head on that tomahawk, it held true and strong for the whole weekend. Heres a picture for y'all. ( Dont worry, my fires arent normally that massive, the huge pieces of wood were put there to create a cooking platform for the pans etc, I wasnt sure it would work to be honest, but it did the job nicely, and the food certainly came out fine)

Now all I need is a sheath....... more man time to look forward to in the basement whilst I make that :)

[​IMG]

16. A Visitor

A Visitor

Jan 19, 2009
    First Trail Hawk , reforged the poll into a spike. Profiled the cutting edge less rounded. Welded in the screw hole. Thinned the handle until it felt comfortable. These pictures were taken after heat treating. Cleaned it up and did a forced patina using cold blue and bleach. Don't have any pictures of the finished item... got shook down by a friend for the hawk shortly after it was done lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  17. JNieporte

JNieporte

Nov 1, 2004
    I like. I want :thumbup:

18. JNieporte

JNieporte

Nov 1, 2004
    The first one is a simple United Cutlery Vietnam Tomahawk. I drilled a lanyard hole and added a wrist thong, then cord-wrapped the usable portion of the handle.
    [​IMG]

Then I convexed the edge and gave it a scalloped underside...
    [​IMG]

The spike was resharpened and given a swedge...
    [​IMG]

My Cold Steel War Hammer was up next. I filed out a nice diamond shape into the head for better zombie-busting ability...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spike was ground further back and then dulled a tiny bit to aid in retention, although sacrificing as tiny bit in pointiness...
    [​IMG]

I made some Norse Hawks for a customer who wanted a zombie motif. I started by removing about 70% of the black surface and filing it smooth with sandpaper. The inside of the eye was then smoothed out and the entire thing was wiped down with rubbing alcohol. After mustard-dyeing the outside, it went into the oven at 200 degrees for 23 minutes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As this is a zombie motif, I gave it some woodburning etches...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JNieporte

JNieporte

Nov 1, 2004
    It looks nice, but it's missing something to be a zombie tool while still letting the customer have it as a Norse Hawk. This will do it...
    [​IMG]
    The knife is a 1917 trench knife, regarded by the author of the book shown as the best anti-zombie knife ever made.

Then I get to do more traditional, yet modern versions of the Trail Hawk. This one has been convexed, wrapped, drilled, and burned with the wood pen again...
    [​IMG]
    The knife is an Old Hickory 7" Butcher Knife that I made into a Nessmuck-style shape and reshaped the handle.

Personally, I like the tactical / practical feel while still having old-time looks. So this one is great for me...
    [​IMG]
    The knife is a Buck Short Nighthawk.

This one is a Trail Hawk. Head stripped and repainted with some Teflon underneath it to give it that pattern, mustard-coated, and then thrown in the oven at 200 degrees for 23 minutes. It was then sanded lightly and convexed. You see that I also sharpened the underside, much like a Vietnam tomahawk would be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handle is 26" long (a spare War Hammer handle, cut down) and was oiled. Then it was wrapped in black baseball bat tape. Then it had a layer of epoxy dried onto it. Then wrapped as shown.

Here it is next to my modded War Hammer for size reference...
    [​IMG]

The whole family...
    [​IMG]

20. CitizenQ

CitizenQ

May 5, 2006
    Here's a 24/7 trunk kit for you fellas to look at...

[​IMG]