1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

MORAKNIV ELDRIS - Review

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Frozen Bear Trading, May 24, 2019.

1. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran into the company after seeing it in a picture taged #gransforsbruks on Instagram. I fell in love with this little guy. Here is my personal review and pics :

This MORAKNIV ELDRIS is what I wanted for alot of things and carving. But the back spin is sharp. The edges are square and sharp on the back of the knife so when you put your thumb on it , it sucks. This would be a 10/10 if they would have fit and finish better. Im gonna have to mill it down a little.

That said is this designed for carving? Not really. Did I buy it for that? Yes , there are some specific uses for just this knife for ME

That said I got this for under 30 bucks from a website shipped. So I dont except perfection, but they could have finished it way better it would take no time

THANKS

2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Looks like you got "shorted" ! :rolleyes:;)

Frozen Bear Trading likes this.
  3. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    They have several lengths in this style. But when I'm whittling I have many uses for thisn

DocJD likes this.
  4. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    Isn't the spine given the 90* treatment for scraping bark and a fire steel?

7east, marcinek, Practicoolio and 2 others like this.
  5. Frozen Bear Trading

Feb 22, 2019
    That maybe the case. I dont know anything about these. I have plenty of fire steel that you could use any steel to light.

6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Not poor finish - a deliberate execution of a design. A sharp spine is de rigueur for a "bushcraft" knife.

But I take your point. A bushcraft spine is Hell on the thumb. That's why they invented knife-sharpening tools - to remove steel.

marcinek and Frozen Bear Trading like this.
  7. brj

brj

May 18, 2005
    Nifty little knives, I use mine all the time. Great heat treat on the 12C27 as well.

[​IMG]

Frozen Bear Trading likes this.
  8. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I guess the Eldris is inexpensive enough to justify getting one and experimenting with, huh? I was turned off by the smaller blade, would it be a good size to accomplish small tasks and still useful in the kitchen? Anyone use one for food prep?

7east and Frozen Bear Trading like this.
  9. Frozen Bear Trading

Feb 22, 2019
    I carve spoons and I like to use them to shape the part where the handle meets the spoon

10. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    The Eldris looks interesting to me.
    I have probably 10 different Moras already so I have yet to pick up one.

For wood carving I like the short Mora Frost knife with wood handle.
    I have had it for over 20 years and it is a champ.
    Not sure but I think the blade may be laminated.

11. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    How thick/thin is the Eldris blade? I really love my Mora 510 but I like the longer blade.

Zieg

12. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Yes, it is. It is not is a "fit and finish" issue, as the reviewer claims.

Webscrounger likes this.
  13. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Ones with rounded spines?

14. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    Looks like you got "shorted" ! :rolleyes:;)

15. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Solely for carving it should work. For stout short blade used in a box cutter fashion (tape, cardboard, packages, clamshels, etc.) I guess it lacks handle length to get a full grip and it would get expensive to replace. For food prep is a no go due to the short blade (in my opinion. Sorry but I don't get it. I can't find any situation where a knife like the Eldris could come handy.

Mikel

16. Frozen Bear Trading

Feb 22, 2019
    It's nice to have a fixed blade in your pocket to

17. 7east

7east Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I just picked one up specifically for doing mostly yard work. Cutting plastic pots off plants, opening bags of rocks/mulch, etc.

cbach8tw likes this.
  18. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Looks like just a quick cutting blade, handynto have a round.