More Tanto Inspiration

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Deweyknives, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Deweyknives

Deweyknives

Nov 29, 2006
    I've always appreciated all kinds of edged weapons, some styles more than others. The Japanese influence has been about the middle of that interest. For some reason, a Tanto-style piece kept creeping into my thoughts. So, I had to............:)

This has been on the bench, patiently waiting for its return to my full attention. This is in no way traditional, nor is it intended to be, just some thoughts that progressed into what you see here. I figured if I show it, I'll be inspired to finish it up.

Have a look and feel free to share your thoughts & opinions!

O-1 & Bloodwood

Attached Files:

2. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Very nice.
    The knife would suit me more if it had a traditional tsuka.

3. Deweyknives

Deweyknives

Nov 29, 2006
    Thank you, Lycosa. A tsuka would be a copper shield around the ricasso area? As I just do 'my own thing', I did'nt research the proper parts and names for a traditional piece, so please correct me if I'm wrong. If I do another after this one, maybe I'll go a little more traditional. This one is all about trying something different and challenging.

First wood sheath also.[traditionaly,a saya?] It'll be leather lined and fitted for 'friction retention'. [tight enough to not fall out]

A few more recent pics of the filework I started.

Thanks for looking..............

Attached Files:

4. stabber

stabber

Dec 6, 2004
    Looks great:thumbup:

5. Deweyknives

Deweyknives

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks again, Lycosa. It's amazing what a minute of research turns up.:eek::) I was just talking about traditional wraps with a buddy. Maybe next one.

I still learn with every knife I make.:thumbup:

6. Deweyknives

Deweyknives

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks Stabber. I hope to get over to IG's again soon. May run into you there some time.

7. indian george

indian george

Feb 15, 1999
    Hey Lil Bubba!!! Your getting really good at this game.:cool::thumbup:;)