1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Most indestructible pocket folder?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ZTFan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade Knives, Big Brown Bear

Mar 22, 2014
  2. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I looked long and hard at the immortal I just wish it wasn't a tanto. Oh well, I'll still probably get one eventually. Quite a few decent offerings this year from CS.

3. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Just from folders I own and have used + weak point of the knife:
    Benchmade Adamas - corrosion resistance
    Strider SMF - lock
    Cold steel recon 1- blade stock/ thickness
    Spyderco Tuff - Lock
    ZT 200 - lock

4. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Check these out:

[video=youtube;vVWkE3OsSqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVWkE3OsSqs[/video]

[video=youtube;_1JyaTXdA1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JyaTXdA1I[/video]

Fred Perrin said the only bad thing about Triad lock is that he didn't design it.

5. dwdickey

dwdickey

Feb 14, 2014
    BM Adams or maybe something by Medford.

6. NotSoSharpBob

NotSoSharpBob

Mar 26, 2009
    OP mentioned snow, water and mud. Gloves or wet hands make some locks much harder to operate even if they may be the best lock up.

7. alaus

alaus

Nov 11, 2007
    a little bit of saltwater will hurt the most expensive folders.

8. Derzelas

Derzelas

Nov 23, 2015
    Victorinox Hunter Pro. Low maintenance while fishing - things drop in mud sometimes and wet or even snow is not a problem. It solves the "using the gloves" issue - blade has enough meat outside the scales to open it with 2 hands. Lockback works as good with empty, wet or gloved hands. If you don't want to use (open and close) it with two hands, get a fix blade

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    The "Bunker Buster", a custom version of the Cold Steel Ak-47, as rendered by Andrew Demko.

I love the implicit meta in that.

At any rate, IIRC, the blade was .25 thick, and the rest of it was similarly proportioned. About a %75 up-sizing of the Bunker Buster.

I can't find any pictures anymore. I know somebody here owned it. And, I know I've forgotten all the important details. But, yeah, that would be my choice.

At least, until something even crazier comes along. :rolleyes:

10. lj973gm

lj973gm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2016
    TSF Beast

11. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Aaaaaand now I want a folding Halligan Bar.

12. Goosey

Goosey

Mar 19, 2012

[​IMG]

13. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    just get a fixed blade.

14. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I like my Umnumzaan for rough duty. It is a great folder. I have had several BM 275 Adamas...a superb heavy-duty capable folder.
    A new one for me is this Bradford G3F (flipper). I've had four of his Guardian3 fixed blades and they are great...offered in M390 and CPM-3V. So I was anxious to check this one out. It's one tough baby. The blade is 3.2" length of 0.160" M390 and the scales are 0.160" titanium slabs. Total grip thickness is 0.510". Grip (closed length 4.5") fits my size large hand. Here are two pics as this is a new knife in his lineup. I think this one may become one of my favorite folders very soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  15. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Wait the Cold Steel beat the RAO with the extra pin that comes attatched as a fob installed? No friggin way!

Not saying I don't believe it but that's pretty damn impressive if that was true.

16. apg

apg

Jan 8, 2017
    I don't know, always thought my Spartan Nymph is a pretty tough little guy, especially because it has so few moving parts that can malfunction for one reason or another. and it looks good 2 : ).

17. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes it did. Just search "4 Max vs RAO" on youtube and you'll see it. Basically the entire locking mechanism of the RAO just sheared off the AL handle at 700+lb while the 4 Max did 800+lb without failing.

18. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Of all those I own, this one for the "element/environment" resistance

[​IMG]

And this one for plain brute strength, thickness, prying and stabbing ability and lock strength

[​IMG]

19. Emre

Emre

Nov 15, 2006
    These kinds of tests always crack me up. Because, you know, my grip strength is enough to hang onto 800 lbs. If a knife lock fails at "just" 700 lbs, then I know it's not strong enough for me! If I can't hang 4 times my body weight off the lock, then I'm out.

Full disclosure: I generally use my folding knives to jack up the front of my car when I'm changing a tire.

20. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Emre, pls dont ruin the discussion with facts.

Besides a discussion about an 'indestructible' folder is an oxymoron - if you want strong, go fixed.

But since the OP asks for indestructible folder, Im go with a MISSION folder.

Certainly covers point #1 being titanium and this impervious to the elements - heck, impervious to pretty much everything with titanium being amongst other properties very ductile.

#2 also covered.

#4 covered re corrosion resistance...and that with a vengeance!

#5 length is relative (at least my GF tries to convince me it is so). The Mission folder is short as compared to some other folders.

#6 All components of the Mission folder are of very high quality.