1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Mother's Day Fixings

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, May 10, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    First off I want to wish all our Mothers who's men spend too much time in this Buck Forum a
    Happy Mother's Day. I'm showing what preparations are going on here leading up to her Day.
    I hope some of you will have friends or family coming to show their appreciation for Mom.
    Mine is a great one and our kids are coming to spend it with us. And they'll expect something to
    eat so, I'm working on that. Here is a whole brisket I've thawed out, ready to marinade. I'll half and grill for her. There are 2 cuts in a whole brisket, the point which runs from the edge of this Empress 9"
    carver up. Then the flat cut starts at the spine and runs the other way. This is the better cut. Once cooked slices should start
    across the grain of the meat fibers at the spine of the Empress 6" boning blade. Otherwise the meat will be chewy even when well cooked. Have a great Mother's Day. DM
    brisketWhole.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    need help with the leftovers..let me know?:)

3. STEELHEADBULLY

STEELHEADBULLY Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Looks good!! I was requested to do Mexican for my mom. She is coming over with her boyfriend(dad passed about 10 years ago) and also my sister and her fiance will be coming over also. Chicken and flank steak will be grilled. I will also give my mom her new Buck cutlery, chef, slicer, paring and 2 x steak knives. Hope she likes them!!! They just arrived yesterday.

sassafrassdogs3 and jbmonkey like this.
  4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Steel, your a good son for her. Thank you, DM

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    bucksway and STEELHEADBULLY like this.
  5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    You can see in the photo that the 9" Empress carver is a little shy of the width of this brisket. A large one at 16.65 lbs.. This is why meat cutters like a 10" blade. Also, I don't trim my brisket. I paid for it all and I'll use it. The juices go into the meat for flavor and after cooking I'll give the fat to the dogs. Right now, here round and chuck is a cheaper cut but it does not taste like brisket. Plus, those can easily become dry during cooking. Happy cooking outdoors. DM

6. gsea

gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    I will be going out with my wife and son as I have a gift certificate for a nice Italian restaurant. My mom is two states away and I work weekend mornings ( can't be a total bum). But rest assure David a 317 will be with me to cut my veal parm :)

STEELHEADBULLY and David Martin like this.
  7. gsea

gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    Yes Chuck is not for grilling too many other choices. Chuck for me =Slow cook stew I'm hungry

David Martin likes this.
  8. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks gsea. That sentence was toward a discriminating shopper. Here one can find bottom round for 2.99/ lb. but whole brisket runs 4.59 /lb.. Thus, they will buy the round for more value. Plus, brisket will have more waste. Don't make this mistake as they don't taste the same. If you're cooking for Mother or Mother in law get a flat cut portion of brisket or if she wants steak get Chuck eye. A poor mans ribeye at half the cost. That's the way I did these affairs and they thought I was a wonderful son in law. :) DM

9. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, it's been in marinade all yesterday. It will go on the charcoals this morning. DM

honestlyinsane and jbmonkey like this.
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here is the finished product. She cooked baked potatoes, steamed mixed vegetables, homemade bread and dessert was chocolate chip & pecan cookies. I washed it down with some of our home roasted- fresh ground coffee (we buy green beans). The Empress 9'' carver made
    easy work with slicing the brisket. It made me look good and gave eye appeal to the table fare. Hope you gents are cooking her up something special. DM
    brisketWholeII.jpg

11. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    sounds like it all came together nicely, Sir. sure looks goods. still need help eating them leftovers let me know.....:)

12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Sure jb if you can make it here by tomorrow. We enjoyed every bite. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  13. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Looks great Dave, what did you marinade it in?

14. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    McCorimick's Montreal steak seasoning mixed in olive oil. Placed in a large zipp-loc bag, sealed and shaken from Friday morning to Saturday morning. Turning once during that time. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Last night I went ahead and sliced all this brisket using the Empress 9" and trimmed some fat. Placed this in 2 Tupperware bowls in the frig. One for us humans the other for dogs. This carver worked great making ribbons of meat. Now she can easily prepare a meal today
    by just forking out the portions needed for each plate then heat and serve. Have a good time today with mom, guys. DM

Tecate and jbmonkey like this.
  16. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Them dog's will be in high heaven with them trim'ns

Tecate likes this.
  17. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I debated on where to put this information, then just put it here. Should you have a Empress Trio set you would improve the performance
    of them if you shaved down the thick edge and the shoulder of the flats. This can be done by laying the knife flat on a stone and using a
    back and forth motion, to take some metal off. I did this on a Norton India stone at 350 grit. It will leave it a little frosty looking and I may take it finer which would blend in better on the metal. This really takes the cutting penetration performance up a good step. These knives were made with the old school of thought and left with a thick grind. DM
    EmpressTrio3.jpg EmpressTrio4.jpg

Mhead, jbmonkey and skyhorse like this.
  18. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    st8yd, yes sir, it will. Once they taste it they will do anything to get them. I use this treat to train them on. DM

19. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2006
    David ,I am liking those two Knives.The Brisket looks yummy. Do you have a pit to smoke in it?

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    No. I use a grill that has a lid. Thanks, Hawk. DM