Mourning a Fallen Grail

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by jaz322, May 23, 2020.

1. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    BLUF: A Fiddleback grail knife has fallen — but it’s memory will last through a historical knife review. No action requested.

I had a mishap with a knife sale/shipment this week....The blade was a cpm154 gaucho that @Comprehensivist wrote an outstanding review on! I had no intention of ever selling this knife but I recently sold two runts to a person that is new to the brand. One of them was a custom shop blade with scales added by a third-party and the other one was an old school model that was not like the newer ones. I didn’t think they measured up to current Fiddleback standards and I wanted the buyer to see how great Andy’s knives can be. So I sent him a pdf of Comprehensivist‘s review and sold him the gaucho on the condition that I would have first rights if he ever decided not to keep it.

Turns out the blade never made it to him and USPS tells him all packages on the delivery unit were destroyed due to a fire. Unfortunately I didn’t get insurance (never do, and still way ahead financially) and don’t have the receipt either ! But that’s really not the point — I’m making things right for the buyer.

Wanted to give props one more time for the best blade review I can recall....and mourn with my fellow fiddleheads over the loss of a fallen grail. RIP.

Gaucho Review by Comprehensivist 04/10/15

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1279526-Fiddleback-Gaucho-Review

This was the last photo taken of it. Comprehensivist had put a wicked edge on that blade, literally.

A2D7D85B-E118-4D66-A35C-E194F966907D.jpeg

2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Oh nooooooo

3. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    The post office works in mysterious ways, so I wouldn't count it out quite yet.

Fiddleback likes this.
  4. jaz322

Feb 1, 2015
    Wow, interesting Swo. Maybe there is hope?!

Fiddleback likes this.
  5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    This is a sad tale :(

Fiddleback likes this.
  6. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    99340B5A-74F0-4609-B7A3-65C75F2D9DE1.jpeg
    As a Lover of the Gaucho design and it’s functionality for my needs, I share your pain! I own a Gaucho from that same era, in CPM154 in blue dyed palmwood. I was lucky to acquire it a few years ago from another notorious Phillip and compadre of @Comprehensivist @M4Super90 . I mourn this loss

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Dammmmmmmmit

Sorry to hear that

Choppaman likes this.
  8. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Flat out sucks to lose such a good looking knife.

9. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    So I guess you’re starting your own modification business like me. Flame finish?

Ak Stig, varga49 and NOLA like this.
  10. Houlahound

Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    Would not be surprised if the knife is recoverable albeit fire damaged.

varga49 likes this.
  11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Ok f they return it damaged, let me have a shot at fixing it.

Kismet, mqqn, varga49 and 1 other person like this.
  12. JRTufts

JRTufts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Sorry to see that happen to such a nice blade. :(

varga49 likes this.
  13. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I'm sure it didn't make the tip more brittle and weaker than you do.

varga49 likes this.
  14. jaz322

Feb 1, 2015
    Andy,
    Thank you for the kind offer - that would have been really cool. I finally got a warm body on the phone at USPS, who in turn asked their supervisor if I could salvage anything from the package and they confirmed all was lost in a transport fire in Champaign, IL. They at least gave me a $50 check for the standard insurance that comes with every priority package. I provided a full refund to the buyer.

I suspected you would offer up a way to help, Andy. Because that’s what you do. But as it says in the original post — no action requested — just sharing an event that happened to an epic knife that will be remembered through the annals of this forum.

Fiddleback, Kismet, Choppaman and 2 others like this.
  15. varga49

May 1, 2016
    @jazz322 definitely feel for you. Any Grail knife lost is irreplaceable. That said, as I mentioned in an earlier post I have a Gaucho from that production time In CPM 154 see pictures. As much as I love the Gaucho’ [and Shanks] I’d be willing to sell this one to you for what I bought it for. Let me know if you’re interested!

Kismet and Choppaman like this.
  16. jaz322

Feb 1, 2015
  17. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    What a great group of people.

varga49 likes this.
  18. Southern Gent

Southern Gent KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2015
    That's horrible Jason! At best the knife will turn up and we'll all celebrate the return of a lost treasure. At worst, your good karma will be repaid twofold at the next Trackrock.

jaz322, Nbrackett and varga49 like this.
  19. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm going to burn one of Allen's knives in a ceremony of remembrance and respect for your loss.

jaz322, varga49, Cohutta and 3 others like this.
  20. varga49

May 1, 2016
    :confused::p:p:cool: