Mr. Glesser, are you listening?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Calier, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Calier

Calier Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2020
    Dear Mr. Glesser,
    I am relatively new to the knife world, but have already owned the following Spyderco knives: Dragonfly, Delica, Para 3, Para 3 LW, and Chaparral. I am currently thinking of purchasing a Sage 5. You make amazing knives at what I consider to be reasonable prices. I know that you can't make everyone happy, especially not us here on the forums, we are a weird bunch--opinionated, nit-picky, maybe a little obsessed with knives. I do not, however, understand why Spyderco does not support their loyal customer base with the option to purchase deep carry clips directly from Spyderco.

I got into this hobby a Benchmade customer. Now...both BM and Spyderco have their pluses & minuses, I know where my preferences lie (currently own only 1 BM knife). In my opinion, both BM and Spyderco are very impressive companies with great products and outstanding customer service. With that said, one thing I have observed BM do, that Spyderco still resists, is to provide low cost deep carry pocket clips for their knives. Regarding the Para 3 for instance, I am sure you have heard all of the complaints about clip placement and how high the knife rides. You cannot please every PM3 owner, but why not sell a deep carry clip for $5 - $10 like BM does for their knives? It is a bit frustrating to have to shell out $25 - $30 for a quality aftermarket clip after having spent $100+ on a new knife. Mr. Glesser, I ask you with all due respect: What gives? Is it really that difficult to produce deep carry clips? We are willing to pay for them. I'm confused as to why this constant complaint from Spyderco customers has been unmet. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I would have more cash to spend on additional Spyderco knives if I knew that I could quickly and cheaply acquire adequate deep carry clips for them. Sincerely, a big time Spyderco fan.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    insta9ves and Neil3 like this.
  2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    He has been listening and he has answered this question.

3. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Yeah it's tough for someone to sell something they don't make.

Not a fan of these myself since I like to be able to get my knife out of my pocket. So no great loss.

4. winnerone23

winnerone23 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    This seems to be one of those.. sharpening choil, type of things..

Where it's easier for the end user, to put one in... If wanted.. I prefer not.

A deep carry clip can be bought and added..
    Some models, I don't want deep carry..
    Other models, I want deep carry, but don't want it DEEP carry..
    MXG makes both options(Lynch.. might, as well?).. Not so deep, deep carry and DEEP carry..

I personally have sold off any knife that buries in my pocket, so far, I can't retrieve it quickly and efficiently.

Since the OP mentioned the Sage 5.. An Excellent knife! Can't wait for it to come in a different blade steel!! (Hopefully following the Sage 1 and Maxamet)
    I find it's fairly easy to mod and make a model take a wire clip. The perfect amount of deep carry and an Awesome clip!

The best parts of Spyderco.. Sal listens and the endless options of modifying! So on and so on!

FortyTwoBlades, woodysone and Calier like this.
  5. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Calier,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the support. Actually it's a legitimate question and my answer has always been that we didn't want to hurt the aftermarket makers. However, Eric has been talking about finding a way to offer them. Maybe carry some of the aftermarket clips and maybe make some of our own. In fact, I have stack of drawings and SLA's for deep pocket clips sitting on my table as I write to you. You'll have to be patient as we're quite busy of late, but I am listening and we are trending in that direction, albeit slowly and carefully.

sal

Lee D, TheFactor, DMG and 18 others like this.
  6. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    I think Spyderco knives are fine with the clips they come with. If I really want to customize my knife with a deep clip, I'm not too cheap to shell out whatever the aftermarket cost of one is. It comes with the hobby.

7. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Yeah, the Para 3's factory pocket clip placement is very poorly thought out. I'm going to have to buy an aftermarket clip, so there is another $25 on top of a $150 knife.
    Edit: Love my Para 3 though. Definitely my favorite Spyderco so far.

Love the knife and love this company. Thanks Mr. Sal for listening to your loyal customers and interacting with us!

woodysone likes this.
  8. Calier

May 24, 2020
    I appreciate your reply and find your concern for the aftermarket providers admirable. Thank you for taking the time to respond. :)

DMG likes this.
  9. Calier

May 24, 2020
    I'm huge fan of their knives and their deep carry wire clips. The traditional spoon clips on the Delica and some other models I like okay too, when they're black and not flashy. I don't live in a place were it is common to see people carrying knives, so if the knife carries high it can be awkward and attention grabbing. My feeling is that guys like Casey Lynch and MXG Gear (whoever owns them) have enough of a customer base that they likely wouldn't be hurt by Spyderco selling less premium deep carry clips to "cheap" guys like me. I dunno, I bet Casey and MXG make most of their money from repeat customers like you who don't feel that $25 for a clip is too much. They prob wouldn't miss my one time purchase very much. On the other hand, I'd be more likely to buy more kinda and clips from Spyderco. And maybe Spyderco can offer sprints with Lynch clips on them? Win-win-win. ;)

10. P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Feb 17, 2021
    If Mr. Glesser wouldn't mind entertaining another question I'm curious about their ceramic products. You have lots of files and such but I see no 'steeling' rods, something for kitchen use. Has spyderco made them in the past or ever considered them in their lineup? Always thought a round ultra fine 16" with a good handle would be great in the kitchen.

11. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi P_A_S_1,

Welcome to our forum.

It's been discussed. there are many out there at very low prices. We would more than likely do a "cat's eye" shape rather than round. I've designed a vey hard steel triangle for the Sharpmaker but haven't moved on it.

sal

12. Bryan J

Bryan J Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I love the standard Spyderco spring clips and the fact that so many models allow for tip down carry.

13. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    In the last few years of living the Knife Life (buying, selling, and trading knives) I have learned that Spyderco really does listen to it's customers (much more than most manufacturers) and implements things as they can or see fit. It's not always on the timeline I'd prefer but it happens. They're offering a ton to the consumer - high end steels with good heat treats for a pretty fair price.

The k390 Police 4 in my pocket is a testament to how great Spyderco is.

trevitrace, Calier and woodysone like this.
  14. Calier

May 24, 2020
    I am learning that about Spyderco the longer I am in this hobby, it seems that they are very customer focused. When I first entered this hobby, I did not quite understand why spyderco knives are so popular. A few years in I totally get it and it is my preferred knife. I have been bitten by the spider and there's no going back. :)

15. P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Feb 17, 2021
    Interesting, an oval or flatter like a balkan steel, good luck and thanks.