My 1st vintage purchase

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by David Nowlin, Oct 1, 2020.

1. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I am over the moon. When i started looking into this option i started researching and the possibilities are seemingly endless. this is what i call my first.
    upload_2020-10-1_15-49-59.jpeg
    The bottom one. A C33PSBK and it’s brand new?

2. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    upload_2020-10-1_15-53-6.jpeg
    Curious about the number on the blade? (075) is this a remake of a Pro Grip? Or do i have something special here. More special then it already is?

nephron likes this.
  3. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    upload_2020-10-1_15-58-48.jpeg

nephron likes this.
  4. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Should be a "Collector Club" number.

It's limited to 200 of each release BUT just because the knife was a low number doesn't mean anything because (unless they've changed things recently) you can select any number that's available at the time you join the club.

When I 1st inquired about joining the club, about 1/2 (100) of the numbers were available and I could have selected a # in the single digits. So, all it means is that the knife is among the 1st 200 (but not necessarily 200) of the knives produced but I'm not sure if they are actually, in fact, the 1st knives of a particular model to be produced; just the 1st 200 (max) of the #'d Collector Club knives.

The reason I decided NOT to join the club was because you are obligated to buy EVERY knife produced/released in the membership category that you sign up for and, as RamZar can tell you, that's A LOT of knives AND you have to buy them from a licensed Spyderco dealer at full MSRP (less whatever the standard discount is) which is more than I'd have to pay as a OpFocus member and there's no way that I'd want to buy EVERY knife issued, let alone 10/yr that OpFocus members are now limited to, which is why you see so many people who are Collector Club members trying to flip the knives they don't want, here and elsewhere, after they are released.

nephron likes this.
  5. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    upload_2020-10-1_16-9-53.jpeg

nephron likes this.
  6. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    So this is not an old vintage knife but a reproduction of one?
    Doesn’t the blade shape resemble a Stretch?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    nephron likes this.
  7. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi David,

Nice finds. The C33 was part of the Stretch lineage. The first one was the "Hunter" in 1983. I guess we went through 10+ models to get to where the Stretch is now.

sal

skyhorse likes this.
  8. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Wow that’s good to know. The Delica is the knife I carried the last 8-10 years of my 28 year career when my company said no knives. At that point the buck 110 got retired and went in the drawer and my new Delica began serving me well a constant companion in all my cutting chores.
    I retired in 2017 so the Delica is only maybe 10 years old. Just used it as a prop for size comparison. Such a professional i am lol

nephron likes this.
  9. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    It is vintage. The G2 steel was standard from about 1991 to 1999. The integrated pocket clip is early 90s.
    I have many G2 models. I think it is a Great a$$ steel. Sals words. :D

nephron likes this.
  10. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Cool thanks. Can’t believe it is new in box after all these years. Until you try to open it. Really stiff. And gritty when knife is opened at 45 degrees for a few mm’s. It does not look dirty at all. This is brand new but sitting closed all those years gotta do something.
    What to so? Oil? Hot soapy water hair dryer and oil?

nephron likes this.
  11. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Just oil and a lot of opening. Knives weren't glassy smooth back then. LOL

nephron likes this.
  12. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Oh good thanks. I don’t plan on cutting anything with this knife. I bought it because i wanted an example of the early years of this great company. Plus i have so many cutters/users in my inventory that it would be silly to use it.
    Oh and no spyde flick with this one but I can’t do it with my Delica either.

nephron and 5-by-5 like this.
  13. Joe58

Joe58 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 11, 2002
    I’ve been around Spyderco since the beginning with the stainless Worker, Standard, and the Pro Grip/Pro Hunter. Great old models. I did like them better when they went to screw on clips I’ll admit. It’s hard to believe how far they’ve come since then. I still carry one on occasion. Guy I knew sold them out of his car at various shooting matches. Nobody had seen such creations. Lol.

I even have a few NIB ones stashed away that I picked up as they were discontinued. :)

nephron and 5-by-5 like this.
  14. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Sweet find!

15. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Thanks I have been wondering about that for a while.