1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My battle axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Meat_Hammer, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Meat_Hammer

Meat_Hammer

Jul 23, 2010
    I just finished my first battle axe, I call it "TALON". It is made out of carbon steel finished with gun blue. The handle is wrapped it black leather with copper braded wire. What do y'all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    wow. how much time did that take? tons of angles to take into account. very well done.

3. Meat_Hammer

Meat_Hammer

Jul 23, 2010
    Time? Hahaha..I didn't keep track, it did take some time.

It all started at work. A friend and I were talking about battle axes, I started doodleing one and Talon just came about. The steel my Dad donated it, so I don't know what type of carbon steel it is, it's .25" thick. It was laying in a corner of the garage for years. I wanted to remove the rust but keep the pitting. I used Rust Cure (phospheric acid), once the black oxide was present. Then used "flingging wires of death" on a grinder to reviel the pits. Measured out my design, then started cutting with the plasma cutter. I only ground down the edges, I didn't want to upset the pits. It looks heavy, but not too bad, I don't own a scale. The only heat treatment was done by tools..hahaha. I wanted to give the finish a feeling of some exotic metal from here or else where. I blued it 6 times.

I have to tell ya, it's balanced very nice for it's size/wieght and every major points are sharp. Better be aware and weld it with care.

4. euroross

euroross Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2008
    Wow!!!!!

5. Meat_Hammer

Meat_Hammer

Jul 23, 2010
    Need to take a closer photo and in different light. Kinda changes hues, cool metallic color.

6. nc527

nc527

Mar 22, 2009
    looks awesome, but In the event it was used for real, I think the notches in the "talons" would snag in the skin. wouldnt want to get your axe stuck in the head of a zombie

7. absilits

absilits

Nov 30, 2008