My first Spyderco

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Smitty908, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Smitty908

Smitty908

May 12, 2009
    Was out of town for some training this week, stopped in a little local sporting goods place I had never heard of..

Saw this little guy lying in the case without a box or price tag. Thought a buddy had told me the dark blue G-10 Spydercos had some fancy steel. Asked the clerk how much, and he found a similar one (black FRN Native) nearby with a box. He said “this one says 150, but I’ll knock ten percent off that one, since it don’t have a box.”

With the steel liners, this one feels like a solid little knife, and after doing a little research, the CPM S110V seems to be pretty popular.

Think I did ok?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JonesE

JonesE Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Congrats on your first Spyderco. The Native 5 is probably my all time favorite Spyderco.

JonesE

Smitty908 likes this.
  3. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    You got a $200 Spydie for under $150, a classic design in a marvelous steel? I'd say you did OK. :D

Smitty908 likes this.
  4. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    Good job! Use and enjoy. You picked a good one

Smitty908 likes this.
  5. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    The Native is a great little workhorse, and the S110V will cut like a champ.

Smitty908 likes this.
  6. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    It's freaking beautiful, and classy. That's one of the knives on my "list". I am very jealous!

Edit: If that size works for you, maybe try a Para 3 next, for the compression lock?

Smitty908 likes this.
  7. DA170

DA170 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Congratulations on your new Spyderco! It's one of the most pocket friendly and ergonomic knives they make IMO.

Smitty908 likes this.
  8. Buzsaw

Buzsaw

Nov 15, 2020
    Grats on your 1st Spydie, looks great, you did well. :thumbsup:

Smitty908 likes this.
  9. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Yeah, you did good.I’m not a fan of the dark blue/purple scales, but for that price I’d make an exception.

Smitty908 likes this.
  10. UncleBoots

UncleBoots Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2020
    You did great. Um, you do have diamonds to sharpen that little beauty on, don't you?

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  11. Smitty908

Smitty908

May 12, 2009
    Billy, forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the compression lock?

12. Smitty908

Smitty908

May 12, 2009
    UncleBoots,

I am admittedly, not great at sharpening, I normally use an electric one on other knives. It’s a skill that I need to work on.

Do you have a recommendation for a setup to sharpen it?

13. TravisH

TravisH Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Excellent! :thumbsup:

The Native is one of my favs and the largest in my EDC rotation.

14. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Smitty,

Welcome to our forum and please do not use your electric sharpener on that piece.

Sharpening is another part of the blade world that is greater than it seems. "The edge is a ghost" and the care and feeding of that edge will require some effort on your part, especially with the steel you have. I'm biased, but I would suggest you begin with the Sharpmaker, watch the video, go slowly, as you learn. Maybe get a magnifying loupe circa 10X - 12X. There are many here that can assist. Lotsa very knowledgeable folks here. It is a fun adventure to learn to create an edge.

sal

pcguy23, JonesE, sgt1372 and 2 others like this.
  15. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    What Sal said is excellent advice.

Also, you gotta be careful. You got a race car that needs to keep tuned. Don’t drop it if possible, and be cognizant that this knife cuts very, very well.

No prying, no throwing. It’s a high quality, performance based tool, and in turn requires a degree of attention.

Congratulations on your score!

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  16. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    What Sal and Molokai said!! PLEASE do not use an electric sharpener on that beautiful knife! These guys are right. That's a racecar, not a Ford Focus.

Spyderco offers free sharpening service, by the way.

Also, to answer your question, the compression lock is a amooth as butter one hand operated lock. It is much easier to manipulate than a back lock.
    Not that there is anything wrong with a back lock.