1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

My First WIP thread

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by tmanifold, Sep 16, 2013.

1. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    I am currently working a bunch of knives. Steel is 1/8 inch A2. Sorry for the glare on some of the pics. I am still working out how to take good knife pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 on the left are two versions of what will end up being my R.E.T. or Reverse Edge Tanto. The 3rd one is another Reverse edge knife and the 4th is a neck knife. The RET are chisel ground and the other two are conventional sabre grind. They are mostly shaped at this point. I am re grinding the edge on the tantos because they were too acute of an angle.

I am using a 4 X 36 grinder which is less than Ideal but is working out ok.

2. NStricker

NStricker

Feb 23, 2007
    If it were me, I would drill the pin holes in the tang and refine the profile before grinding the bevels.

3. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Shape is all done at this point but I will drill some pin holes tonight before I go any further on the blade. Are pins necessary? OR just better?

4. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    Add a thong hole tonight. I don't think I am going to pin any of the knives but a lanyard fits with the style of knife.

Here is my RET. This is the left most knife above. I think it is turning out the nicest so far. This one shows the new thong hole.

[​IMG]

And here is a good shot of the blade. The edge is turning into a bit of a hollow grind so I will have to keep an eye on that because I want a true chisel blade. The blade just started to get some loving from a 220 grit belt.

[​IMG]

5. NStricker

NStricker

Feb 23, 2007
    Pin holes would be for if u plan to add handle scales. Otherwise you will want to knock off the hard corners on the handle. It may still cause some hotspots even if you do that. I am looking at the RET and trying to figure out what the knife would be used for. What is your plan?

6. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    It is a edge in fighting knife.

7. Grayzer86

Grayzer86

Jan 15, 2012
    I would encourage some more shaping of the tang as right now it looks pretty uncomfortable and not overly ergonomic. I am not trying to be offensive but the necker reminds me a bit of a wooden spoon that comes with a icecream cup. And for a fighting knife I think the other three need more shaping for retention alone. Are you going to put scales on them or will they be wrapped in some way? Pins won't be needed for a wrap, but they will be for handle scales. From my own testing I would not trust a handle without some type of mechanical fastener

8. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    No offense taken. One of the disadvantages of doing non-standard knives is that there are no really accepted dimensions so I have to do things by trial and error until I get the "right" shape. Btw I read somewhere on here about taking notes about your knives and this is something I am doing. The left most knife in the above picture is the 2nd shaping of the RET and I think I am getting closer. The 2nd from the right isn't turning out like the deisgn in my head and I may scrap it and use the remaining steel for another neck knife os some kind. Oh well, learning more every day.

After consultation with a knifemaker buddy and seeing the responses in this thread, I am going to add pins. The handles scales will be micarta, and pins seem to be the consensus with scales of all kinds.

Criticisms, as long as they are constructive, are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

9. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    The second knife from the right, just wasn't working out for me so I reground it into a General Purpose knife. I am not sure I like the blade profile. any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tmanifold

tmanifold

Jul 5, 2010
    Latest knife. This is a standard chisel tip tanto. Chisel ground, 1/8 A2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Grayzer86

Grayzer86

Jan 15, 2012
    A few suggestions I could add, do with them what you will. I think the handles need some work in the shaping to be more ergonomic still. Look at the shapes of most other knives, or knives you find comfortable and use that as reference. Also I would add a bit of curve to the spine of the knife from butt to tip. Even a slight curve will not only feel better and more natural but will add a lot in the flow and looks department as well. As for the chisel grinds, that it's your preference, but that type of single grind on that side of the blade would typically be considered left handed, for a lefty user. I don't know what hand dominant you are so this is speculation, but if you are a righty you may benefit more from having the grind on the other side of the blade.